Where did you get your kitties?

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tailer-was at the local pound and about to be picked up by the county to be put to sleep. DH literally busted him out of the cage he was in and stole him.

Harvey-belonged to DH's ex-wife...when she divorced her second husband and left town with her third, she couldn't take him with her. My stepson loves Harvey dearly, so we took him in.

Forest-we adopted from our vet...he and his brother had been found in a dumpster in back of a local pet store. Because of their disability, the pet store didn't think they could find homes for them, so they were ready to put him to sleep. Instead of doing that, my vet kept them until she found their forever homes.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pekoe and Nigel are brothers from the Humane Society.

My mother adopted their other littermate, Charlie, who is a (skinnier) version of my Pekoe.

My childhood dog, Henry, is from the Humane Society also, and so is my childhood cat, Frances.

I love "assorted" shelter pets. They're the best.
I doubt I'll ever do it any other way.

kaskacats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got Missy three winters ago, it was during a cold snap, about 40 below. I didn't want to go outside to put my garbage in the can so I just put the bag outside my door. I heard something tearing it and went to look and it was a cat! So I put some food out for it and I don't think it was even a day later she moved in and made herself at home. Kagome is one of her daughters.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fred, my first cat, now gone to the Bridge, my SO rescued him from a tree at about 4 weeks old, and we had him for about 18 years.
Pearl was rescued from an abusive home by my daughter.
Pepper was in the middle of a busy intersection and had already been hit once. I was amazed that such a tiny kit survived with only minor injuries.
Scooter was going to be flushed down a toilet by the maintenence crew where I worked, so I took him away from them.
Fluffy was dropped off on Christmas Eve near my SO's job and found her way to him. She sat in the window and cried to be let in from the cold. He could not let her in to the tattoo shop due to sanitary regs, so he sat outside with her inside his jacket for several hours until I could come and get her. He is her person and she adores him.
Every cat I have ever had has been a rescue.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both of my furbabies, Reggae and Tiki are shelter kitties. I believe they are the first ones that I have gotten from the shelter. My previous one was a gift, probably from a pet store, and before that was my childhood kitty. Had her for 20 years. Don't know where she came from.

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lady: My BIL was a fireman and he found Lady & her sister Rosie (rainbow kitty) in an old tire in back of the firehouse.

Lucy: Got her from a friend at work who's mom's cat had a litter

Mimi: Humane Society

Cinder: From my nephews girlfriend who got her from my sister and couldn't keep her

Pinky, Sammy & Domino: From my sister whose cat had a litter

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i bottle-feeded this baby last year
i found her near my house, she was meowing like crazy and was only couple of days old. now she lives with a loving family in a biiiiiiig house

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No really interesting stories here:

Radar: from an online classified ad, someone's female cornish rex had a litter by their black & white tom

Sonic: from an Oriental breeder

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

No really interesting stories here:

Jaffa came from a local rescue and Mosi came from a Somali breeder.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bean - I got him on a buisness trip to Maryland. A man had found him and two siblings in terrible conditions. He knew nothing about cats and was just trying to find them a home. So I adopted Bean and took him back to CT with me. At the time he was only 4 or 5 weeks old.

Sammy - He was the son of a stray cat that came to our farm. After his litter we had his mom spayed and found homes for the other kitties. I was young at the time and had fallen in love with him so my mom let me keep him.

Mittens - He has the same story as Sammy, his mother also came to our farm as a stray, and had a litter of kittens right in our barn. We also had his mom spayed and found homes for all the other kittens. Nobody wanted him though because as a kitten he got poked in the eye with a piece of hay, so he's blind in one eye.

Tippy - She wandered into our yard as a kitten one summer. At first we thought she was rabid. She had her head tipped far to one side, and would stumble around, occassionally flipping over onto her back. We captured her, and brought her to the vet. They told us it was in fact not rabies, but rather that she was severely malnurished, and that was causing brain damage. They didn't know is she'd ever be normal In time though with proper care and nutrition she regained some of her balance. She still walks with a slight tilt to her head, and she didn't grow as big as she should have, but other than that she's a normal healthy kitty now.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the abys either came from a breeder or bred by me except for Tuah who's a rescue.

Granpa (E Burm) and Lou (Wegie) came from the same breeder, both were gifts.

Abu the Cornie is a rescue.

Dumdum the persian was a gift.

Tamtam was "rescued" from the wet market, pregnant then with Mocha and Milo.

A'long and A'Ngah are Milo's ooops babies (that's not happening again, she's spayed already!)

And lastly, Chomellow was dumped at my house.

That covers my motly crew!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Magnum - climbed through the window and never left
Boomer - a neighbours cat had kittens and he was the runt no one wanted so Matt took him because he had sad eyes
Bumper - hitch-hiked home in the bumper of the truck
Scully - he was going to be given to a shelter when his owners (friends of Matt's brother & SIL) couldn't keep him anymore, at 33lbs he was seen as unadoptable and would be PTS so we took him

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ling - last litter from our barn cats (before everyone was finally spayed/neutered)

Charlie - pedigree - breeder

In the past I've gotten my cats from SPCA/shelter rescue or breeders or kept a few I was breeding.

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Black and Katie were born underneath my house, whose mother ran off and left them.

Sassy came from a woman who had allergies that just had to get rid of her. So I took her!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Magnum - climbed through the window and never left
Boomer - a neighbours cat had kittens and he was the runt no one wanted so Matt took him because he had sad eyes
Bumper - hitch-hiked home in the bumper of the truck
Scully - he was going to be given to a shelter when his owners (friends of Matt's brother & SIL) couldn't keep him anymore, at 33lbs he was seen as unadoptable and would be PTS so we took him
Eithne do you have a picture Scully when he was that big? I would Love to see one

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Connor & Princess were born in Mom's friend's backyard. Their mother kept leaving the kitties for Barb to care ful while she went out tramping.

Lucky was lost and crying across the terrace. He immediately wanted to jump on me.

Buddy (RIP) was our neighbor's oldest kitty. When she passed, her BF kicked the cat outside and stopped feeding him. When he was evicted they set a trap outside. Mom found him two days later. We were afraid he would be PTS at the shelter in NJ that the parents of the neighbor was bringing all the kitties. He loved my Mom when she would visit & she felt bad so we kept him.

Molly was kicked out of her house for allegedly attacking their dog.
It was the other way around and she was 3 weeks from delivery her first litter. She walked up to where I worked (her house was behind our building). I saw that she was PG and called my Mom to take her home. She had one surviving kitten we will still have-Spunky.

Cello belonged to my cousin who was kicked out of his apartment. His mother is afraid of all animals so he asked us to taken him until he found Cello a new home. Of course Cello was too cute to pass up.

DH & I stopped at his friends house and found this Tuxedo kitty hugging a tree. When he jumped down these young boys were taunting him. He hurt the one kid and his friends egged him on to do something. We were in the car watching and I immediately jumped out to stop the kid. Benson followed us to our friends house and then into our car