What's the last thing you ate - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Breakfast, fried potatoes mixed with onion,red pepper and fresh spinach with an over easy brown organic egg on top. Coffee with French vanilla creamer. Delicious!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's a nice  lunch.  Dill pickles are also good with a peanut butter sandwich.
thank you!
  i've never tried dill pickles with a peanut butter sandwich, i guess because i so dearly love sweet bread & butter pickles. i will have to 'take the plunge' and try the dill pickles though.

a serving of hamburger helper, and the last of the orange jello (didn't end up having that for dinner yesterday) -- my lunch. i'm working through the 4 box meals i have in my pantry, to use them up -- 2 hamburger helper's and 2 velveeta's.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you! :)   i've never tried dill pickles with a peanut butter sandwich, i guess because i so dearly love sweet bread & butter pickles. i will have to 'take the plunge' and try the dill pickles though.

a serving of hamburger helper, and the last of the orange jello (didn't end up having that for dinner yesterday) -- my lunch. i'm working through the 4 box meals i have in my pantry, to use them up -- 2 hamburger helper's and 2 velveeta's.
I don't understand what sweet bread and butter pickles are.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are sliced pickles that are preserved with sugar instead of vinegar. Why they are called bread and butter, I have no clue. Maybe because they used to be eaten on bread instead of jam.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I never heard of pickles and peanut butter!
i hadn't either. one day though, i was thinking about a peanut butter sandwich, but didn't really want jelly in it. the sweet bread & butter pickles came to mind...and it was love at first thought! i absolutely adore peanut butter and sweet bread & butter pickle slices sandwiches.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
to me, they're heavenly!

They are sliced pickles that are preserved with sugar instead of vinegar. Why they are called bread and butter, I have no clue. Maybe because they used to be eaten on bread instead of jam.
here's what i found doing an internet search:

'I've been told that bread and butter pickles got their name from the role they played during lean times. Tucked between buttered slices of brown bread, even the smallest sandwich had the ability to satisfy your taste buds and leave you feeling as if you'd had a filling meal.'    Marisa McClellan, Serious Eats

"In case you have ever wondered where they got their name, GFA Brands, which owns Mrs Fannings, has supplied the background. In the early part of the [Ed: 20th] century Cora and Omar Fanning of Streator, IL found themselves short on cash. What they had going for them, however, was a reliable crop of cucumbers and Mrs. Fanning's great recipe for sweet & sour pickle chips. Mrs. Fanning worked out an agreement with a local grocer, who gave her groceries -- including bread 'n butter -- in exchange for the pickles. The name stuck, and has been used by many companies ... Although Mrs. Fanning's pickles began in the Midwest, they are not widely distributed there, but are more readily found in the Eastern, Southern and Western states." -- Feingold News. Feingold Association of the United States. Alexandria, Virginia. October 1996. Page 5.  -- from Cook's Info, cooksinfo dot com

a few vanilla sandwich cookies.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
to me, they're heavenly! :heart3:

here's what i found doing an internet search:

'I've been told that bread and butter pickles got their name from the role they played during lean times. Tucked between buttered slices of brown bread, even the smallest sandwich had the ability to satisfy your taste buds and leave you feeling as if you'd had a filling meal.'    Marisa McClellan, Serious Eats

"In case you have ever wondered where they got their name, GFA Brands, which owns Mrs Fannings, has supplied the background. In the early part of the [Ed: 20th] century Cora and Omar Fanning of Streator, IL found themselves short on cash. What they had going for them, however, was a reliable crop of cucumbers and Mrs. Fanning's great recipe for sweet & sour pickle chips. Mrs. Fanning worked out an agreement with a local grocer, who gave her groceries -- including bread 'n butter -- in exchange for the pickles. The name stuck, and has been used by many companies ... Although Mrs. Fanning's pickles began in the Midwest, they are not widely distributed there, but are more readily found in the Eastern, Southern and Western states." -- Feingold News. Feingold Association of the United States. Alexandria, Virginia. October 1996. Page 5.  -- from Cook's Info, cooksinfo dot com

a few vanilla sandwich cookies.

Wow I never heard of pickles and peanut butter!
Thank you. They sound delicious.

Nor hado I

Status
Not open for further replies.