who's tried cat food??

jellybelly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so laughing MAO!!!!!! Sicy, the emoticons cracked me up then mzjazz put the final touch!!! LOL! I'm actually crying!!!

Suraya, don't feel weird, I was one who preferred mudpies and drinking out of the toilet when I was little!
And I did eat dogfood, a bit dry so I would add water to moisten it for me and my then favorite pet in the whole wide world, Smoky the beautiful german sheperd.

I'm still laughing, sorry Sicy!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL I voted YES, Of course I have, Jellymeat, every thing.. you may think I'm nuts and I don't give a $&!t if you do but I ALWAYS try cat food before my cats eat it, it has 2 be good enough for me before they eat it... Dog food
NEVER!

Sam.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I knew someone who had worked somewhere in the chain of meat processing. It was amazing to hear about how they utilize everything that comes from the pig, including shaving off the hair and selling it. (I wish I could remember what it was used for after it was sold.) There was an area they called "the pit" that was the base for processing any animals that weren't fit for human consumption. That was the stuff they used for pet food. I don't want to make anyone's stomach turn, so I'll leave most of that to your imagination.

Our standards for human consumption can get low enough as it is and some companies who make "no name" hot dogs and burger patties will use the some of the least desireable meat that comes from around the spine. That's how that young female student in the UK got mad cow disease. Apparently, dogs and cats wouldn't be susceptible to it. I'm not convinced that some of the brand names would be much better. I don't buy burger patties and hot dogs, so I would never try pet food.

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hydroaxe is that true? That's gross. mmm "the pit", doesn't that sound nice??

I may have missed something but did you say that no name brands use lesser quality than name brands??

I always thought they used the same product but one was cheaper. Like Tylenol, you know, it's the same no matter what brand you use...

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, "the pit" is an understatement.
It's true though. I was surprised to find that some of the things I was told about the pit were repeated in the following article I found. I guess other companies refer to it as "the pit" as well. I found out even more disgusting things while reading it.
I doubt you'll ever see this smiley from me again. Barf alert!

http://chetday.com/cannibal.htm

This next article discusses things from a pet lovers perspective. It's not fun to read either.

http://www.preciouspets.org/report.htm

Here's an article in USA Today. It mentions what I said about the no name brands for human consumption.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...cow-usat_x.htm

jellybelly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately this is true. Even when it comes to 'generic' mediciations, it is at its worse, because it may be the same brand, but they could have more of the other 'fillers' in there, and 'generic' medications don't work as well or may cause more side effects. I used to work for a medical insurance company and this was all the 'crap' I used to hear.

I also studied environmental science and you would be shocked to know what the FDA and EPA would approve in our foods. Just hearing those things made me not want to eat anything packaged or sold in the grocers unless I was growing it myself.
I remember awhile back in the 90s when Dateline and 20/20 would do shows where they would visit 'meat' markets, how they would package hams and what they did with pigs and what they did with chickens, etc. My father totally stopped eating pork products and was very careful about his chicken. It made me not eat pork anymore especially ham since that was my favorite. A lot of stores, if the ham isn't sold by a certain date, would just repackage it by sticking it in vinegar solution and stick another label on it. And the pig factories, were absolutely at its worse! Then to find out how gelatin was made, from the pigs joints and feet, for some reason just grossed me out completely! Yeck! Anyway, we just stopped eating pork entirely. Which was hard in the beginning because it was so inbedded in us to eat it, for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner. But now, it's not as bad, there are other alternatives out there, not that I'm touting the 'vegetarian' lifestyle, (I'm a meat eater)
I still eat my chicken and beef but from select butcher shops that I know where they get their meats from. Anyway....my tummy's about to churn and I need my cup of java! Yikes!

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup but only dry food.
At that I was trying to switch Loki to a holistic food and I wanted to know why he was not touching some of the stuff - no wonder it had no taste in comparison to the dry I was feeding him. Found one that was similar in taste and no problem.

jellybelly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here, I used to have this other cat which I had no idea what to feed or what litter to use, etc, my neighbor was one of those 'holistic' women and was telling me the wrong stuff, well at least, for my cat it was not working, the organic stuff was completely stinky, she wouldn't eat it and would poop the most foul smelling poop and she was a bit mental, of course at that time, I wasn't home since I was working and I was completely ignorant of how to raise a cat, which now I regret ever giving her back
The things I know now, I never would have given her back.
Which would explain why I spoil my JB so much.
He's happy now for sure!!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried Science Diet dry food. It didn't have much taste.
When my s/o was in the Navy, he would bring sardines and tuna for lunch, and the other guys would tease him about eatng cat food. One day he got a can of Fancy Fast and ate it with crackers. He said it made them all sick.

jellybelly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suraya, you really shouldn't feel bad anymore with someone eating it for 'fun' and with crackers might I add!!
LOL!!! Whew, I bet it was funny to see the looks on their faces!!!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Hydroaxe
That's how that young female student in the UK got mad cow disease. Apparently, dogs and cats wouldn't be susceptible to it.
Unfortunately, there have been a lot of cases of BSE/mad cow disease among cats both big and small, in particular in Britain and Switzerland. That's why our cat gets imported and/or organic food.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I stand corrected. All the other issues are well documented though. Maybe I heard that some animals weren't "as" susceptible to the disease as humans. Dogs and wolves have the most acidic stomachs of all mammals and cats have very acidic stomachs too, but not as much as the dogs.

jellybelly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay! You pushed me to it, I figured out of the 8 people that voted on the poll that ate the cat food versus the 22 who are too chicken (that's right, I called ya 'chicken')
to try it, I did it, just now!!!

And my vote is yeck to IAMS which I've been feeding my cat since I first got him at 5 weeks of age, he is now 3 1/2 years old! That stuff is icky yecky grotty but easy on the teeth, at first you taste the corn meal and then it just gets really icky tasting. So then I tried the cat meow mix which I've recently started sneaking in because it's much cheaper and affordable and easily fits into my mini grocery budget and I liked that one much better. you can taste the corn meal and then you taste what seems to be dried fishy/shrimpy taste. It's not bad at all, as a matter of fact I think I might get a few more pieces just to snack on.

So I'm still alive thus far. Next I'll test his treats that he seems to love and gain the most weight from
LOL!

So far, two thumbs up for Meow Mix and thumbs down to IAMS!