Will Persi go to jail? Is he truly a vicious animal?

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
blimey! i ddin't realise that the laws were so different either. i'm sure it will be ok as mrblanche said, he is your cat and you aren't going to sue yourself!

it was a nasty situation and he was scared. he didn't attack you, you were there when he freaked out.

loving for you and persi.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending lots of Lee, and hoping this all settles and the authorities don't get carried away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they found me and I have to hand over Persi for ten days. If I fail to hand him over today, I will be cited and fined $2000 per day by the city of Dallas. I am really going to be sick. Have you ever seen a mature man cry? What is his fur going to look like after ten days of no combing among other things such as living in a shelter cage? I should have totally ignored DW and never went to ER. That was my instinct. So, Persi IS going to jail...

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
omgoodness, i am so sorry to hear that... i really didn't believe that they would do that if it was YOUR cat! is there any hope of getting Persi out earlier if you hand them vet records?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is horrible.

I cannot imagine what they are thinking.
Can you get the vet's records and have a quick court hearing or would your vet fax the records to them?
Where is Persi? This could be very damaging.

I am really stunned.

I would be enraged and fight them like a mad tiger.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, I'll be honest with you, I'm surprised at that outcome, but if I were you, and if you can afford it, I would call a lawyer to at least see if you can get his quarantine transferred to your own vet.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this Lee. Did they give you any idea of what is going to happen during and after the quarantine?

I know you're not happy with your wife's decision to go to the ER, but cat bites can be really serious.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

OK, I'll be honest with you, I'm surprised at that outcome, but if I were you, and if you can afford it, I would call a lawyer to at least see if you can get his quarantine transferred to your own vet.
I second that idea...
Have you called your vet yet?
Time is really important for Persi's sanity.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Can you get the vet's records and have a quick court hearing or would your vet fax the records to them?
Persi is the Persian, right?
make sure they know he is a purebred, w/papers [even if he isn't]. find a cat at an online cattery that looks like him - then tell them that is his value, that he is a show cat [again - even if he isn't].
they don't care how much you love him - but they don't want to get sued for boatloads of money because something happened to a monetarily valuable animal in their care.
ask if you can visit him - that way you can brush him [as is necessary for a top-quality show animal - i mean it, be nice, but lay it on thick], do claw maintenance, etc. ask to be allowed to provide his food, as it's important that he keep his coat in top condition.
if they say they'll feed the food, again, tell them how much it costs [pick something REALLY expensive!] & that you'll be able to tell if he isn't fed it. remind them that since he'll need daily grooming, you'll be glad to feed him when you come to do that.
i'll be back in a minute w/some links.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your vet (if you're on good terms with him) might be able to get the cat released to his custody, also.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor Persi!

I would definitely see about having him placed with your own vet, or at least somewhere other than animal control. Insist that they let you visit him each day to check on his wellbeing, groom him, etc.

Please let us know what happens

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Your vet (if you're on good terms with him) might be able to get the cat released to his custody, also.
oooh, good idea!
here's some possibly helpful links:
local Persian/Himalayan cattery: Pawtrix Cove
proven Himalayan stud for sale [for pricing]
spca of texas in dallas
i also researched some prices - seems to be about $500-$650 for a pet quality kitten. shipping ranges from $175-550, depending on where the cat is from, & how fancy you want them to get w/the services.
also add into his value the money you've spent on food, litter & vet trips since you've owned him.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would CALL an ATTORNEY NOW..... IT is YOUR animal ..... Trust me been there with a dog , the mention of an attorney sent the AC PACKING ...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has rabies shot why on EARTH do they need to keep the cat? That makes no sense!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They probably have to take the animal because the laws were written with dogs in mind but wrote so loosely(or poorly) that even a toothless pet bird's bite would get it considered "vicious".

Originally Posted by sharky

I would CALL an ATTORNEY NOW..... IT is YOUR animal ..... Trust me been there with a dog , the mention of an attorney sent the AC PACKING ...
That sounds like an entertaining story.

Definately get a lawyer. I wouldn't let anyone take my cats -Sho would refuse to eat or vomit any junk they tried to feed him and Tomas (who is deathly afraid of strangers) would end up with awful diarrhea just from the stress. The outdoor cats are semi feral/very skittish.

Do as Laureen suggested, let them know just how much it will be costing them if even a hair on Persi's head is out of place.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I really didn't think they would do that if it was your own cat. I would do what's been suggested, call your vet, call your attorney, and do whatever you have to do to keep him safe and comfortable for the 10 days. If you could have him quarantined by your vet that would be ideal, as they will surely take good care of him, and allow you to visit. Poor Persi!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
a couple more links: Dallas Texas Animal Rights
i did a search at this site: lawyers.com
these dallas area lawyers accept credit cards & have a free initial consultation: lawyers
if the link for the above doesn't work, these are the limits i placed on the search: dallas, texas, civil litigation, english, texas bar. then i narrowed further by cc acceptance & free initial consultation... ended up w/about 30 lawyers/firms.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When someone is bitten here, if the cat is owned it only needs to be quarantined (AT HOME!) and available for animal control to come check on it in 10 days. I've never heard of them wanting to take a cat in, who was owned and had vaccinations

I would definitely fight this.