What's wrong with cat??

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am SO sorry you are going through this. Depending on how old your kitty is, she can fight this since you got her to a vet quickly. Fluids will flush toxins and they may need to run tests to see if the kidneys are damaged permanently.

I had a kitty who had CKD and ended up in kidney failure. That was almost 20yrs ago and so much has been done to help kidney issues. My two kittys, almost 17 now, have been dealing with pancreatitis and I recently put them on renal support cat food and wow! They love it. It won't stop kidney disease, but it slows down the scarring of the kidneys. I would suggest speaking to yoru vet about this diet as it may help save your kitty's remaining kidney function.

My heart goes out to you--this must be so difficult. HUGS!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

georgia1188

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As an update she has since been placed on the drip and she has stopped vomiting and is going to the bathroom on her own. She was force fed because she still won't eat but hopefully that will change over the course of the day. I finally managed to have the vet tell me her bloodwork details and he told me her BUN was high. She looks better than yesterday but is still tired.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be honest, I'd be insisting on the Pepcid and Cerenia. For the life of me, I don't know why they are not giving it. It's standard core treatment for kidney disease, acute AND chronic. Her tummy is probably feeling really bad, and she won't eat on her own if it's feeling bad. Vet only mentioned BUN? Not creatinine? That's the big one that usually makes the kitties feel so awful.

Did she keep down the food that was assist-fed to her?

PS - I'm just really frustrated with your vet, so my apologies that you are getting all those questions. I've dealt with two kidney cats and now have a third, so very familiar with the core treatment. I'm wondering if your vet is very new, or perhaps very old.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
agreed. All the vets I ever went to use Cerenia/Zofran and Pepcid together. iv fluids obviously. Both of these come as injections-they can even add it to the port for the fluids but its faster to inject in the skin above the shoulders. they use a diabetic needle and its virtually painfree. I would insist on this. Can you call another vet to consult with your vet? I have never heard of not treating nausea first. That is what even Indexx labs teaches in their online owners courses that they have available for FREE for those of us who have had to deal with illnesses with our animals. Although they don't explain the science jargon but you get the gyst of what they are talking about if you have google open in another window and look up the terms they are saying.

can you get a copy of the blood work and post it here? When I request paper copies I just tell them I am making a file with all information incase of a crisis down the road and they should give it to you. take a photo with your phone and post it here.