What's the last thing you ate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

this sound soooo good!!

i'm going to try this. Cept it will be Chickpeas with Black rice. Recently i've been obsessed with the stuff!! have you tried? @MServant  
I've only had black rice in a mix with other kinds of rice.  Does it take longer to cook?  I'm not good with anything that takes longer than 10 minutes!  

I really enjoyed my meal, may do it again tomorrow as still have half the can of chickpeas.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this sound soooo good!!
i'm going to try this. Cept it will be
Chickpeas with Black rice. Recently i've been obsessed with the stuff!! have style="display:inline-block;">@MServant

Have you tried red rice?

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I've only had black rice in a mix with other kinds of rice.  Does it take longer to cook?  I'm not good with anything that takes longer than 10 minutes!  

I really enjoyed my meal, may do it again tomorrow as still have half the can of chickpeas.
Black rice does take longer to cook  -____-

But it is SOOO WORTH it for me.

I cook the rice in either chicken or veggie stock, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and sometimes i'll add half of a hot bombay pepper (gives the rice a really nice kick). boil it till the stock dissolves. takes about 30-40 mins tho
Have you tried red rice?
I have heard of / seen in the grocery store, red rice..however I've never tried it. 

Should I give it a shot?

I'm not so crazy about rice, weird considering my south east asian back ground! 

but i am crazy about black rice, because its full of so many antioxidants, and when eating it, I don't feel like i'm eating rice at all!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should try the red rice. It's slightly different. I've never seen black rice.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of Birch sugar but very interesting.  I do sometimes use Stevia and find it very sweet but is useful in things like custards and other such puddings to slightly control the carbohydrate calorie could.

I just ate a plate of rice and chickpeas with a spicy sauce. Quite nice.
Some stuff that might be interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch_sap

Especially this Xylitol stuff which is alternative to regular sugar like many other of those products, but this one has perhaps best features?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

Oh yes and Xylitol = Birch sugar and it is one ingredient in birch sap, there is about 1% of it so one needs quite a lot of birch sap to make birch sugar.

I still haven't found any method how to extract that sugar from sap, but I know it is possible to make at least syrup, it is same way possible to do from maple tree, so one would get maple syrup.

I would of course like to make sweets from the stuff :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@JTbo  thank you for the information.  It does make sense in terms of Maple syrup and I thought that earlier when I read your post.  Thinking about it I do know about Xylitol as often have mints that have it in.  Never knew it was from Birch sap though!  We live and learn about all sorts of stuff here on TCS. 

I'm afraid I just ate a lot of chocolate raisins.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some leftover split ea soup.  And now I'm craving pancakes or waffles due to the maple syrup discussion.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  l just ordered some from my friend who makes and sells it.

l had pizza for supper, yum.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A high-octane Coke
You give me the giggles because you can't eat a Coke BUT maybe a HIGH OCTANE is edible. :lol3: btw. :anon: WHAT is a high octane Coke. I guess I can figure that one out myself though. LOTS of caffeine??? :crazy:

------------------------

4 cups of Skinny Popcorn. well............................ maybe a little more than that. :D

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Porridge and a cup of moderately 'high octane' tea (caffeine no sugar).  Now contemplating remaining chocolate raisins from sugar fest last night... 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
A piece of apple coffee cake.

Drinking my morning coffee now.....

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
would that be similar to stevia sugar??
i love stevia sugar. it tastes sweeter than regular sugar but its better!
I did see Stevia sugar at shop today, it did cost bit over 530 euros / kg, which must be tad more than it costs there?

Fruktose was around 4 euros / kg, traditional sugar close to 1 euros / kg, there is actually real birch sugar product, but our small shop does not carry that one, I have no idea how expensive that would be.

These are quite expensive pastilles that I just ate, but it seems to be that taking few of these during the day I can stay clear of 400 grams of chocolate, so it is actually cheaper and lot better for me.
http://fromfinland.fi/en/fazer-eucamenthol-box.html

Works really well for running nose and cough too.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@JTbo  your pastilles look quite like the Smint ones I often buy. I can't say they keep me away from chocolate but I do find them refreshing.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@JTbo
 your pastilles look quite like the Smint ones I often buy. I can't say they keep me away from chocolate but I do find them refreshing.
These have Xylitol and tiny bit of Eucalyptus and Menthol, I think it is the Xylitol that makes that sweet taste, I found chocolate to taste bad after these, also sugar tastes now somehow bad, not fresh at all.

Good bit is that mouth feels cleaner, kind of same way clean as right after washing teeth. Expensive, but seem to work wonders for me at least.

I wonder what is in those Smint pastilles?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A small bowl of split pea soup for a post-workout snack.  Trying to find the energy to cook dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.