Where did you get your cat(s)?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shep was a stray that wandered up to our house about 13 years ago. Dakota and Sage were born in a barn in the area and we adopted them thru a Humane Society. Spanky and Oscar were dumped on us last summer - we assume that someone in the area was doing a "barn cleaning" of their feral kittens.

All the rest were born to feral cats around our house. We caught the kittens young, adopted out those that we could find good homes for, and kept the unadopted or unadoptable ones. Yes, I have some scaredy cats living with me that we accept for who they are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Meeko and Esmeralda both came from a small rescue organisation, while Phineas and Henry both came from the Humane Society shelter.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dushka was on the streets in Tuzla, Persil in Sarajevo. Ellie was born to a barn cat whose owners I know. My cat Cinders who now lives with my Mom in the UK came from Battersea cats' home. Sheba was abandoned in a cardbox box in a phone kiosk and Sammy was her kitten. Rosie, Marmaduke and Pippin (all RB) were given to me. Oscar was a neighbour's cat who chose me instead. I have only ever once bought a cat from a pet shop, and that was Juniper who lived with me 17 years.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Felixia was abandoned as an adult cat and left stray by neighbors, Mr. Underfoot & Sylvestra were born to a stray cat under my porch, and Hubby got Oreo from a friend of a friend who found a litter of kittens. Tiger Lily was a neighborhood feral I trapped & spayed, who very slowly became somewhat tame (though she still won't come inside unless we leave the door open for her to go back out).

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Max- siamese - vets office

Trouble- grey tabby- pet smart

Simon- black persian- pet smart

Samson- white- rescue organization

Vanna- white turkish van look-a-like- rescue organization

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sammy mum is my friend Adam's cat, Mary Jane. I took Sammy, they kept one kitten and found the other two homes. Before he was able to get the money together (after Sammy's litter) for MJ to be fixed, she was pregnant again....so I took Lola (there were six kittens this time!). Well, technically my boyfriend wanted a kitten but couldn't have one at his house, so he gave her to me for my birthday. All the kittens were found homes, one with februa, who posts on this site. All the cats have now been fixed (well, Lola and her littermates will be when they're old enough), so that'll be the end of my cat collection for a while.

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mystique is a blue tabby DSH given to me by my daughter for Mothers day.

Rudy, Brie, Tatum, Drysi, Raider, Shelly, Kaley, Groucho, and Sean were purchased from various breeders.

Autumn, Starry, and Sandie are kittens that grew up here.

Mary Jane was left in my care from the same daughter as Mystique, and she has yet to reclaim her.

Mystique, Mary Jane and Sandie are all spayed

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Oliver from an aquaintance when he was 8 weeks old. I had the pick of the litter and had his sister in my lap. They said there was another kitten, but they couldn't find him. Right before I was ready to leave with his sister, Oliver came out from under the sofa and walked right up to me. It was love at first sight. BTW - the only reason he exists is his mother got outside ONCE.

Tripod was found at my job. We heard meowing in the shop for days. It took 3 grown men to catch a teeny starving 3 legged kitten. I had a very small apartment and no intention of getting another cat, but although Tripod was hissing and spitting, as soon as I touched him he started purring. My heart melted and I took him home.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Tripod was found at my job. We heard meowing in the shop for days. It took 3 grown men to catch a teeny starving 3 legged kitten. I had a very small apartment and no intention of getting another cat, but although Tripod was hissing and spitting, as soon as I touched him he started purring. My heart melted and I took him home.
Awwwwwwww

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rosie was from one of the very few pet stores that allow kittens to be sold.

Sophie was from my friends vets surgery after Sophies mum had been taken in with problems giving birth, then after Sophie and her siblings were born the owners asked Emma if they could find homes for not only the kittens but Sophies mum as well as they couldn't afford the bill

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peperpot and Sugarly were purchased together the week before we were married from a pet store. Excalibur was purchased from the same store over 2 years later. Merlin was purchased from a rescue organization. his mother had been a pregnant feral rescue and he had been born sick. He was still ill when I got him and required an additional month of medication and extra love and atttention. Gweeky was adopted from my vet's office. The take in the pregnant cats from the humane society and take care of their medical needs until the kittens are old enough to adopt out. Then they adopt them and give you a discount on the 1st shots and spaying and neutering.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Molly was the first, and came to us from a friend(She wasn't terribly happy about this, but she was 2 when she first moved here, and really, I could understand the pain of being totally uprooted like that..She's actually become quite a lover -and a little bit of a fighter, to my dismay, as she's also the biggest)

Paige was gotten to keep molly company from second chance (it didn't take, but they opted to stay out of eachother's way, rather than fight about it, lol.... which is good, because life would seem veeery ordinary without our fat and feisty tortie)

And Ghibli is our first and only bred kitty (I wanted a van, and now I have one, and he's a joy.. A messy joy, but a joy nonetheless...)

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitties from when I was growing up --- Mimi and Jake (both RB) were both strays.

My kitties now: Simon was a little stray that wandered into a friend's yard. She was already feeding three other outside kitties and asked me to take the kitten. He's now my special baby. He's indoor only and is just fat, lazy and wonderful.

My hubby picked Max at the humane society. He and Simon are best buddies. Max is a loverboy. He thinks he's a person. He wants to sleep in the bed with you, and wants to be in on everything!

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neko and Doku were unfortunately from pet stores. Onyx came from the spca. Princess came from a rescue group, Taylor came from someones cat whom had a litter, Mia and Scooter were dropped off at a vets office with some other siblings.

catboy16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my cat Gizmo from my grandma's friend who just had a litter of kittens and I got one and my grandma. It is weird though, My cat is short haired and my grandma's is very long haired. they are sisters.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ophelia is our feral rescue. We heard her crying and finally figured out that she was trapped in between the walls of our apartment building. So we busted a hole in the wall and after HOURS of waiting and coaxing she finally came through the hole. I loved her the first time I saw her little face, but the feeling was definitely not mutual! LOL She was scared to death!

Two days later, Earl thought that she had somehow gotten out because he couldn't find her anywhere. So we went to the mall to shop to ease our sorrow at losing this precious kitten (he had fallen for her too
). And eventually wandered into the pet store there that takes in unwanted litters of kittens (they only rarely have purebred cats, actually...). That's where we saw Trent and Trent decided that we were his family and he was going to come home with us. How could we say no? LOL Besides, we had already spent almost $100 on kitten supplies and we were really quite sure Ophelia was gone. So Trent came home.

Well, as soon as Trent came into the bedroom and meowed, out popped Ophelia who wasn't gone. She had just found a really, really good hiding spot. In fact, Earl had looked there at least 3 times and hadn't seen her!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's my stories....

Trixie...brown and black tabby

This is our first baby, Trixie. She is now 3. We adopted her from an ASPCA adoption foster home. Her mother had her and her litter siblings in someones garage and were brought to this foster home to find good homes. Jerry and I saw an ad in the newspaper in September of 2001, and went to look. We fell in love with the 6 week bundle of brown and black fur. We decided on her, brought her home, and the rest has been history. What a wonderful kitty she's been for us. She's very loved, not to mention spoiled.

Petals...black and white kitty

Our second to the youngest sweetie, Petals. She is now 2. Jerry rescued her from a ditch out in the middle of nowhere one day in August 2002. No one knows for sure how the 4 week, 15 oz kitty got out there. She was pretty sick, and Jerry brought her home to our little family. We, along with our vet, nursed her back to health, and she truly has been a joy in our lives. Trixie has learned to love her "little sister" and even took over the job of bathing her regularly. There were a few hisses at first, but after a few days of Petals being in a cage where Trixie could see and sniff her, they were best pals.

Tigger, yellow tabby

And last but not least is our baby, Tigger. He turned 1 this past summer. He was found almost the same way as Petals by my husband Jerry. He found him and his sister out in the woods. They were 4 months old at the time. He brought them home, and since we already had Trixie and Petals, we asked a girlfriend if she would like a kitten. She took Ebony, his sister, and we took Tiggy. He is the most loving little guy you ever want to meet. His "sisters" weren't too sure about him at first. After all, it was an all female house up until this point. But we put a large cage in the middle of the livingroom, and Tiggy stayed there for a couple of days. This gave them all a chance to get used to eachother and sniff thier hearts out. The girls growled and hissed at first, but it only took about a week, if that, till we were one big happy family. I don't know what I'd do without my little loves.