Why are there so many women on The Cat Site?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

I read once that often men dislike cats because they have an inherent need to control things, and cats resist being controlled and always assert their independence. That's why men are generally dog people and women are generally cat people. Don't know how true that is, but thought it was interesting anyway.
This is what I think. Now I know several men that love cats so I don't believe this is true for all men, and I don't think it's an inherent need to control things, I think it's a norm of our society that little boys are taught to control things and little girls are taught to love things. I actually find this whole discussion interesting as I was just talking to a friend about this the other night. I think that men or women who dislike cats don't like that they can not be controlled.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scott prefers cats BECAUSE of their independence!!!

He pays for half of everything, just doesn't do the necessities. He will when I'm away, and I have to remind him as he is oblivious to a lot of things.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mike is wonderful with our cats, he helps with getting them fed, he comes with me to the vet, he plays with them & gives lots of attention, but it's always me who does the litterbox!

When Mini came into our lives as a shop kitten no bigger than a Beanie Baby, he shared the bottle feeding duties. He worries about them & loves them like I do, what more could a girl ask for?
But on a side note,he's not much of a forum kind of guy.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me personally- i LOVE TCS because of all the wonerful people, good conversation, and great information that is available
It's also great that i can relate to other animal lovers who adore their animals the same way i do and want to help others as much as possible. TCS is a lovely place- i can't speak highly enough of it

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

I think it is because we are used to being primary care providers and aren't afraid to ask questions that may make us look stupid!
I think there's more than an element of truth there in most cases.

Originally Posted by sofiecusion

The men we live with may love the cats, but WE are the the ones who do all of the cats' necessities (feeding, bathing, grooming, healthcare, etc). I noticed that is true with most couples who have cats.
That's mostly true in our situation, but Rob is the designated (by the cats) groomer, and vet visits we do together, unless one is not able to go.

Originally Posted by Rang_27

This is what I think. Now I know several men that love cats so I don't believe this is true for all men, and I don't think it's an inherent need to control things, I think it's a norm of our society that little boys are taught to control things and little girls are taught to love things. I actually find this whole discussion interesting as I was just talking to a friend about this the other night. I think that men or women who dislike cats don't like that they can not be controlled.
I think that's very true. It's also one of the charms of cats, that they cannot be controlled, and one of the things we express appreciation for every time we find ourselves marvelling at the fact that these very independent creatures actually WANT to associate with humans (ours our indoor/outdoor, so we often have that "what makes them WANT to be here?" conversation).

Rob is a convert from dogs, and now much more a cat person. We have several male friends who are definitely cat people, one of whom is a total cat magnet -- they simply march into his house as if there's a cat sign on it that says "Cat Hostel -- make yourself at home". All of these guys are also more than sufficiently into computers and technology to get into online forums if they wanted to. But instead, they love their kitties to death, send me their photos to post, and ask "what would they say on TCS?" One of these days maybe I'll convince one of them to take the plunge, but I'm not holding my breath.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol, man, i so disagree with many of the statments here. Like in almost every house hold i know with cats the male is the one that cleans litter, and does the vet trip stuff. How will i agree its not normal, for a guy to make baby sounds, and i dont do tthat at babies anymore then i do at my cats.

Most guys are just not going to sit around on a internet site and talk about animals. Like i always said, what started me posting here more then just reading was when i was no longer able to access some of the other forums i used to read at work.

i have also always wonder what this thing about you cant control a cat. My cats come when called, play fetch, stay with me in what ever room i am in.
even eazy has been staying off the counters, they know not to wake me, or they are put out of the bedroom. I have seen barn cats follow me or my uncles all around the yard, into the woods. i remember my grandfather talking about how couple of the barn cats always went hunting with him.

i wonder if maybe, the reason my cats and some of my other male friends cats seem to act a little different is that its the males that aer the one taking care of them? maybe

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

i wonder if maybe, the reason my cats and some of my other male friends cats seem to act a little different is that its the males that aer the one taking care of them? maybe
I will admit that there may be some truth to that. Matt had Magnum, Boomer and Bumper before I met him / moved in with him. They all come when called, stay off counters etc. Boomer has actually got badly behaved since I moved in, he used to be very timid and shy and now he is a terror

Scully on the other hand, I had more to do with, and he had some qualities that obviously come from his other home (he was 8 when we got him) but he has changed a lot since then too. He is harder to control, doesn't always listen etc.

Matt is always telling me that I am too soft on them and that is why they don't behave, or why Bumper pukes for attention (and he did that before I moved in
). I think men in general are stricter with cats and set boundaries compared to some / most women which changes their behaviour.

Many people say our cats act more like dogs, and maybe the men = dogs / women = cats thing overlaps when women have dogs and men have cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I think men in general are stricter with cats and set boundaries compared to some / most women which changes their behaviour.
When we are out of town (DW and I), have one of my sister-in-laws take care of the two cats including the combing of Persi. The other night they were over and I was combing Persi the way I usually do. My sister-in-laws were screaming in horror at how "hard" I was combing him and how rough I was being with him. Persi by the way, just layed there and gave no vocal complaints at all. So how could it be that I was being mean? I then explained that if I did not comb him that way he would soon have mats and hairballs. I then complained to them that they were the mean ones. So another possibility: not stricter, just see things differently.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lol, man, i so disagree with many of the statments here. Like in almost every house hold i know with cats the male is the one that cleans litter, and does the vet trip stuff. How will i agree its not normal, for a guy to make baby sounds, and i dont do tthat at babies anymore then i do at my cats.
I am shocked at that! I don't know a single guy that takes any of their animals to the vet?! (or their kids for that matter?!) Unless of course they are the only human in the house...
My DH would if necessary.... but he prefer's not too. Saying "no way, I'm not gonna be the bad guy putting her through going to the vet!"
He does feed them in the AM, but it's only cause he wakes up at 5:30am, and they will all be sitting on his head to eat if he doesn't feed them. I do everything else, litter, pm feedings, grooming, vacs/nt/spays & record keeping of each.... He wouldn't even give Louie his amoxicillan when he was sick... he said "NO WAY! He'll hate me!"
I told DH LuckyGirl is due for her annual & he says "again?!?!" Um, yes that's what annual means dinkus.

for you Brucie, your 1 in a million!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

When we are out of town (DW and I), have one of my sister-in-laws take care of the two cats including the combing of Persi. The other night they were over and I was combing Persi the way I usually do. My sister-in-laws were screaming in horror at how "hard" I was combing him and how rough I was being with him. Persi by the way, just layed there and gave no vocal complaints at all. So how could it be that I was being mean? I then explained that if I did not comb him that way he would soon have mats and hairballs. I then complained to them that they were the mean ones. So another possibility: not stricter, just see things differently.
Grooming hard to ensure a good coat and no matting isn't stricter, just common sense with a long hair, but most guys I know with cats are more likely to tell their cats no and stick to it.

Example: Matt hates the cats sleeping in the bathtub because Boomer can turn on the taps for water
and he worries about him putting a toy in the drain hole and flooding the place and they track litter into it which means he actually has to rinse it before using it. He sees them in the tub, he picks them up and puts them somewhere else and tells them they are bad. Me, I sit on the edge of the tub and tell him how cute he is turning on the taps for water himself and ask why he ignores every water bowl or fountain in the place.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

I am shocked at that! I don't know a single guy that takes any of their animals to the vet?! (or their kids for that matter?!) Unless of course they are the only human in the house...

for you Brucie, your 1 in a million!
you hang out witht he wrong guys my friend
, around here its seems the guys take the animals to the vet, at least that seems to be who i see in the office here.

as for the kids, hmm no way, not going to the doctor office

that is her job, the animals are mine

does that sound fair ?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

you hang out witht he wrong guys my friend
, around here its seems the guys take the animals to the vet, at least that seems to be who i see in the office here.

as for the kids, hmm no way, not going to the doctor office

that is her job, the animals are mine

does that sound fair ?
Bruce, you got any brothers?