Who is more unethical Mc Donalds or your local school board?

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LottomagicZ4941

Plus a simple multi vitamine would have midigated the health conquences.

But many 13 year olds don't take multi vitamines.

He would have diluted his point.
I don't mean to sound disagreeable, but a multivitamin is not going to mitigate the health consequences of eating a McMeal. They don't do anything to get rid of the saturated and trans fat that has just been consumed. You're fooling yourself if you think you can eat whatever you want and then just take a multivitamin and be healthy. If that were true then everyone would be a lot healthier.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is nothing inherently wrong with any food, it's just how much you eat it. My schools had Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, sometimes Arby's, etc... but they also had your standard school fare. They changed all that and took out the pop machines the year after I graduated. Before they took it out, they were doing what the kids and parents wanted. Mind you, they also required us to take gym class every day for an hour until we were 16, starting in kindergarten.

Now, we also had open lunch, so juniors and seniors could go anywhere they wanted-- and we did, including doing some not-very-legal things. That was all our own responsibility too.

Nobody is at fault except for the people who are eating the crap. I think that the mentality of blaming the producers of things that are bad for you is why Americans are so unhealthy. It isn't the tobacco company's fault that people still start smoking, it isn't Miller Lite's fault I drink too much, it isn't McDonald's fault that kids are obese. Nobody can pretend to think that eating McDonald's every day is in any way healthy for you. For one thing, nutrition information from all these chains has been readily available for years. Not reading it makes you a bad consumer, it doesn't make McDonald's a bad business. They make junk food. They do a good job of it, and it has always been and will always be our own decision to eat it, our own fault we haven't educated ourselves better, our own fault that we don't exercise, etc etc etc.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

Ok, first you don't have to eat McD's. No one is holding a gun forcing people to eat at McD's.

Second parents are responsible for what their kids eat! If you raise them on happy meals they are going to want to eat only happy meals!

School lunches aren't fit for adults to eat. Now I will admit this may only be in my county and state. I have gone to lunch with all three of my boys at different times and different schools over the years and they suck. To fix the school lunches is going to take a complete overhaul and that's not going to happen when school lunches cost 1.40 and under. You are not going to get good lunches at that price. IMO

I have a co-worker whose son is 11 and will only eat fast food or the equivalent like pizza pockets, hotdogs, corndogs. She actually makes to separate dinners. One for her and the other kids and one for this son.
Unbelievable but true. Blows my mind. If I didn't like what's for dinner I didn't eat and I raised my boys that way as well.

It starts at home!
You said excatly what I was gonna say.

Parents have to teach their children, we have older kids that come in the afternoon where I work. There are several children there who are overweight right now, and they are not above the fifth grade. These kids are gonna be so overweight by the time they get to high school.

I personally don't think it is up to the school system to decide what kids wanna eat. I don't even think they should have a bunch of choices, they should just serve a meal and that be it. If the kids don't wanna eat it they can bring a lunch from home. Most parents though would be to lazy to get up and fix it for them.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

There is nothing inherently wrong with any food, it's just how much you eat it. My schools had Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, sometimes Arby's, etc... but they also had your standard school fare. They changed all that and took out the pop machines the year after I graduated. Before they took it out, they were doing what the kids and parents wanted. Mind you, they also required us to take gym class every day for an hour until we were 16, starting in kindergarten.

Now, we also had open lunch, so juniors and seniors could go anywhere they wanted-- and we did, including doing some not-very-legal things. That was all our own responsibility too.

Nobody is at fault except for the people who are eating the crap. I think that the mentality of blaming the producers of things that are bad for you is why Americans are so unhealthy. It isn't the tobacco company's fault that people still start smoking, it isn't Miller Lite's fault I drink too much, it isn't McDonald's fault that kids are obese. Nobody can pretend to think that eating McDonald's every day is in any way healthy for you. For one thing, nutrition information from all these chains has been readily available for years. Not reading it makes you a bad consumer, it doesn't make McDonald's a bad business. They make junk food. They do a good job of it, and it has always been and will always be our own decision to eat it, our own fault we haven't educated ourselves better, our own fault that we don't exercise, etc etc etc.
I so agree with all of this.

McD's is just producing what sells bigtime. If everyone stopped buying it, their menu would change super-fast. If Americans were demanding healthier food, we'd be getting it. Most of us don't care what we put into our mouths. Or at least don't care enough to stop eating crap.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not the schools who should be teaching kids how to eat, it's the parents!!!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Second parents are responsible for what their kids eat! If you raise them on happy meals they are going to want to eat only happy meals! It starts at home!
so, so true! when i was school-age, i brought my lunch.

School lunches aren't fit for adults to eat. To fix the school lunches is going to take a complete overhaul and that's not going to happen when school lunches cost 1.40 and under. You are not going to get good lunches at that price.
wow - they're that cheap where you are? here, kids lunches cost $2.50 & the adult version is $2.75 - a real rip-off, since the contents of the 'adult' lunch are identical to the kids lunch, in portion size, etc. here's a sample menu for a thursday:
breakfast: choice of
breakfast pizza or dry cereal w/milk
plus fruit juice
milk for drinking
lunch: choice of
chicken fried steak & a roll
or turkey sandwich
plus baked potato [1/2]
broccoli normandy [i think maybe this means w/cheese?]
fruit & fruit juice
milk
milk comes in 2% white, or 1% chocolate or strawberry.
kids must choose at least 3 items for lunch & can choose up to 5 items, but only 1 entree item.
growing children need fat, unlike adults. it's vital for brain development. that said - most kids get way more than they need.