Why cat owners refuse to spay-neuter their cats

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I know someone who adopted a dog where the breeder doesnt want him neutered until 3 years to allow him to grow to his full potential
It's a pitbull, his full potential is going to be about 40-45lbs and around knee height. They hit that easily before 2 years.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother did not even have to pay to have his pit bull altered because of the breed it was done for free.
My Coco was never altered because it would have killed her with all her problems.
She is now 18 and thank god she no longer goes in heat.
She was so loud when she went in heat.
Wrinkles breeder does not let kittens get altered until they are 6-7 months old.
I paid $400 to have my vet do it lapo so she would heal faster.
She trusted me also and never asked if I altered her.
I gave her the info anyway.
I hope she does not get burnt one day by letting unaltered kittens go to homes.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I hope she does not get burnt one day by letting unaltered kittens go to homes.
I'm sure she probably will.
You can't be trusting if there's any money to be made, someone will get greedy.

I didn't know pits could be done free anywhere. There's certainly enough of them that there doesn't need to be BYBers or oops mix litters. German shepherds and rottweiler fall into that category, too..

I still have one female kitten that isn't spay, yet. The vet says that she seems healthy, but this has to be one of the slowest growing kittens I've ever had. Soon her brother literally will be twice her size. At near 7 months she still has not even had a heat.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one other cat that we have not been able to have fixed either because she has problems.
She has fcks and was the runt of the litter because of that.
Her heart is tilted and her lungs are not shaped right.
They took xrays and everything.
We even got a 2nd opinion.
I do not know what I will do if she ever needs surgery for anything.
She will be 3 in August.
My brother lives in Santa Rosa and that is where the pit was altered.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have one other cat that we have not been able to have fixed either because she has problems.
She has fcks and was the runt of the litter because of that.
Her heart is tilted and her lungs are not shaped right.
They took xrays and everything.
We even got a 2nd opinion.
I do not know what I will do if she ever needs surgery for anything.
She will be 3 in August.
My brother lives in Santa Rosa and that is where the pit was altered.
I don't think that's a problem with her. But if she doesn't put on an inch here soon I'm going to ask the vet to make sure nothing is seriously wrong with her. For her size, through, her weight is good and her activity level is typical kitten. She's loud to begin with so I don't want to find out how much louder she can get.

I hope your girl keeps going strong.

And better free spay and neuters for the breed than breed bans.
If there were more options for this, everywhere, I feel more people would get their pets spay and neutered - because honestly, who wants to deal with litter after litter of puppies and kittens? Some say they're cute and that they enjoy them, but even they get tired of it.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
There are breed bans in some of the cities out here.
My sister and her bf are looking for a small dog.
I suggested they go to the pound to look for a dog.
They went the other day and 90% of the dogs there were pits.
They want a dog that is 30 pounds or less.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My sister and her bf are looking for a small dog.
I suggested they go to the pound to look for a dog.
They went the other day and 90% of the dogs there were pits.
They want a dog that is 30 pounds or less.
It's actually really hard to tell what is and isn't a pit - they're so mixed anymore and there are other dogs and crosses that look like them. Boston terrier crosses look pit-like.
Do warn her that any terrier may be a bit iffy with cats if not raised with them (same with pits, they're a terrier after all). I hope they can find a good dog, though - and hopefully already fixed so they don't have to worry about it.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do not want a pit anyway and she has a husky/golden mix that she got last year.
He is very hard to handle.
The dog is for her bf so he will be picking the dog.
He likes Boston Terriers,Chihuahuas and the small dogs.

bravevline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok first I made this account just post here. I'm guessing you all live in the city. We live in a farm and let me tell you, the rules are a bit different out here. We have barn kitties, but the only time any animal gets neutered around here is either fire fire medical reasons, or for slaughtering. These cats don't come inside the house. I love all of my animals dearly but my house is the one place where there are no animals around. Each one has their place. The cats mice (and let me tell you, a nursing queen is the best mouser you will ever live to see). The dogs guard many of the animals, the chickens keep scratched up so we can see snakes, the list goes on. Everyone helps each other in some form, but you should know, if I had my dogs neutered, they would surely be horrible guard dogs. They are all well trained and do not roam the earth. The cats roam sometimes, but they are nigh useless for mousing if they are neutered. Also, I can just imagine all the predators that come around here. Coyotes, raccoons, opossums, snakes, foxes, Hawks, owls... a neutered or spayed cat would not stand much a chance against any of those. Our barn kitties come and go. They breed with cats from neighboring ranchers. New ones come here to breed. Just the way it is. Btw, getting a male animal neutered won't prevent or even Lessing new ones from being born. I can tell you from experience. That female is still gonna get pregnant somewhere else, and will still have the same amount of kittens.

raerae624

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in the country on a farm too with a lot of animals as well (dogs cats horses chickens and ducks) and all of our cats and dogs are altered...none of my animals have any problems with mousing, hunting, patrolling or guarding anything. I don't believe at all that altered animals are useless and I can attest to it every day one of my 8 cats brings me a mole or a bird or a mouse or a snake (which happens on pretty much a daily basis in the warmer months)...btw most of my cats are "barn cats" too...

My dogs are both neutered as well and they have no issues with guarding and patrolling our property. One even helps to keep the rodent and groundhog population down, which can be a nuisance here in the country. By fixing all of our animals, strays stopped coming around too which I believe is beneficial to my animals' health.

I had a dog when I was much younger that didn't get fixed and she ended up developing pretty rapidly progressing breast cancer even though she never had a litter of puppies in her life, and I honestly believe she would have lasted much longer than 13 years if my parents had just gotten her fixed. She was very moody too every time she went into heat until finally it seemed like she was just a miserable old curmudgeon in her senior years. Ever since then I've made sure that every pet that I own gets neutered or spayed

raerae624

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, we have had cats on our property ever since we moved here 13 years ago and have NEVER lost one to or had one injured by a predator...there are hawks, eagles, snakes, possums, foxes, coyotes, owls, raccoons and other creatures that roam freely here and my cats have no issues with them. For 3 years we had 4 bald eagles living in our backyard. In fact one of my cats is so territorial and fierce she will chase any animals off the property that don't belong. Same with my dogs.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a few farms around here that actually spay/neuter the farm cats, although there's so little regard for cats that it's still fairly rare. In general, the altered cats live longer and hang around the property more. It's widely considered that tomcats are useless for mousing (they usually steal prey from the females), but a neutered male will at least sometimes hunt, for fun. And a nursing mother may hunt more mice, but having so many litters without proper nutrition will shorten her lifespan so she won't be hunting for long. And of course, the draconian and barbaric population control measures that are considered necessary when the cats aren't altered. . .ugh.

Anyway, of course those who don't care about their farm cats are extremely insulting to those who do care about cats, so I don't expect the debate to end any time soon ;). But as the older generation dies or retires and moves to town, things are gradually changing for the better.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok first I made this account just post here. I'm guessing you all live in the city. We live in a farm and let me tell you, the rules are a bit different out here. We have barn kitties, but the only time any animal gets neutered around here is either fire fire medical reasons, or for slaughtering. These cats don't come inside the house. I love all of my animals dearly but my house is the one place where there are no animals around. Each one has their place. The cats mice (and let me tell you, a nursing queen is the best mouser you will ever live to see). The dogs guard many of the animals, the chickens keep scratched up so we can see snakes, the list goes on. Everyone helps each other in some form, but you should know, if I had my dogs neutered, they would surely be horrible guard dogs. They are all well trained and do not roam the earth. The cats roam sometimes, but they are nigh useless for mousing if they are neutered. Also, I can just imagine all the predators that come around here. Coyotes, raccoons, opossums, snakes, foxes, Hawks, owls... a neutered or spayed cat would not stand much a chance against any of those. Our barn kitties come and go. They breed with cats from neighboring ranchers. New ones come here to breed. Just the way it is. Btw, getting a male animal neutered won't prevent or even Lessing new ones from being born. I can tell you from experience. That female is still gonna get pregnant somewhere else, and will still have the same amount of kittens.
My neighbors/relatives have this kind of thinking. While it gave us our Kitten and Mook that doesn't account for the untold litters of kittens that died or lived miserable lives. The animal suffering caused by their ignorance has led to a rift in our family that will never heal.  My FIL said the same thing, cats come and go. He never stopped to think about how they go. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The idea that neutered males won't hunt and catch mice is a myth. I have a neutered male and so far (year and a half) he has caught 10 mice - in the house. If he lived on a farm, he would be a terror to the small rodent population. It would never be necessary to feed him.

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was raised in a family that honestly thought spaying/neutering was cruel, and that if you did, you'd spay your females and leave the males alone. It didn't take long after my mother moved us to the country and started taking care of feral cats people dumped out there (usually because they were pregnant and didn't want the kittens), that changed our minds. There was even a day we caught someone in the act of dumping their very pregnant cat, and my furious mother ran out of the house and threw a rock at their car window. The dude slammed on his breaks like was going to get out, but it was either the sight of a tiny, very angry woman running at him, or me standing there trying to write down his plate number that made him peel out! [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Though, the biggest argument I hear is actually "it costs too much".

The problem with that is... Having a cat, one single cat, costs way more, not to mention a whole litter!

My mother saves a portion of her tax returns every year to spay and neuter any cats that show up out there, and has ever year since the first cat came up with her kittens. She's not affiliated with any rescues or rehabs. This is something she does out of the goodness of her own heart. There was even one year she was afraid she couldn't get them all taken in, and I scrambled all around trying to find someone to help her. Luckily an animal control officer in the neighboring county offered to pay for two cats at least, out of her own pocket. She knew the pain of unsterilized cats and abandoned kittens, all too well. I don't remember if my mother actually met up with the lady or not, but I do know they all got to the vet in time! The kittens were super close too! All between 6-8 months! We were so lucky!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

The idea that neutered males won't hunt and catch mice is a myth. I have a neutered male and so far (year and a half) he has caught 10 mice - in the house. If he lived on a farm, he would be a terror to the small rodent population. It would never be necessary to feed him.
I don't use cats. It wouldn't bother me to install a couple of feral cats and shelter and supplement their food. I would simply because of people like my relative neighbors end up with 20 cats in the yard. I use tomcat bait stations securely anchored down. I haven't seen a mouse in years.

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy is neutered and I haven't seen a gecko, wolf spider, catterpiller, beetle, roach or any other critter in my apartment since he moved in! He's paying rent! Hehehe!

Not only that, but my mother has about a dozen cats around her house, male and female, all sterilized, and she has never seen a snake that wasn't dead!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I was raised in a family that honestly thought spaying/neutering was cruel, and that if you did, you'd spay your females and leave the males alone. It didn't take long after my mother moved us to the country and started taking care of feral cats people dumped out there (usually because they were pregnant and didn't want the kittens), that changed our minds. There was even a day we caught someone in the act of dumping their very pregnant cat, and my furious mother ran out of the house and threw a rock at their car window. The dude slammed on his breaks like was going to get out, but it was either the sight of a tiny, very angry woman running at him, or me standing there trying to write down his plate number that made him peel out! [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Though, the biggest argument I hear is actually "it costs too much".

The problem with that is... Having a cat, one single cat, costs way more, not to mention a whole litter!

My mother saves a portion of her tax returns every year to spay and neuter any cats that show up out there, and has ever year since the first cat came up with her kittens. She's not affiliated with any rescues or rehabs. This is something she does out of the goodness of her own heart. There was even one year she was afraid she couldn't get them all taken in, and I scrambled all around trying to find someone to help her. Luckily an animal control officer in the neighboring county offered to pay for two cats at least, out of her own pocket. She knew the pain of unsterilized cats and abandoned kittens, all too well. I don't remember if my mother actually met up with the lady or not, but I do know they all got to the vet in time! The kittens were super close too! All between 6-8 months! We were so lucky!
My relatives have some sort of religious thing about spaying and neutering any of their pets. After Kitten was spayed they referred to her as an IT. They also thought /think it is cruel to keep them inside. I caught my FIL trying to let Kitten out once. They are simply not welcome here anymore. Of course they aren't bothered when they get killed either.

Using the idea that a cat won't mouse if fixed is nonsense. Using common sense that if they aren't altered they are going to either have kittens or contribute to the population somewhere else. It's the old thinking that cats are somehow disposable and easily replaced. Which thanks to people who refuse to S/N is all too true.

When I picked Mercy up there were cages full of little kittens reaching through the cages just trying to touch me. I did not let my self make eye contact. The only cat there that happened with was one I had seen on petfinders. 8 year old tortie dumped after her owner died. She seen me and we locked eyes and she jumped up with the most plaintive meow of help me.

I hope someone took her home. I really do. She was marked as being antisocial with other cats. There was no way I could take her. Mostly I wish I had.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, the female cat will never get pregnant by ANYONE if she's spayed!

And there are plenty of folks that take care of feral colonies, including the spaying/neutering of them. TNR (trap / neuter / return) of ferals really does help to reduce the over-population of kitties out there. And NOT spaying / neutering contributes so much to the over-population. And the idea that "just because no one else does it" does not sound like a good reason for anyone else to not do it.

I religiously spay and neuter my cats now. And one thing I like about my vet is that when he discusses spay/neuter, he doesn't ask "Do you want to spay/neuter?" (even though it is optional). He right off the bat discusses when it will be the appropriate time to spay/neuter.

We also have a lot ferals in the area. The places that owns the land we sit on actually TNR'd all the cats a couple of years ago, and last year we didn't have nearly as many, but I don't think the new management has maintained it. I wish I could afford to take them in myself.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My relatives have some sort of religious thing about spaying and neutering any of their pets. After Kitten was spayed they referred to her as an IT.
Oh my. No one would ever refer to Penelopy as an "IT" because she perpetually acts like she's in heat (although not as loud), even though she was spayed on December 23rd. She's a slinky little girl! My brother actually thought she wasn't spayed yet.

As dysfunctional as my family was, when it came to critters, we at least did right by them and always made sure they were spayed and neutered. I was raised with that idea, even before I knew what it meant to spay and neuter. I was sad as a little kid that we wouldn't have kittens (that's all that I understood about spaying/neutering at the time), but with time I learned just how many kittens there were in the world.