What's the last thing you ate - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 73596

We get them at a mennonite store that has out-of-date food, factory seconds, etc. at a really cheap price. We go about once a month, get a two pound fig bar pack, it's gone in ~2 weeks.

(Last thing I ate) CHOCOLATE !!!! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We get them at a mennonite store that has out-of-date food, factory seconds, etc. at a really cheap price. We go about once a month, get a two pound fig bar pack, it's gone in ~2 weeks.

(Last thing I ate) CHOCOLATE !!!!
ahhh, very nice! i don't know of any stores in my area that sell out-of-date, factory seconds, etc foods.

i just had some mini pretzels.

D

Deleted member 73596

ahhh, very nice! i don't know of any stores in my area that sell out-of-date, factory seconds, etc foods.

i just had some mini pretzels.
Yum :)
If you live in Pennsylvania anywhere near Lancaster County theres a good chance there's a BB's close by. BB's a common "second hand" food store around here, although the one we go to is called Hornings.

An Aldi strawberry fruit strip :)

Last edited by a moderator:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you've started baking again -- yes? i love to bake.

i had a yogurt cup and a couple fig bars (cookies), to tide me over until breakfast.
when the kids were small I baked, cooked, made jams, made granola etc. I stopped when I'd got divorced and the kids were in the army. No point for me. I made the hot milk cake at 5am as I couldn't sleep. After I washed up I made mac and cheese for the 3rd time in my life. I'd better get more ingredients in for the nights I don't sleep. Problem is my back. It hurts a lot when I stand for sometime. Still it all came out b tasty

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know anything about the law in Canada but I know that is a big no no in the U.S.  I know the supermarket I go to drastically reduces things like dairy and bakery products when they are close to the expiration date.  I have seen milk gallons as low as 99 cents because they are within a couple of days of expiring.  I don't get them because now that it's just me I use very little milk mainly just in coffee and the occasional bowl of cereal.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend contacted them about it and their answer was "if it says best before, it means just that...that it is best before that date not that it is expired" and they will still sell it in their clearance section. They claim they pull all the expired food but they don't. I found expired mayonnaise on their shelf a couple months ago that was marked at 50% off. I was annoyed because I needed it but didn't want to buy expired (I had bought expired mayo from them about a month before because I had forgotten to check the date but it was a different one). I asked them on Facebook about it and they said they would remove it right away and later that week it was still there. When I told them again, they deleted my post. A lot of people complain about them selling expired food and it's a very expensive grocery store. I don't like going there but it's our only option other than this really small store or going into the city. 

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is that like a custard apple?
I have no idea!  I have a lot to learn about apples, it has been years since I've eaten any variety more than rarely.  All I really know is that I don't like red or golden delicious, that northern spy is the best for pie, and I also like baking with granny smith and the green apples we grow ourselves with our container apple trees :) 

D

Deleted member 73596

Too bad..
You can really find some good stuff at Horning's, but it's like Goodwill. If you're too rushed, you don't find much.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our grocery store sells out of date food, it drives me nuts. They aren't supposed to, but they do.
I bought some cans of Nature's Variety Instinct duck at Petco last week. All my cats love their duck. I got out to the car and happened to look at one of the cans. It expired in February. I was so mad. I went back into the store and returned it then went back to the aisle and all the NVI duck was expired. I told the girl in the aisle who couldn't care less so I brought it to the manager's attention. He removed it from the shelf. I still have some Merrick duck pate that they like but they prefer the NVI. It was a good thing I noticed while I was still there.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our grocery store sells out of date food, it drives me nuts. They aren't supposed to, but they do.
Our Safeway does that too if it's going to expire soon they mark it 50% off. Or if they can't sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.