What's Your Occupation?

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a medical association staffer. My official title is "Governance Program Manager". Basically, I do whatever needs to be done to help our physician member leaders get their jobs done. I handle logistics and social events for the meetings of our board, I staff a couple of committees, and I manage all of the training programs for our committee chairs, members, and staff. I love it because it's never the same thing two days in a row...I might be planning a formal dinner event one day and writing a strategic plan the next.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing!
Although we are in the process of setting up an ebay seller's account for a storehouse full of old books, cookbooks, texts, and comics (mostly #1-#3 of any given series).

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Nothing!
Although we are in the process of setting up an ebay seller's account for a storehouse full of old books, cookbooks, texts, and comics (mostly #1-#3 of any given series).
Any tales from the crypt comics? If so, I think my bf may be your first customer.. he's been buying every one he can get his hands on! (My house is starting to look like a comic book store!
)

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Nothing!
That is what my parents did for a while as a side business...they made pretty good money...and probably the comic books they sold made the most since they had sooo many

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well said!

Originally Posted by emrldsky

Both my brothers and their wives work in a factory and they make decent money, keep food on the table, clothes on their backs, and the kids are rarely without. It's honorable work and there is NOTHING wrong with that. Have some pride in what you do.

My dad works in a steel mill. He's not quite 50 yet, but he's put in 30 years there. I've never been anything but proud of him and my brothers.

Something my brother always told me..."You know, this country wouldn't be nearly as far along as it is if it weren't for blue collar workers. Think about it...yeah sure, those that went to college MIGHT come up with the cool products and make more money, but who do you think does all the hard work to make things? That's right, the blue collar worker. Who do you think is out there in the hot sun, building houses and buildings? Yep, blue collar workers. Sure, computers are nice and all, but you don't need electricity to use a hammer. Think about it, sis."

He's a smart one, that oldest brother of mine.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok My official "Title" is General Clerk 4. What I do is another story!!

Let's see I do the accounting for my office and 1/2 my customers since they haven't a clue what they are doing. I also process walk in orders and tell people with the wrong paperwork to get lost!

My job is ok but I would really love to be teaching. But I will have to get back into school so I have to save money 1st!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alaynna

That is what my parents did for a while as a side business...they made pretty good money...and probably the comic books they sold made the most since they had sooo many
It's been so terribly long since my stepdad and I purchased any of the comics that I couldn't tell you.
All of them will have to be shipped to me...just as soon as I can find a climate controlled storage rental.

LOL well, I quoted the wrong post.....senior moment?

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a writer for a weekly Catholic newspaper and I do PR for a womens religious community.

motherofeight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Preschool teacher right now, hoping to get my teaching certificate very soon so I can teach kindergarten.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Living the dream...
Satai - you wrote this in response to the fact that I'm a University lecturer and you would like to become one. I love my job
If it's your dream....go for it

I've seen a number of people here who have said they would like to go back to University/School. If you would like to, I would urge you to pursue your dream.

I went to University after working ordinary jobs for 6 years, just general clerical stuff. I returned to studying as a full time Mom of two children, married and managing a home. Hubby was also studying for his degree at the time as well as working a full time job. It can be done and it is the most rewarding experience.

Now, I get to do the job I want, I have options and the tremendous, mind-broadening experience of going to University
. Not everybody wants to do it, but for those who do - definitely give it a go.