When to leave safe room?

Chelecakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two brothers from a colony I feed. I thought I had caught them young and would be able to socialize and adopt out that has not been the case. Next week will be three months I have had them. I was able to get both fixed and vaccinated. I am keeping them since most likely will only accept me and my husband. My question is I want them to be part of my household. They have a safe room where I also work so I spend time with them but I opened door and put a baby gate to block going down stairs I left treats so they could walk out but now on day three they walk out and then come back and hide rest of day. Should I just put baby gate on their door first so can hear out or continue with treats at doorway? How do I know when they are ready?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I am keeping them since most likely will only accept me and my husband. My question is I want them to be part of my household. They have a safe room where I also work so I spend time with them but I opened door and put a baby gate to block going down stairs I left treats so they could walk out but now on day three they walk out and then come back and hide rest of day. Should I just put baby gate on their door first so can hear out or continue with treats at doorway? How do I know when they are ready?
Thank you for taking them in and giving them a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out their lives :clapcat:

Since it has been three months and they had kind of gotten used to you and your husband and the safe room where you work from, I guess it's ok to leave the door open for them if they wanted to take a walk and explore the house.

Most important thing is that your house must be cat proofed and there's no escape route. It is normal foe them to come out of the room and re-enter the room because it is their safe room and they know that they'll be safe inside.

Give them time to explore the house at their own pace. Always leave the safe room door open for them just in case they freak out whole exploring, they can safely run back to the safe room to hide. Cats have many favorite spots in the house and it keeps changing. They'll always have a safe place too hide while as for your cat, keep the safe room open for them.

You don't have to put a baby gate at the safe room door since you want them to come out, just as long as I mentioned earlier, keep your house cat proofed and no escape route. Also, keep poisonous plants away from their reach and any breakables just in case they jump up one counters or tables.

You can also leave towels or blankets in the room to soak up their scents and after awhile of soaking up their scents, take the towels or blankets that they've used and place them around the house so that there are familiar scents around.

When they are ready, they'll wander around the house with confidence. First, they'll be checking out the place with caution and once they know it's safe, they'll own the house.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chelecakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should mention they still don’t let us pickup and I can barely touch with out closed fist slap but this is improvement from hissing and attack

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I should mention they still don’t let us pickup and I can barely touch with out closed fist slap but this is improvement from hissing and attack
Certain things takes time for them to get adjusted and have to be done step by step. Just don't rush into it else things will not go as it is supposed to.

Spend more time playing with them and by playing will ease the stress on them and help them gain confidence in you. Speak to them lovingly with a soft sweet voice. If you want yo pet them, form a fist with your hand and let them smell your fist and slowly and softly brush your fist along the ie face towards the neck below the ear. The fist represents another cat's head and it does not look as intimidating as an open play which may pose a threat to them.
Sit on the floor each time when you interact with them as by sitting on the floor it makes you smaller rather than bending over them like a giant which is intimidating to them and also posed as a threat to them.

The more time you spend interacting with them the better and the sooner they overcome their fears.

Chelecakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Should I wait to open door then until able to socialize more or just continue with leaving open

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It can take years for cats to fully settle in. You get many new big steps along the way. I would keep the safe room as the main base for awhile.

Bring some things from the other parts of the house like a throw blanket, let them get their smell on it and then put it back where it belongs. Then, as they explore, they will know it's still their home.

I like to slowly expand on the amount of space they have to explore and use lots of cat calming music (especially with purring in it if you can find it). I use YouTube music but most major music services online has something for this.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should I wait to open door then until able to socialize more or just continue with leaving open
This is your preference. Just ensure things are kitten proof where you allow them to be and have all family members be cautious of potential escape attempts from the home.

You don't want to leave any small spaces where they can hide in and you can't get them out. This is any hole the size of their heads, as they can squish their bodies. You may need to use wooden planks under couches, etc.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Since they ventured out on day 3, I supposed you can leave the door open for them and keep the room as their safe room for them too retreat in if needed. You can lave t open and social them at the same time. Always call out their names sweetly to announce your arrival to that room and don't just budge in and give them a shock. Do this often and they'll recognize your footsteps.

Also no loud noise or sounds that will startle them. Keep them calm.

Once they are more socialized and getting use to the house and know that this is their home, they'll seek out other places to rest and sleep.

Scent is very important to cats. Once there's familiar scents, they'll be calm. You can have cat trees around the house at the windows and have their scents there by placing towels and blankets with their scents on it. The more familiar scents the merrier.

Be it whatever you do, just don't rush them. Let them explore and mingle at their own time. Love, patience and routines are the 3 very important things to do for your cat.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alldara and TabbyTom are spot-on in their advice! I would keep them in their safe room for a few more days and meanwhile bring in some scent-soakers from other areas in the home so you can do scent-swapping. Also, try to discourage hiding under things but offer perches instead; allowing them to get "up" to "safety" and observe from above helps channel their inner "mountain lion/panther" so they gain confidence. Thank you for rescuing them! :rock:

Chelecakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes thank you for asking! They are going into other rooms and running back and forth but don’t stay for log i’ve moved beds back and forth for smell but they still won’t stay in rooms but it’s progress

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes thank you for asking! They are going into other rooms and running back and forth but don’t stay for log i’ve moved beds back and forth for smell but they still won’t stay in rooms but it’s progress
0F54D0BB-7345-49C0-8F5D-E19D646202BA$L0$001~photo.GIF
That's great to hear!