When will it end? Bugsy has a tumour

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no words to express how much you all have helped me... Reading each one of these posts gave the strength to get up today...
This morning I felt like I hit rock bottom... I got a disconnect notice from the electric company, and that hadn't happened to me for at least 13-14 years, when I had just moved here from Brasil, just a kid, with no money...
I re-read this thread again, and really pulled it together to ask for help, as there was nothing else to do besides that.
You guys are right - I need to get up, and take care of myself, so I can take care of the kitties...
So I put my pride aside, and I called my brother to rescue me... I can't call my dad, as he helps me too much already...
My brother came through for me... He immediately wired money for food and my late bills...
Oh God, here I am crying again... I am telling you, I am so emotional these days, I can't even think straight.
So now I have food in my house, and the internet to apply for my jobs, and the electricity or my phone will not be shot off anymore
I also picked up a box of Krispe Kreme to take to the vets office... They do a LOT for us, and I wanted to do something nice; I seriously don't know what would be of me and Bugsy without them

While there, I took advantage to discuss with the dentist Lucky's situation. Last time we were in, because she was not eating, the vet tech examined her mouth and noticed that she had a cross bite on the back teeth. Basically, her bottom tooth are going through her top gums, making a hole on each side on the top of her mouth. He though at the time it was not big deal, but to watch.
In watching her, I noticed that she is eating, but she is in pain when she eats - she paws her mouth, and opens it very wide after eating... She also eats squinting... When she was pawing her mouth before going to the dentist, I simply thought she was cleaning her face/mouth, but now putting all the pieces together, We came to the conclusion the Lucky stopped eating due to pain on the back of her mouth.
She is doing much better now, and is eating much more, not yet the full amount she should be eating, but pretty close.
So... Here we are again (yep, sounds like a joke, but nope, it isn't) - Lucky need a small surgery... No extractions, They said they will slice off the extra gum tissue, so that the teeth don't go through it. (I thought it was the other way around- filling the teeth down?) The cost: $230. The date: 3/30. The plan: I will try to get the money by selling something, doing a fund raising, but if I can not get the $$$, they will do it anyways - they said they will take care of her regardless
. I just don't think it is fair that they do that, and WANT to get there with some money... So, I will put some stuff on ebay, take it to the pound... whatever - I will put my thoughts together
. I am glad in a way it is her teeth... It could be something much more serious... God, It could been so many things, This at this point, even though is one more thing, I consider almost a blessing. I found out what is wrong with my girl, and it will be fixed... I am relieved about this one

Luckily Bugsy's surgery and whatever treatment he needs will be covered, as he has insurance, and it is not dental... He also has a credit in there that will be used towards the deductible.
Lucky's case and his stomatitis however, are not covered by insurance... So that is on "me".
They have given me so much in discounts for Bugsy... I am telling you... those people are true angels on earth. Nothing less than angels.
For now, for the next few days, she will be on pain killers - they put her on Torbugesic, to give it before her meal times. If she gets worst, then I will take her in before.
I also spoke to them about Bugsy's tumor. They said they see far more benign tumors than malignant, especially in young cats, which gave me a lot more hope... They also told me that the surgeon is excellent, he really does a great job, and even though they do have other doctors before, they wanted Bugsy with this one, as he is better
that's why he is scheduled only for the 22nd. The tumor will be sent for biopsy. They also said the recovery is great, he might need to wear an ecollar, but I am thinking more along the lines of a baby shirt instead - I think a member here did that successfully. I am trying to think positively about this, because when I asked about the alternative, I DID NOT like the answer: "Then we give him the most comfortable life for the time he has left". I did not want even to go into it... Like... What? So there is no treatment for cancer in cats? I did not want to elaborate... I don't want to think about that alternative... I don't want to think about losing him... I can't. I just can not visit that possibility, not even for a second...
With that in mind, I do have a request to make: Please, do not elaborate the cancer possibility and "if it is cancer" and the possibility of losing him... I am going through a very tough time right now, and I have a tendency to over think things... I get paranoid about things, and I really need to concentrate on being positive, because I am this close to snapping.
You might think I am weak, and that is ok... Just as long as you think silently... If it is the "C-word", then you will all know, and we will all cross that bridge together when we get there... because then I will definitely need your help and support.
So... I guess things continue to get interesting here...
Anyways..... This morning I woke up I thought all was lost...
Now I know that people will come to my rescue.... and even though I know I will wake up like this once again (unfortunately probably soon), I know It will not be the end...
I know I will have you guys to lean on and to help me to get up... I know I will look ahead and see a whole 18lbs of pure silliness chasing his tail as it was the greatest catch in the world; I know I will see Hope looking at me as though she was saying "mom, enough already, Dinner time!" and I know I will have Lucky to remind me who the real boss in the house is.
I know these things will keep me going

Thank you so much you guys

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

When will there be an update on Bugsy?
Hi there, Bugsy's surgery is on the 22nd.... I am not sure how long the biopsy takes though... If anybody who has been there wants to let me know... I forgot to ask...

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that you were able to get some money and a little piece of mind. MEGA
for you, Bugsy, Lucky, and Hope.

I know it is hard, but keep your head up, all is not lost yet. Every day try to think of the good things. You have 3 wonderful babies, a roof, a GREAT vet, food, a great brother
, and a huge family right here at TCS. We all love you and honestly hope that things start looking up for you very soon. Things will come through eventually, you are a strong person and you will get through this.

Take a long hot bath with some candles and relax, you need some time to unwind. Bugs-man is ok right now, he is eating, his mouth is doing better, he isn't going anywhere in the near future. Lucky is going to be taken care of, your vet sounds so amazing. Hope is on the mend, if I remember correctly. I really do understand, almost all I have is my fur babies and when the littlest thing happens with them I worry until I drive myself insane. Cody had marks on his toungue, and I just KNEW that it was the c-word (I don't like saying it either... ) since the most common type for cats is oral. After a while it went away, then it came back, went away, ect. I am pretty sure now that he is getting lint in his mouth (I have a fleece blanket that makes tons of lint) and it is getting stuck to the brissles in his tounge, and it looks like discoloration.

Anyway, I am saying that like me, you are really jumping the gun. I know it's hard not to, but try your best not to think about that aspect. I am so sorry that you have been going through SO much.

for Bugsy, Lucky, Hope (to stay healthy), YOU, and mega job vibes too.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

I am so glad that you were able to get some money and a little piece of mind. MEGA
for you, Bugsy, Lucky, and Hope.

I know it is hard, but keep your head up, all is not lost yet. Every day try to think of the good things. You have 3 wonderful babies, a roof, a GREAT vet, food, a great brother
, and a huge family right here at TCS. We all love you and honestly hope that things start looking up for you very soon. Things will come through eventually, you are a strong person and you will get through this.

Take a long hot bath with some candles and relax, you need some time to unwind. Bugs-man is ok right now, he is eating, his mouth is doing better, he isn't going anywhere in the near future. Lucky is going to be taken care of, your vet sounds so amazing. Hope is on the mend, if I remember correctly. I really do understand, almost all I have is my fur babies and when the littlest thing happens with them I worry until I drive myself insane. Cody had marks on his toungue, and I just KNEW that it was the c-word (I don't like saying it either... ) since the most common type for cats is oral. After a while it went away, then it came back, went away, ect. I am pretty sure now that he is getting lint in his mouth (I have a fleece blanket that makes tons of lint) and it is getting stuck to the brissles in his tounge, and it looks like discoloration.

Anyway, I am saying that like me, you are really jumping the gun. I know it's hard not to, but try your best not to think about that aspect. I am so sorry that you have been going through SO much.

for Bugsy, Lucky, Hope (to stay healthy), YOU, and mega job vibes too.
Thank you

Yes, Hope is ALL better, thank goodness there! She is 100% recovered. I am still giving her bene-bac every other day, just to be on the safe side, but I think she is ready to stop that now...

Lucky's problem, thank goodness, even though a problem, it is a minor problem. Let's face it - it could been SO MANY worst things! And she IS eating very close to what she should be eating... Her problem will be fixed. She does need surgery, but it will be fixed, and I know what it is.
My biggest worry is really Bugsy...
About jumping the gun... no... these are all very real problems. I WISH I was... I really do... This would mean Bugsy or Lucky wouldn't be scheduled for surgeries... And when SO MANY things fall into your head at the same time, you just start spinning really fast and crumbling down to find solutions for all the problems - because they ALL need solutions...
And yes, I do have the most amazingly kind vets in the whole wide World. Without them I don't know what I would do... I don't even like to think about that possibility. But I don't think I would be able to keep them... And that is a tremendous amount of pain to think of.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Continuing for precious Bugsy. Carolina, stay positive and take one day at a time. Keep on loving your little fuzzbutts, and try to be comfortable in knowing that you are doing everything for them that is humanly possible.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

Continuing for precious Bugsy. Carolina, stay positive and take one day at a time. Keep on loving your little fuzzbutts, and try to be comfortable in knowing that you are doing everything for them that is humanly possible.
Thank you

Today, thank to you all and my brother
, I feel that I can take one day at time.
Until this morning this seemed to be an impossible task... Tonight it will be the first night I think I will get a lighter night of sleep... Now that I have my bills out of my mind, I can concentrate on only loving and nurturing my babies.
A friend of mine just called a few minutes ago - it is not certain, but I might have a trade show to work in Chicago, in the end of the month... That will give me plenty to pay for Lucky's Surgery...
I will know later this upcoming week... I hope it works out, for different reasons... It would be nice to do a show in my industry, work some, and to top it off pay for her surgery.
It is always good to be around people in the industry too - networking is never enough when you want to get a job.
Things are looking up I guess... Even though this is not a concrete thing, it might be a very good thing!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck, hun. You might remember that I am also unemployed, and I had a very promising interview on Thursday that I am keeping my fingers crossed for, but trying not to get my hopes up too much about. I understand your job situation COMPLETELY, and it's very difficult to get a good night's sleep OR get out of bed in the morning with such worries.

I am SO glad your brother and your dad are there to help you. I have a large family, and I never have to worry about being homeless, but that doesn't necessarily ease all my worries about paying my bills. I had to move in with one of my brothers last year for about 4 months, and it was really hard on Holland because our room was in the basement and she wasn't allowed anywhere else because of my brother's allergies. We just have to do the best we can for them and ourselves.

that the trade show works out, and that Bugsy will have a successful surgery!!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

Good luck, hun. You might remember that I am also unemployed, and I had a very promising interview on Thursday that I am keeping my fingers crossed for, but trying not to get my hopes up too much about. I understand your job situation COMPLETELY, and it's very difficult to get a good night's sleep OR get out of bed in the morning with such worries.

I am SO glad your brother and your dad are there to help you. I have a large family, and I never have to worry about being homeless, but that doesn't necessarily ease all my worries about paying my bills. I had to move in with one of my brothers last year for about 4 months, and it was really hard on Holland because our room was in the basement and she wasn't allowed anywhere else because of my brother's allergies. We just have to do the best we can for them and ourselves.

that the trade show works out, and that Bugsy will have a successful surgery!!!
God, there are so many of us going through some rough times... for you too

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Carolina,

The vet said the odds are largely in Bugsy's favor, he's feeling well, and he's got an excellent surgeon. Those are three terrific facts to hang onto.

Your instincts are absolutely right, as usual: Thinking positively helps both of you, as you know. Cats know when we're stressed and they get upset, too. If you find yourself worrying too much, take a nap or play with your gang instead. (The last time I went through something like this, I reread all seven Harry Potter books. It was a good distraction; I too am unemployed. With way too much time available for freaking out....)

I do feel strongly that this is going to turn out fine.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that things are seeming more positive for you, and I love the sound of your vet.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just read this thread again and saw that Bugsy's surgery is on the 22nd. I know this will be a long week for you having to wait. We are all pulling for you and Bugsy. Stay focused and give them both lots of hugs this week.
I am still believing for benign tumor.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bunnelina

Carolina,

The vet said the odds are largely in Bugsy's favor, he's feeling well, and he's got an excellent surgeon. Those are three terrific facts to hang onto.

Your instincts are absolutely right, as usual: Thinking positively helps both of you, as you know. Cats know when we're stressed and they get upset, too. If you find yourself worrying too much, take a nap or play with your gang instead. (The last time I went through something like this, I reread all seven Harry Potter books. It was a good distraction; I too am unemployed. With way too much time available for freaking out....)

I do feel strongly that this is going to turn out fine.
This is a good advice!
Maybe I need to read Harry again!
LOVE Harry Potter! And yes, it does completely takes me out of reality!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still thinking of you and Bugsy (and Hope and Lucky too!)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your continued support you guys...
Lucky's surgery will have to be sooner than the expected... It was initially scheduled for the 30th, however I noticed that she is having difficulty eating even with the pain meds, and I simply can not put her through that for that long...
The dentist is there tomorrow, but completely booked, so the next availability is on the 23rd - one day after Bugsy's surgery next week.

I am not sure how I am going to get the $$$ for it, but I know I will... I have some stuff here I am going to gather and take it to the pound I tried craigs list and all I got was people trying to scam me. So In the pound I will get 1/3 of the value, but at least it is something... I don't care... All I care is that she will no longer be in pain.

They said the recovery time is 3-5 days; and that she will need to eat soft foods during those days, which also concerns me, since she does not eat ANY soft food. I tried soaking her food on warm water and giving it to her as a test, and she won't eat that either. I am also afraid of syringe feeding her while her mouth is so sore...
Has anybody here had experiences with a cat going oral surgery who only ate DRY food? Can you please share how you got around that, and how the kitty made it through recovery?

She will not have extractions, but the gum on the back of her mouth will be "filed/sanded" down and cauterized so that there is enough space to close her mouth without her teeth punching through it. Right now when she closes her mouth, her bottom teeth are punching holes on the top gum.

So... That is the story... Next week two surgeries back to back...

I can't wait until all of this is over! I just can't wait!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My experience with Holland having her teeth extracted and being put on wet food: Fancy Feast. I'm not proud of it, I'm sure it's not the best food, but she loves it, and I can (somewhat) afford it. Of course, she will only eat the grilled and flaked styles, will not have anything to do with the pate style.

I fed her dry food from the day I got her until her surgery, and I tried to feed her some of the SAME dry food soaked in warm water, she would have nothing to do with it.

Still sending SO many for you and the little ones to get through the surgeries OK!!!

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First off, I'm so happy that Lucky is eating on her own. Prayers that she continues to do so.

Secondly, I'm so sorry to hear about handsome Bugsy. I will be keeping him and you in my prayers. Trusting that it is just a benign tumor.

As far as finances go, does your vet have care credit? Last year I had to get it because one of my cats was diagnosed with diabetes and another one was diagnosed with CRF and needed intensive treatment. I will PM you the link to the website. I don't think we can post them here. Lots of
to you and your babies.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LovesMyCats

First off, I'm so happy that Lucky is eating on her own. Prayers that she continues to do so.

Secondly, I'm so sorry to hear about handsome Bugsy. I will be keeping him and you in my prayers. Trusting that it is just a benign tumor.

As far as finances go, does your vet have care credit? Last year I had to get it because one of my cats was diagnosed with diabetes and another one was diagnosed with CRF and needed intensive treatment. I will PM you the link to the website. I don't think we can post them here. Lots of
to you and your babies.
Sure I know about carecredit... But they lenders do not give credit to unemployed people with poor credit which is my case after so long unemployed juggling bills.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the operation - I have had cats eat dry food after a normal dental with no issues at all - I remember going out buying Ginger some nice soft food after his last dental, and he ate all Snowy's biscuits instead!! What might be worth a try is crushing the biscuits and putting them on top of wet food to see if she likes that.