When Did You Realize It Was Time To Put Your Cat Down?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
All of these things become very clear, we think, in hindsight. In the VCA article on the subject of bowel removal, they say that "most cats do reasonably well... with few permanent side effects." Some cats don't, and do have permanent side effects. You gave Rascal a long life and took wonderful care of her.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s never an easy choice. As I read this thread, I am sitting here crying because I am going thru something similar.

My cat Shadow turned 17 in may. She’s had asthma since she was a kitten. the past several months she has lost so much weight, she vomits a lot, started drinking a lot more than usual, sleeps like 20 hours a day and is soooooooo vocal when she is awake. A few years ago she was diagnosed with kidney disease and I imagine that is progressing. I have a vet appointment for her tomorrow and I’m scared to death

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat_Herder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s never an easy choice. As I read this thread, I am sitting here crying because I am going thru something similar.

My cat Shadow turned 17 in may. She’s had asthma since she was a kitten. the past several months she has lost so much weight, she vomits a lot, started drinking a lot more than usual, sleeps like 20 hours a day and is soooooooo vocal when she is awake. A few years ago she was diagnosed with kidney disease and I imagine that is progressing. I have a vet appointment for her tomorrow and I’m scared to death
Really sorry to hear that. I can tell you that I opted for putting Rascal down at home so she would feel as supported as possible.

The downside is that it was really traumatic to me, but the day after is much easier. Cat's eyes apparently don't close when they're sedated. I didn't know that yesterday, and it made me think she was concious the whole time, but she wasn't.

She also let out a long growling noise as she died, but in hindsight I know that was just a bodily reaction.

Watching your pet go from alive to dead before your eyes is hard, but like I said, the day after is easier. I'm already looking ahead to getting a new furry friend.

Whatever you decide, I wish you both the very best.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The signs that you are describing are very common when an animal is put to sleep. We interpret them as distress, but they are not. I am glad that you are considering sharing your home with a new member.