what's your favorite cat litter?

glamourkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And Kitten Attract really attracts kittens.  The youngest, Bella (7 weeks), will roll around in it and play.  
  She's the only little crazy one who does that.  The others, who are like six or seven months now, started using that at 7 weeks also.  They've always just done their business and left the box.  That's probably the one "con" of the Kitten Attract (besides the price) is that it's so fine your kitty may think it's a playground instead!

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, here's a thing I'm going to try this weekend.  I have a shower in my basement (next to where a litter box is currently) and I'm going to put a litter box in it.  The difference is, the litter will be non-absorbent and the bottom of the litter pan will have holes in it.  Sort of like this, but over a drain instead of with another tray underneath.   Poops will be scooped out daily and pee will drain away immediately.  Gravel will be rinsed whenever.  In theory, this will save money over time because the litter is reusable.  Also, will be more environmentally friendly.  

We'll see how it goes.  I'm getting some aquarium gravel off freecycle and I'll mix it with some crystal cat litter that they're already using.  I'll rinse the litter periodically and the crystals will dissolve eventually, leaving just the gravel.  

According to my internet research, there are other non-absorbent substrates which can also be used.  For instance, dried lentils.  Possible rice or wheat, as well?  Those are semi-absorbent and might prevent odours and be more disposable.  Not sure.  We'll see how it goes.  Maybe I'll set up two or three litter boxes in there and conduct a few experiments.  I imagine some grains will be lost in the poo-scooping.  Unless you want to pick bits out of poops.  My plan is to wait til the poop is try and just shake it in the scoop and throw out whatever doesn't fall off.  Because... I don't really see myself picking tiny rocks off poops every day, lol.  We'll see how much is lost and if it's too much, I'll definitely want to switch to something semi-disposable like lentils as opposed to gravel.  

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, there's an idea---I have a spare bathroom, too; maybe I'll try it. I've heard of safflower seeds being used as non-absorbent litter. . .and when you throw them away in the yard the birds will be happy :lol3:.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, there's an idea---I have a spare bathroom, too; maybe I'll try it. I've heard of safflower seeds being used as non-absorbent litter. . .and when you throw them away in the yard the birds will be happy
that iss dissgusting birds eatings cat pee

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Naw, birds don't eat the shells :D. Plus you could rinse them first.
The urine would totally soak through into the seeds though. But.. birds Can smell and I imagine after one seed, that would be enough to teach them.

But back to the thread, I am Very intrigued about this gravel/litter box with holes idea.. I am also trying to stay away from clay since it is not environmentally sound. Right now I use corn litter.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Walmart's special kitty, just because it's cheap and I need so much. I buy and love Tidy Cat when it is on sale. My cats have never minded a change to any brand so I guess I'm lucky.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Walmart's special kitty, just because it's cheap and I need so much. I buy and love Tidy Cat when it is on sale. My cats have never minded a change to any brand so I guess I'm lucky.
same here my cats dont mine a litter brand change i'm constintly changing it lol

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't mind any change it seems like she got used to her litterbox quickly even though it smells like another cat (probably not anymore) but she doesn't mind change in food all of the sudden or anything.

crazycatmom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love Special Kitty. I have 2 litter boxes one with Special Kitty the other with Tidy Cats and my cats prefer to use the one with Special Kitty. Another thing is its not expensive and  you get a good amount.

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With 8 cats...I went through 10 different brands of litter. We finally settled on Scoop Away. The kids really seem to like it and it covers odor really well. It might be a little more expensive than others but it lasts a good bit. I recently tried to switch to a cheaper litter and it didn't work. It didn't clump well like the Scoop Away and we could smell odor more. Chloe is really picky so she decided to rebel by peeing on the floor by the litter box...went out the same day and switched back. Gotta love kitties! 

amigahal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had Kiki using the Tidy Cats Breeze system for about six months now. She gets a little finicky when the pad goes for more than 5 days, it helps if you turn the tray around every day. Cleaning is easy, just scoop out the feces, I use plastic grocery bags dispose of them, and replace the pad every 5 to 7 days (located underneath the litter pan) which has slots to allow the urine to drain down onto the pad in the tray below. Change the litter pellets every month or so (I change every 60 days). Dump the litter pellets into a plastic bag...the trash can in the garage works real well, make sure no pellets are jammed in the slots. I spray with distilled vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to sanitize and wipe with paper towels to dry.

It's a little more expensive than clay litter but much cleaner. Less dust and less tracking. No urine balls. One bag of litter pellets weight about 7 lbs (not the 20lbs clay litter can). A pack of four pads last about a month (I always buy extra just in case).

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For my 1 cat I've been using Tidy Cats Instant Action and I have no problems with it except it doesn't really clump well when a cat has diareah XD, but for urine it clumps really well.

bombay momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really like the absorbent crystals. No dust, really easy to keep inside the litter box, it clumps around the solids and just absorbs the liquids. As long as you scoop every day/two days and keep the litter well mixed it works fantastic. Never have any problems at all with smell with my two cats, and the price for our brand is about the same as the arm and hammer brands. 

We've tried pine, and my oldest refused to use it. The younger one would knock the pieces out of the box and play with them. No good!  

They also don't like sand, or smaller granules litter. Picky picky girls. 

cindi406

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I am reading through the posts, it is interesting to see the variety of opinions and the options. 

I am so highly allergic to cat litters (could be hospitalized) that I only have a couple I can use. I have used natural pine pellets but, my son was highly allergic to the pine. I have used natural pine loose litter after he moved out for college.

My favorite for my limited choices is Yesterday's News pellets. The only think with pellets is that I constantly am scooping and eliminating poo. It is great for urine, though. I add a little bit if diatomaceous earth to the bottom of the pans and add a little bit of baking soda. However, I have heard baking soda is now found not to be as odor absorbent as though for years. 

My house never smells like animal per my friends and family even though I have a lot of cats but, if someone decides to poo, it smells for the moment. I quickly scoop and light an candle besides having odor absorbers in the cat litter room. I fully change their litter and clean their boxes about every two days even with scooping all the time. They never go outside their boxes and for that I am lucky due to multiple cats.

Would love to use one of the mechanized cat litter systems that rids the poo for me but, have to use pellets.

Would be interested if there is a better natural litter and a better way. It is definitely not the best but, is totally workable.

cindi406

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been looking for the perfect cat litter for the last 6 months. I live in a trailer with 3 cats, 4 litter boxes, and 3 small dogs.....odor is a big issue.  Here are my findings:

Pellets:  Tried the Breeze, which seemed a great concept, but all 3 cats hated the pellets and acted like I was trying to kill them.  Dogs, however, wanted to eat them.

Clay:  Roommate has COPD, so dust is a problem.  Best of all I tried were Dr., Elsey's and Natures Miracle, but both still had enough dust to bother her.  The other issues with clay were weight, and nonbiodegradable, which was a problem when it was time to do the full cleanup of the litter box.  

Walnut I wanted to like this, but the cats tracked it everywhere, and it didn't clump so well.

Paper: I tried the Nature's Miracle, but accidentally picked up the nonclumping variety, so ended up just dumping it.  All the other ones I have seen were pelletized, which I already know the cats hate.

Corn:  I'm currently using either Arm and Hammer Corn, or Worlds Best.  I actually think the A&M has lower dust and clumps better.  Light to carry, biodegradable (I can dump the box under the trees in the yard and it just "goes away"....also makes me feel much better in terms of environmental impact.   Clumps well and odor is almost nonexistent.

I transitioned the cats to a raw diet almost 3 months ago....so that also has a huge effect on the litter box and odor is not much of a problem now.  So far...I'm in the corn litter corner.  Next step.....I'm going to try toilet training.  I know the Siamese boy will get it, and probably the Persian.....the Himmie boy......not so sure.
I am going to try the corn...thanks!

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My favorite for my limited choices is Yesterday's News pellets. The only think with pellets is that I constantly am scooping and eliminating poo. It is great for urine, though. I add a little bit if diatomaceous earth to the bottom of the pans and add a little bit of baking soda. 
What's the purpose of the DE?  

Last edited:

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Now, what follows, is, just my
, I use, Walmart brand Special Kitty, unscented clay cat litter. However, I can't use, clumping litter. Due to my hybrid cats.
Just cu4rious....why is the clumping litter a poblem for hybrid cats????  What kind of hybrid??

cindi406

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is supposed to boost absorbency and help with odor. I use it with the pellets since I am allergic to regular litters. It is already in some litters. I use it for other things, as well. My cats have not had fleas when they go to the vet because I bathe them once a week in Dawn and rinse them in water with a little bit of Avon SSS (not much) with just a touch of alcohol. I dry them well after their bath. In the middle of the week, I use DE in their fur and on their bedding. I have done this for years and since they were kittens. So, DE is good for more than one use and it is natural.