What's Your Occupation?

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been in the mortgage/title industry for... well, forever. Some days I feel like I came out of the womb going "there's a judgment on this property that needs to be satisfied before closing!"

I'm a title searcher, mostly for refinances and home equity loans. It's a good gig, nice money and I get to work from home. Some days it can be a lot of fun because you feel like you're playing private detective. Other days it's kind of monotonous. And yet other days you hit a property that's acreages on government lots or spanish land grants and you just want to rip your hair out

On the side, and for a bit of relaxation, I make a lot of jewelry and handbags. It really doesn't make me much money yet, but maybe someday. I'm much more the artsy type than the office type.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jazmynn

Everyone has such cool jobs. Makes me sad I'm a factory worker. But I just can't afford to go to school right now lol~!
Hey, there's nothing wrong with being a factory worker!

But don't let not being able to go to school stop you. I didn't. I started in title knowing *absolutely nothing* about title or mortgages. I took an entry level job doing data entry. I found the key was to pay attention to what's going on around you. Like my job was typing in the recording information for a mortgage (which I had to learn on the job) and while I had the mortgages in my hand, I read them. Then I'd listen in on conversations my boss would have with others in the office explaining documents to them. Within three months, people who were there for two or three years were asking me questions! All I did was pay attention to the goings on in my office and that's all it took for me to work my way up the ladder, end up starting my own company and got written up in one of the industry mags.

I say this not to gloat or boost my own ego (I promise
) Just to say that you CAN do it without a degree. I was brought up to believe that you couldn't succeed *at all* without a degree (heck, my mom's a teacher!) and she hounded me to go to school for years. I just knew college wasn't for me. It bored me to no end. Then finally, about a year or so ago, she actually said "You know, I always thought it was impossible to succeed without a degree. After everything you've accomplished in the last few years, you've proven me wrong." Wow I was surprised! And now, I make more money than some of her friends who have been in their careers 30+ years.

IMO, you can learn more from actually getting out there and doing it than you ever could in college. I've seen it time and time again. Case in point: two of my friends who are both programmers. One is self taught and never went to college a day in his life.. the other went to college and got a degree. The one with the degree has a nice job making decent money. The one who is self taught has an even better job making three times the money as the one who went to school.

So don't let lack of college hold you back. Unless you want to be a doctor or lawyer, you really don't need a college education to move forward. All you need is YOU.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am an electrical & instrumentation drafter/designer for an engineering firm. Most of our work is on offshore production platforms, but we do some plant work as well. I also do some minor piping work (P&IDs).

cyber cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm a Graphic Designer for the local newpaper here in Orangeville (The Orangeville Banner), I do the layout and Design of the Real Estate section.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Certified Master Groomer- cats and dogs.
I started in 1973, taught grooming for a while, did competition grooming for a while (held National titles in Terriers and in Non-Sporting), worked for a handler for a while, and am now doing basicaly part time grooming to get me out of the house a couple of days a week.

Was a big time dog person involved with Irish Wolfhounds until a particularly heartbreaking loss took the wind out of my sails. I'm taking a break from dogs and got three cats to fill the void (and hopefully live a lot longer), and love them more than candy.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a stay at home cat mother, I was a nanny but quit when my Bella got sick, I am fortunate enough to be able to stay home and take care of her. (Bella has lung cancer and just had her leg amputated from cancer)

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

My husband calls me the pointy-haired boss (Dilbert fame). I am a manager of computer architects for a telecom company. Even though most people have dread for "managers", I think I'm a pretty good boss - as long as my folks get their work done, they can work as flexible hours as they need, work from home, leave early if they are having a bad day, etc. And actually, I don't so much manage the people as keep them out of trouble. Since I'm so good at letting my folks do what they need to do their job, I only have to catch them if they do something stupid and are about to be drawn and quartered.
Amy,
I want to work for you. I'm currently working for the wicked witch of the east and everyone hates her. She doesnt' believe in a flex time or virtual office. Which is stupid because our company develops products for these environments. I help develop the application for the sales people to place their orders.

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I am a full-time student. I am in a four year RN program, will graduate next May! I am working in the OR at the local hospital right now, and may decide to continue on and become a Nurse Practitioner....we'll see!

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a Registered & Certified Veterinary Technician in which most people don't realize I had to go to school for. I had to go for just over 2 years and received my AAS degree. Then, I passed a National Exam in order to become certified.

I have been in the field for 8 years and I currently work in a feline only veterinary hospital that opened Jan. 2005 and I absolutely love it (except it doesn't pay well at all).

It's very interesting to hear what everyone does for a living.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jazmynn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is really cool to hear what everyone does for a living! I didn't think this thread would become so responsive lol!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IT network support.
and business owener. I also have 2 coffee shops & interent cafe overseas.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I'm a student... and I'm never leaving the Ivory Tower, ever.

I finished a degree in English major and Ancient, Medieval and Renaissance Studies minor but am not graduating, and now I'm going to a different school and getting a double major in Linguistics and English, plus maybe a Spanish minor or something.

And then I'm going to a PhD program.

And then I'm going to be a professor.

The only other jobs I like are all minimum wage, manual labor sorts of things.
This is me, my goal too.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jazmynn

Everyone has such cool jobs. Makes me sad I'm a factory worker. But I just can't afford to go to school right now lol~!
Please don't let it make you sad. I did factory work to help get through my BA, and college is cheap (tutition is free) in Ireland.

What is it that you want to study? Just remember that the work you do now will help you get there.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

My husband calls me the pointy-haired boss (Dilbert fame). I am a manager of computer architects for a telecom company. Even though most people have dread for "managers", I think I'm a pretty good boss - as long as my folks get their work done, they can work as flexible hours as they need, work from home, leave early if they are having a bad day, etc. And actually, I don't so much manage the people as keep them out of trouble. Since I'm so good at letting my folks do what they need to do their job, I only have to catch them if they do something stupid and are about to be drawn and quartered.
Hey, you should write a managemeent technique book!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Ooh... nice thesis! It would be interesting to read.
Thank you, I'm very pleased with it.

Originally Posted by Godiva

I have a bachelor's in comparitive religious studies and philosophy, and I am in my fifth (of six years) of pharmacy school.
Hubby is wonderful, and he works 1.5 jobs so I can focus on school. He got a bachelor's in journalism and another one in biology, he's a science writer and he helps puts the local newspaper online, but he's about to lose that job (an internship he's kept for six years!) and go work at Kinkos.

I am thinking about ditching pharmacy and going into an accelerated nursing program near me because I think I'd be a lot happier and fulfilled in the long run. If I did that, I would want to find a way to be a veterinary nurse (not just a technician, some of the big vets around here employ BSNs too). The only problem is that they don't like it when your transfer credits and undergrad degree are from another university, so my GPA will have to be really high to get in... I am taking a summer class and talking to some of the faculty and admissions counselors to see if I should stay with it or go ahead and finish pharmacy school... decisions, decisions.

I have pharmacy technician skills, both retail, hospital, and long term care thanks to some student jobs I had in the past. I worked in a cafeteria in high school, and at a coffee cart my first year of college.
Wow, it does sound like you have a lot of decisions to make at the moment! I wish you well, both in choosing and in achieving your goals.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I am a stay at home cat mother, I was a nanny but quit when my Bella got sick, I am fortunate enough to be able to stay home and take care of her. (Bella has lung cancer and just had her leg amputated from cancer)
Poor Bella - though if all cats were as lucky as her, at least we would be certain that they all lived lives full of love.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now I'm about to go back and finish my English degree. Then I'm going to head to college for Veterinary Technician.

In the meantime I work retail essentially. I work at a natural pet care shop. We have a big focus on natural nutrition, and really do a lot of councelling with many of our customers. I love it!