Why do people declaw cats?

flimflam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also had never heard of declawing until I read the sticky about it on this site. I've never seen a declawed cat. I don't think vets do declawing here in the UK (gawd bless 'em).

I like the slight sense of danger about a cat - soft and fluffy but with 4 sets of dirty great big claws. I've been having to explain my tattered right hand recently - too much rough playing with Ronnie - oops!

And I like the fact that Ronnie decided she didn't like the landing wallpaper and ripped a huge chunk off the wall - it means I HAVE to decorate soon.

kyttin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would never declaw any of my cats. That proceedure is horrible. I've not had a problem with my cats clawing my funiture but I buy funiture with cloth that is unappealing for them to claw. They have a scratchnig post that they use. Once in awhile I catch them clawing the carpet and a quick "No!" is all they need to go running to the scratching post. I keep their claws trimed so if they do decide to scratch when I'm not around they won't do any damage anyway.

I too grew up with declawing and was always against it even as a child but my parents ruled then and I had no choice. I suppose I could've said ok I don't want any cats then but I was a child and really did know what all it entailed and I don't think my parents did either.

I have friends and family who have declawed and I spoke my peace about it and told them what it really is but they all had it done anyway. I guess I tried but those poor kitties. I did manage to talk my brother-in-law out of it when he got his 2 kittens, who by the way are bothers of Tomas, my cat.

There are alterantives to declawing I just think people are lazy and don't want to put any effort into training their cats to use a scratching post. As mentioned above there are also Soft Paws but that becomes a hassle to a lot of people cuz you have to reapply when they come off. Hey if it's going to save my cat from one more unnecessary surgery then I'm all for it. I just wish other people felt the same. I also think that a lot of people put declawing in the catagorie with spay/neuter and think it's just a routine proceedure that won't have any ill affects on their cat.

Untill it's illegal them I guess there will always be people who declaw.....sad isn't it.

Kyttin

nenners

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I won't declaw my cats either! I just got Soft Paws a few days ago. Guys they are AWESOME! Ninners has been wearing them. They have not fallen off. At first she licked her paw alot, but she is used to them now. I haven't been able to do my other cats yet. I need to get a bigger size. If you order over the internet it only takes a few days to get your order. Not even a week! I'm monotoring her paws and checking them to make sure nothing is wrong with them. It's fun to see her scratch! She can still pick things up with her paws, she just can't destroy anything with them! If you can't train them and other methods have failed it is definitely worth a try!