Who cooks from scratch?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm having trouble believing so many people don't know what a Jello salad is. It's fruit-flavored gelatin with fruit in it. I made it a lot when my kids were growing up. Grocery stores sell bunches of it, so someone is eating it. It's available with and without sugar.
View attachment 430175
I'm all too aware of it. I even have a vague memory of some of the fruits you can't put in Jello salad.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fresh or frozen pineapple. The gelatin won't solidify with this type of pineapple in it. Canned is fine. One of my favorites is orange Jello with crushed pineapple and mandarin oranges.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's what I thought. Pineapple. As much as I hate Jello gelatin, I love their pudding. I can remember when it came in a can and miss it so much. Don't get me wrong. I like the plastic containers, but the canned tasted different. For my birthday every year, I make myself a chocolate Jello pie. It's what I always requested from my mom instead of a cake, though she could make a variety of delicious cakes.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every once in a great while I want Jello. It doesn't happen very often; my preference is cherry or black cherry. I have it once and I'm done. I think it is a bit of a comfort food for me. I got it when I was sick as a kid. That is also the only time I got 7up, we did not routinely keep soda in the house. Soda was a special treat and 7up was for when I was sick.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
On things that should not go into Jello salad… carrots and olives in green Jello.
Some of you know what I’m talking about. It’s very much a 50’s thing.
My Hubby‘s mom made it for almost every holiday. Some of his siblings still ask for it.
I refuse to make it in my house.
Thankfully, Hubby is okay with that.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my son (now 18) was young, he went through a short phase where he wanted "Jello."

As I found the artificial flavors and colors problematic, I turned to using unflavored Knox gelatin with natural fruit and juices to make something he enjoyed during the mercifully short "phase."

Bill

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never liked those vegetable Jello salads either. Jello tried advertising them for a while and then gave up.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
18. I quit eating meat when I was a kid so I never cooked anything with meat. I have a sweet tooth and when I went vegan for 12 years I had to cook sweets from scratch if I wanted to eat brownies, cakes, cookies, pancakes, etc.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what 'made chili' means
Chili is a. . .stew? I guess. With beans and meat, chili powder and cumin. The beans are optional (hotly debated), the meat is optional (I've made vegetarian chili plenty of times), and, well, I guess now I don't even know what defines chili, lol, except that there's a certain flavor profile that's expected.

Goes well with cornbread :lol: .

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Chili is a. . .stew? I guess. With beans and meat, chili powder and cumin. The beans are optional (hotly debated), the meat is optional (I've made vegetarian chili plenty of times), and, well, I guess now I don't even know what defines chili, lol, except that there's a certain flavor profile that's expected.

:lol:
That'll be chili con carne then.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have never heard you could make chili without beans. I thought those were the main ingredient!

My mom always made it with macaroni growing up, which I guess is technically chili mac but we just called it chili. And I hated it because tomatoes. But I've had some good white chilis as an adult that I like.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My grandma loved her fruit salad. I always attribute that to her because it was pretty much always in her refrigerator. I can still hear her say “Come have a nice dish of fruit salad.” :redheartpump:

Every now and then I get a nostalgic taste for it. I get my kids the premade cups as treats too.
One of the things I started doing as culturaling fresh heavy cream to make Crème fraîche. Delicious!

Then it hit me to whip the Crème fraîche to make butter from the cultured creme. This is course not a pure "invention" on my part, as many cultures enjoy cultured butter, but it is not an item one regularly sees on supermarket shelves, and boy is it delicious.
Oooo I may have to try that!! I always make Crab-Deviled Eggs for Easter and my recipe calls for Creme Fraiche but I don’t need much so a lot goes to waste if I don’t come up with ways to use it.
What else was in it? What I've done was from my grandmother who came from Louisiana. It was used as a cheap meal, and if we couldn't get ham we would use salt pork. But that's all that's in it. It get's a little creamy but not so much that I would call it that. I don't make it often because I cook the beans all day, but when I do I make enough to freez a lot of it. And now that I'm thinking about it, I may have to make some in the near future.
View attachment 430170
I’m not really sure. I left that job in 2007 so it’s been a while. There had to be some kind of ham/bacon to it. It stayed green though so maybe not. I found one video of someone making it similar with rolling dough out. But the color seems off. I don’t remember much to it besides the dumpling squares, the beans and the creamy texture. We would add just a little water when we reheated it so it wasn’t so thick. I was so spoiled at that job. It was like having a bonus grandma at work. :lol:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Never heard of Jello salad, my guess is it’s American? I’ve never eaten nor looked for Jello, for that matter.
Yep, I googled it. it's fruit or veggies or sometimes both, set in jelly. I could manage the sweet ones, but savoury? :headshake:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard you could make chili without beans. I thought those were the main ingredient!

My mom always made it with macaroni growing up, which I guess is technically chili mac but we just called it chili. And I hated it because tomatoes. But I've had some good white chilis as an adult that I like.
I guess you don't live in Texas. Their chili does not have beans or tomato products. I don't know how they can call that chili.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chili is very much a regional thing. I don't care for what is called true Texas Chili, but it isn't what I grew up with. Barbecue is the same way. There is the mustardy, vinegar type barbecue from parts of the Carolinas. There is the mayo-based sauce for chicken from Alabama. I grew up in Kansas which has its own type of barbecue. To me Kansas barbecue is true barbecue because it is what I grew up with.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I googled it. it's fruit or veggies or sometimes both, set in jelly. I could manage the sweet ones, but savoury? :headshake:
When I think of a Jello salad, I think of Jello and Cool Whip dessert concoctions, not a mold. Like orange fluff.

The molds were very popular in the '60s, but I don't think I've ever seen one in real life. I guess Jello used to make a celery-flavored gelatin for the savory molds. No thanks!

I have never heard you could make chili without beans.
I know! But some people are really passionate about chili not having beans.