Which laundry detergent do you use?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We started using All Free & Clear when DD was a baby at our pediatrician’s advice because her skin was sensitive. No fabric softener for our kids either. I do use Downy Free on our things, towels and sheets.

We always used Tide before that and it worked well. I’ve been tempted to try Persil because DHs work clothes get soaked in sunscreen and don’t clean as well. Oxyclean helps a lot. It always got out the gross smellsfrom baby formula and stains too. I still use it on stains or the powder in loads with cat messes.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stick with Tide HE, unscented mostly, no fabric softeners. I worry about using pods - what are the pods made of? I don't want anything that will leave a residue, which is why no softeners. I only use half of the amount that you are supposed to use and everything gets clean. I was using another brand years ago and developed severe dermatitis. I looked like I had rolled in poison ivy. It took steroids and time to clear. The only time I didn't itch was when I was cold - it was in December.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not really found a detergent that I absolutely love. I do have a bottle of Persil that I have yet to try, so maybe that will finally be the one that works for me. So far I tend to get Tide HE liquid or pods, cold water or sport. Sometimes Arm and Hammer again cold water or with Oxy. Whatever is on sale. I just finished using up Sunlight pods, but Sunlight really makes me sneeze, which I would be fine with if it worked well. I honestly don't know why my clothes get so bad. The clothes themselves get clean but hubby and I wear antiperspirant and for the life of me I can't get the white crusty pit stains out...it just keeps building up over time. I'm getting real tired of having to pre-scrub all the armpits of all our shirts before washing. Same with white clothes...they all get the yellow staining pretty quickly. Anyone know what actually works for that (white crusty buildup and yellow stains)?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
We used Sun for a long time, and then my MIL gave us a container of Tide that broke my FIL out (didn't affect us negatively). I'm trying to focus on moving towards more environmentally friendly cleaners. The one that is most competitively priced that I have found is Biokleen. We use the regular Biokleen detergent for now, but I have a bottle of Biokleen coldwater detergent on its way. Apparently the enzymes used in cold water detergent work better in, well, lower water temps. I would like to get away from washing my sheets and towels/washcloths/hand towels etc. in hot water to save on our electric bill (we wash all other clothing items on cold). I'm going to experiment with it this month and see if we see a noticeable change in our power bill using cold vs. hot water.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not really found a detergent that I absolutely love. I do have a bottle of Persil that I have yet to try, so maybe that will finally be the one that works for me. So far I tend to get Tide HE liquid or pods, cold water or sport. Sometimes Arm and Hammer again cold water or with Oxy. Whatever is on sale. I just finished using up Sunlight pods, but Sunlight really makes me sneeze, which I would be fine with if it worked well. I honestly don't know why my clothes get so bad. The clothes themselves get clean but hubby and I wear antiperspirant and for the life of me I can't get the white crusty pit stains out...it just keeps building up over time. I'm getting real tired of having to pre-scrub all the armpits of all our shirts before washing. Same with white clothes...they all get the yellow staining pretty quickly. Anyone know what actually works for that (white crusty buildup and yellow stains)?
You could try plain white vinegar and letting it sit on the stains.

I was in the same boat. I was ruining all of my shirts with deodorant stains. What I found has worked best for me is a deodorant crystal stick. I combine it with a deodorant cream that I buy from a company called Little Seed Farm. Now, it is not an antiperspirant, so you do sweat, BUT I don't smell and I don't have to worry about the deodorant stains anymore.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get antiperspirant stains on my clothes :dunno: . I use Suave, formerly used Secret, and never did have stains. Do you use cold water? Maybe that doesn't dissolve the antiperspirant well enough. I always do a warm wash, cold rinse.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Arm and Hammer liquid scented. I have no idea what scent. Ocean Breeze or something. I think it has Oxy Clean in it too. In my work I'm around dirt, chemicals, grease, oil and in the summer I could be in a room that's as hot as 120 degrees and literally soaking wet with sweat. I mean to the point I've gone to lunch and people will ask me if I've been swimming. I get some tough stains and wear white shirts. The best thing I've found to get stains out is simply letting it soak in the washer for 24 hours. Occasionally I may spray a spot with Shout. I just fill up the washer with detergent let it fill up with water and agitate for a minute or so and cut it off. Come in the next evening and cut it on a finish it's cycle. My white shirts are virtually stain free and as white as they can be. I very rarely use bleach either.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uni Baby Sensitive. It's hypoallergenic and fragrance-free. Yumoş for softener, that's also fragrance-free. I wash everything about bed and curtains with them. Usually clothes too.

Uni Baby Sensitive Baby Liquid Laundry Detergent 1500 ml

Yumoş Sensitive - Hassas Ciltler ve Bebekler için Hipo AlerjenikYumoş

Sometimes I like a little fragrance though, usually in the summer when all my windows are open. Then I use Just Green but only for clothes.

Doğal Çamaşır Temizleyici – Natural Laundry Liquid – Just Green Organic

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The bottle of Uni Baby looks just like a baby detergent in the states called Dreft. I wonder if it's the same company?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Gain and pretty much stick with it and it's softner. The only reason is every time I send my grandson's washed clothyes back home, my daughter always calls up and asks what I use, "It smells SO good!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've never used pods before. I've never really understood how if you are washing just one item vs a load that you would use one pod that would be the same amount of detergent.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We started using All Free & Clear when DD was a baby at our pediatrician’s advice because her skin was sensitive.
I have been using All Free & Clear for many years and I'm very happy with it so don't plan to change anytime soon.

I've never used pods before. I've never really understood how if you are washing just one item vs a load that you would use one pod that would be the same amount of detergent.
I don't use pods either since our washing machine is older and I don't know if the pods would work properly.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose it is a bit much for one item, but most loads use about the same amount of water so it usually works out. You are supposed to use 2 or 3 pods for extra-large loads but I only do that for blankets and everything still comes out clean.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't use pods either since our washing machine is older and I don't know if the pods would work properly.
You just toss it directly into the machine. Not the detergent cup. The drum where all the clothes go into. Then add your clothes on top of the pod and turn the machine on. The pod will dissolve in the water. Pods will work even if the machine is an old top loading type with the internal agitator.