Why cat owners refuse to spay-neuter their cats

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, most definitely, I felt bad taking the boys away from their mama, but because of how SHE reacted. They honestly didn't seem to feel one way or the other about it. They were not too keen on going to the vet's office immediately afterwards, that's for sure! But yeah, the mama was really upset, but apparently she was fine within a day or two herself.

I often feel bad for my Penelopy, she had a litter of six babies in July. I often wonder if she misses them. She likes to groom my boys a lot as if they were her babies. Then again, she also likes to get all slinky with them (and they have NO idea what she's up to when she does that), which makes me very happy they are all neutered!

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww, Plan, you have a great bond. Tybalt waits by the door when I go out too. If he's not right there, I can hear his collar jingle when I fiddle with the keys opening the door. He is my shadow, always by my side. You and I have been blessed with great cats!

That's the thing though... I haven't done any research on the subject, but it sure seems that spayed and neutered pets build stronger bonds with their human counter parts. I know the ADA encourages service animals be sterilized, for obvious reasons, but could it be true that sterile pets make better companions?

I had a tom cat, ages ago, back when my family still believed you should never neuter your toms, who was my knight in shining armor. He disliked people and wanted nothing to do with me, but he was my best friend. However, because he was intact, he was never home, and eventually, the other neighborhood tom won a fight against him that proved fatal. Because of him, I don't doubt the bonds intact animals form with their humans, but the bond of those that are sterile sure is different, even unique.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

I brought Bud to get neutered before he hit kitty puberty, and I know it was the right thing to do -- at least nowadays, with the medical science we have -- but I have to admit I do feel bad about it. Sometimes I feel really bad about it, just like I feel bad about taking him away from his mom, and I feel bad that he'll never see his brothers and sisters again. I wonder if he misses them. I mean, he has to, right?

I can only hope that his life is better with me than without me, and I try to do everything I can to make his life better.
The alternative to you having and loving him is perhaps not having a home a life and love.