What's the weather and temperature like where you live??

Do you like the weather where you live?

• Yes I love it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I detest it

Votes: 24 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
cloudy, wind is really picking up...on the coolish side, 64 degrees... no rain... just hanging around and waiting for it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's 85 and humid here today.  It's supposed to be around 90 the next three days.  Lots of  people at the complex swimming pool enjoying the last day.  Even though it is still hot and humid Labor Day is the last day for the pool, probably an insurance thing.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning it was 23 degrees (-5C), lawn was white because of frost.

I should start raking leaves as there are more on ground than on trees.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
It's back to the famous California weather, 65 at night, 75 during the day, overcast in the morning, this burns up by 10 and the rest of the day is totally clear so the humidity is just right with about 60%. I can't imagine living with snow on the ground again which is why I lasted in Western Washington State for only 16  months before crawling back to SoCal so I would not freeze. Besides that, I could not stand the short growing season, only about 5 months versus all year round gardening.

With people talking about storms and hurricanes I am glad I do not live there, those enormous winds and huge waves and floods scare me to death. Earthquakes that are big enough to feel are rare, there are years when we don't feel any at all, and with fracking there are more earthquakes in Oklahoma and Colorado than there are here.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
why the heck is it so much hotter farther north than it is here?
Ocean makes weather milder, further sea is more harsh weather can be, it works to both extremes, hot and cold. Mountains and sea also affects routes of wind streams, that affects weather.

Here 150 miles makes big difference, east and west wind streams have constant battle and during the winter west wind from sea is bringing warm weather while east wind brings bitterly cold, during the summer it tends to be other way around as at east there is one of the largest land areas and at west there is sea.

If you want really hot place, you need not too nearby sea, mountains around it and quite low flat area at middle of mountains, so that area is kind of bowl surrounded by mountains, like Death valley is, air stream goes above the mountains, while sun heats the bowl so that rising heat keeps air stream up and not getting into bowl, it will get hot in there.

If there is no mountains between you and the sea, then it can't get so hot, especially if sea is less than 100 miles away, air stream from sea will keep temps down and only if air stream comes from opposite direction, temperatures will get high.

Temperature is creeping bit high here again, already 57 degrees, would be nicer below 50 as need to do physical workout again.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Today is "supposed" to be our last day of the really muggy stuff. A front is to be moving in with rain and t-storms. By tomorrow, our highs are to be in the mid-70s to lower 80s and it's to be like that pretty much all through the upcoming week. Not a lot of humidity. It's so thick this morning, it's just horrible again. I hate to say this, but I'm rather looking forward to lower temps, largely because the humidity will have dissipated, too.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@JTbo- I live only about 5 miles from the Pacific ocean, there are some very low foothills in between. To the East there are some mountains about 3,000 feet high with passes going through them, on the other side is the desert. Actually this whole area is considered desert with no real native trees, those that do grow are kind of scrubby, even the oaks. But people have planted all kinds of trees which would die if they were not irrigated.

When the wind blows from the East in the summer it is very  hot and dry, that's when we get temps topping 100F. If it happens during the winter it is cold and dry, temps can get down to 35F but as it is dry there is no snow or hail.

We do get rain from the Northwest in the winter but the temps stay in the 40s, so again: no snow but on top of the mountains.

To us 57F would be a bit chilly and not too warm to work out or do other physical work. Yesterday afternoon it was about 75F and I was in my garden pulling out spent plants like my tomatoes and a few weeds, cleaning up the beds for the winter garden, raking the soil smooth, cut some of the grapevines back (heavy pruning will be done in January when all the leaves have fallen off), tied up the berry vines. I didn't even break out in a sweat. If you consider 50F to be just right for doing physical work you would probably have a heatstroke in weather that I would find "just right" which is between 68 and 75. Lots of green bell peppers still growing in the garden and rhubarb too.  

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is 91 degrees Fahrenheit and humid. This is the weekend of the Garden State (that's New Jersey) Sheep Breeders Association show. Those sheep, angora / pygora goats, angora rabbits still in pens are panting. Nearby Tractor Supply, Home Depot etc are sold out of fans. Some exhibitors are only bringing their animals for morning judging, then taking them right back home. And vendors were saying sales are down too.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
The front came through last night with the wind whipping around the house. But only a wee bit of rain. 
 I think we're simply too dry to rain. The storms have been coming toward us from the west, but splitting in half at the mountain and going north and south. We're getting virtually nothing anymore. It poured at my sister's house, less than 8 miles to the west of us; we got a few drops....that was it.

But it is much cooler here this morning; we're right around 70 F. And we can see "our" mountain across the road, so the humidity has dropped. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It is 70 degrees and humid here. We had a very strong, rapid rain storm go through about 3 hours ago. The rain came down so fast  that I do not think it helped with our drought at all. We are 9 inches below normal rainfall. A major city in the centralish part of the state is now rationing water. The reservoirs are really getting low. 

I saw on the news last night that one Pizza place on the south shore is now using Poland Springs water to make it's dough because it does not want to deplete the reservoir anymore; and they are recycling the run off from the AC unit to water the vegetables they grow.. Yes, it is getting to be bad.. I fear the day when Boston is calling for rationing of water. We use the Quabbin Reservoir..the largest in the State. Too many smaller towns are now tapping into it as their own reservoirs are dangerously low...

We do need rain...

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now we have 78F & sunny. Gorgeous day. Husband keeps banging on about our drought, but copiously waters his veggies every day.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There has actually been some moisture coming from the sky two days ago, not sure if it could be considered rain or just a slight drizzle and only until about 9 a.m.. It's the first precipitation since last January, we did not get a our usual August storms which at least wash the dust off the trees and lawns. The marine layer has been really thick during the night and did not burn up until noon after which there was not a cloud in the sky.  So this gets to be interesting: temps during the day 75+ and one may like a little fan running if one is doing strenuous work but then turn on a little electric heater (I have one of those with phony flames) in the evening to take the chill off a room where it has dipped to 55 and maybe even a little fog has crept in..

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
They were talking on the news last night about the drought in central PA. One township in a neighboring county is requesting water restrictions. We're dry, we are so dry. We did get a very scant amount of rain last early evening when that cold front came through, but not much and it didn't last long at all. This morning, we're in the mid-50s and our high is to be around the mid-70s. 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning very early was only 60. Outside it was chilly. High today will be 76. Realized yesterday that this is the final week of summer. :eek:hno:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This morning very early was only 60. Outside it was chilly. High today will be 76. Realized yesterday that this is the final week of summer. :eek:hno:
If you find yourself missing summer after this week, I'll be happy to send you some of ours. It will continue to be summer here for months. :lol3:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't drive & I walk for 2 hours every day. Snow is a huge pain, but my worst enemy is ICE. I hate that stuff with a passion. Actually, freezing rain is the very worst. I will not go outside when that stuff is happening. It is so terrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.