what's your favorite cat litter?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Hey what is the best one to use to cover the scent of a cat in the litterbox that ain't expencive cause I'm tired of the smell when I clean and I'm afraid that when I get my own place the landlord would have that as a condicion
You want something that neutralizes the odor, not covers it up. I stay away from all scented litters, partly because I have respiratory issues with any perfume myself and don't want to subject my kitties to that. The best clumping clay litter I've found is Special Kitty Multiple Cat (Walmart brand). It can be a little dusty, but not as much as other litters I've tried, and has excellent odor control. Recently I've switched to the Blue Buffalo litter that's made from walnut shells. No dust and the odor control is even better than Special Kitty. It's more expensive but lasts quite a bit longer so I think it evens out in the end.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually buy Arm & Hammer but if I'm in a hurry and send my son in to get it he would come out with the cheap stuff which works just as good then I would add baking soda too.

dejolane

Last edited:

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could get 10 replies with 10 different answers.
The one that works best for me and my cats is the Walmart brand Special Kitty. It's a coarse sandy texture which the kitties really like. I use the multiple cats clumping litter that is labeled "odor eliminating". It also says it has a fresh scent, but I don't notice any perfumed scent to it. It is low dust and doesn't scatter as much as some litters I've used.
Oh man, I'm surprised to read this.  I just bought some of this because I was out of litter and needed it in a pinch, and I find it really stinky.  I find that it's crumbly and smells up the whole room.  

I've had good luck with the Costco brand.  It's a good deal, too.  

I'd like to find a more environmentally friendly clumping litter.  Most of the litter boxes use pine pellets, but I haven't made enough of those to have enough litter boxes yet.  

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love World's Best cat litter. It has zero dust, no perfume and clumps hard. I've heard some people say they don't like the corny smell but I definately prefer that over a perfumy smell. I'm sure the cats do too. It is a little pricey but the price evens out with the cheaper brands because I don't have to dump it all out as often.

ladylioness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really like Scoopaway. My do cats are doing well on it overall, but unfortunately one of my kitties was diagnosed with interstistal cystitis (sp?) and Dr. recommends I switch to a perfume free litter and open top boxes (among other lifestyle changes). Since I use Yesterdays News for my Guinea Pig's litter boxes, I was going to try to use that and see how it works, in the mean time, and do an open top box along side with the Scoopaway and see if that helps a little. 

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Sassy on pine litter, but Matt won't use it.....he prefers clumping, but I haven't found one I like yet............................what litters do YOU like?
I recently switched to rural king clumping cat litter it works great 40lbs for 9.99 at my store :p and it fills up 3 small boxes and 2 big boxes of cat boxes :p

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i watched a tv show on animal planet called ''must love cats'' they tested a few cat litter types(not brands)...to see how absorbant it was..and what clumped the best..think they tryed a corn based,a wood based and a clay based...they did two tests on each..its clumping and ability to stay clumped if a cat trods on it.

clay based came out on top in both tests....

i'm in britain and i use catsan...its ok..not too dusty...but still think i need one that clumps liquid better...i find most cat litters are fine with solid matter...just not liquid so far..

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I would use any one of them that is good and works well. As long as Bella & Thunder are happy, I'm happy    

dejolane

Last edited:

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went out and got from swheat scoop to replace the Wal-Mart brand and I can't comment on the odour yet, but Zapp loves it.  Holy crap.  He went into the box and just dug around for five minutes.  

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figure it this way,whatever works get it and stay with it. Cheap or not I guess.

dejolane

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You could get 10 replies with 10 different answers. :rolleyes: The one that works best for me and my cats is the Walmart brand Special Kitty. It's a coarse sandy texture which the kitties really like. I use the multiple cats clumping litter that is labeled "odor eliminating". It also says it has a fresh scent, but I don't notice any perfumed scent to it. It is low dust and doesn't scatter as much as some litters I've used.
Oh man, I'm surprised to read this.  I just bought some of this because I was out of litter and needed it in a pinch, and I find it really stinky.  I find that it's crumbly and smells up the whole room.  

I've had good luck with the Costco brand.  It's a good deal, too.  

I'd like to find a more environmentally friendly clumping litter.  Most of the litter boxes use pine pellets, but I haven't made enough of those to have enough litter boxes yet.  
I think they may have changed their formula a few months ago. I know they change their packaging, and for a while the Walmart I go to didn't even carry it. When they finally got it in stock again I bought some and really don't like it as well as I used to. I've switched over to Blue Buffalo litter that is a walnut shell base. It doesn't clump as hard as clay litter, but if you follow the instructions and wait 15 minutes before scooping it does pretty well. Odor control is excellent. Their regular litter is ground very fine and can be a little dusty. The multicat litter is coarser, has practically no dust and very little tracking. The cats prefer the finer grain and I prefer less tracking, so I've been mixing the two.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been looking for the perfect cat litter for the last 6 months. I live in a trailer with 3 cats, 4 litter boxes, and 3 small dogs.....odor is a big issue.  Here are my findings:

Pellets:  Tried the Breeze, which seemed a great concept, but all 3 cats hated the pellets and acted like I was trying to kill them.  Dogs, however, wanted to eat them.

Clay:  Roommate has COPD, so dust is a problem.  Best of all I tried were Dr., Elsey's and Natures Miracle, but both still had enough dust to bother her.  The other issues with clay were weight, and nonbiodegradable, which was a problem when it was time to do the full cleanup of the litter box.  

Walnut I wanted to like this, but the cats tracked it everywhere, and it didn't clump so well.

Paper: I tried the Nature's Miracle, but accidentally picked up the nonclumping variety, so ended up just dumping it.  All the other ones I have seen were pelletized, which I already know the cats hate.

Corn:  I'm currently using either Arm and Hammer Corn, or Worlds Best.  I actually think the A&M has lower dust and clumps better.  Light to carry, biodegradable (I can dump the box under the trees in the yard and it just "goes away"....also makes me feel much better in terms of environmental impact.   Clumps well and odor is almost nonexistent.

I transitioned the cats to a raw diet almost 3 months ago....so that also has a huge effect on the litter box and odor is not much of a problem now.  So far...I'm in the corn litter corner.  Next step.....I'm going to try toilet training.  I know the Siamese boy will get it, and probably the Persian.....the Himmie boy......not so sure.

nursingcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I currently have 10 cats and have tried everything. I swear by worlds best cat litter-it's a little pricey, but worth the cost. I find it clumps well, is odorless, absorbs well and lasts 2-4 weeks (with daily scooping). It also doesn't impact the environment or landfills the way clay litter does.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been looking for the perfect cat litter for the last 6 months. I live in a trailer with 3 cats, 4 litter boxes, and 3 small dogs.....odor is a big issue.  Here are my findings:

Pellets:  Tried the Breeze, which seemed a great concept, but all 3 cats hated the pellets and acted like I was trying to kill them.  Dogs, however, wanted to eat them.

Clay:  Roommate has COPD, so dust is a problem.  Best of all I tried were Dr., Elsey's and Natures Miracle, but both still had enough dust to bother her.  The other issues with clay were weight, and nonbiodegradable, which was a problem when it was time to do the full cleanup of the litter box.  

Walnut I wanted to like this, but the cats tracked it everywhere, and it didn't clump so well.

Paper: I tried the Nature's Miracle, but accidentally picked up the nonclumping variety, so ended up just dumping it.  All the other ones I have seen were pelletized, which I already know the cats hate.

Corn:  I'm currently using either Arm and Hammer Corn, or Worlds Best.  I actually think the A&M has lower dust and clumps better.  Light to carry, biodegradable (I can dump the box under the trees in the yard and it just "goes away"....also makes me feel much better in terms of environmental impact.   Clumps well and odor is almost nonexistent.

I transitioned the cats to a raw diet almost 3 months ago....so that also has a huge effect on the litter box and odor is not much of a problem now.  So far...I'm in the corn litter corner.  Next step.....I'm going to try toilet training.  I know the Siamese boy will get it, and probably the Persian.....the Himmie boy......not so sure.
have you ever tried clumping cat litter? i find it keeps the oder down and i don't really notice any dust

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of the litters I have tried (except the one mistake where I picked up the wrong bag) have been clumping.  I'm pretty much not going to try any more clay litters because of them not being biodegradable.  I also have back issues (I'm old...lol), so carrying the big bags of heavy clay litter is difficult.  I would agree that the clay litters probably clump a bit "tighter" than the biodegradable types.  

I did notice that Tidy Cat has a new litter out that has corn/wheat/pine.  My only fear is not wanting the house to smell like a pine tree, and my roommate has problems with strong smells because of the COPD.  Has anyone tried it???

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
have you ever tried clumping cat litter? i find it keeps the oder down and i don't really notice any dust
I didn't notice a lot of dust with the Dr. Elseys....but my roommate, who cares for 2 of the 4 boxes had problems when she had to pour more litter into the box.  She doesn't have the problem with the corn litters.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't notice a lot of dust with the Dr. Elseys....but my roommate, who cares for 2 of the 4 boxes had problems when she had to pour more litter into the box.  She doesn't have the problem with the corn litters.
hmm well some people are more sensitive then others

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went out and got from swheat scoop to replace the Wal-Mart brand and I can't comment on the odour yet, but Zapp loves it.  Holy crap.  He went into the box and just dug around for five minutes.  
When I clean the box Thunder rolls around in it. Crazy cat.

dejolane

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I clean the box Thunder rolls around in it. Crazy cat.

dejolane
Bumble Angel  Mewlittle and Brandon will try to sleep in it after i replace the litter or scoop it clean there crazy i have to pick them up and move them a foot away from the box and i say to them ITS NOT AA BED ITS YOR TOILET lol only time i take them out of the box if they lay in it and Bucky is starting the crazy habit

glamourkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract litter, but with four cats, it's getting to be a little pricey.  I bought a 40 lb bag of the Precious Cat Ultra Premium litter on Amazon for only $18 delivered and plan on putting the kitten attract on top.

My best friend swears by Fresh Step Odor Blockers but I read the reviews and 1) I have a covered littered box, so don't want them breathing in perfume and dust 2) I don't want to breathe in perfume and dust and 3) I don't want them to smell like chemical cat litter perfume or have dust all over their coats.  (Two of mine are Persians; they have enough potential breathing problems as is, with their smushy little faces.)

Try Kitten Attract or Precious Cat!  Precious Cat is a great litter for the price!