What's the last absent minded thing you did?

silcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've accidentally shoved garbage into my purse and into the laundry hamper, and I have also used shampoo to wash my face. 

Just the other day the other professors and I were having lunch in the cafeteria. I had stored my lunch in the fridge (of the cafe) and was planning to microwave it. Another professor was microwaving his  lunch, which was coincidentally a salad (which was what I had prepared for lunch that day). Thinking that it was my own lunch that had been heated up, I took it out of the microwave, to the table, and started eating. And all that time that professor just stared at me and after 30 seconds started laughing loudly. I asked what was the matter and THEN realized that my own salad was still in the fridge! (We eventually "switched" lunches. 
)

That was quite an embarrassing moment. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Put the milk in the cupboard and the Karo in the fridge. Realized it about 2 minutes later when I went to get the lemon juice out of the fridge....and saw the bottle of Karo. That got me thinking, so I looked in the cupboard where the Karo was supposed to be....and there was the milk. 

One time last year, when Rick was in Oregon, I came home from work, unlocked the house, walked up the steps and immediately started feeding the cats. Did my chores, had dinner, and went to bed. The next morning I got ready for work. And couldn't find my keys. I looked all over the kitchen, but no keys. And then I stopped dead and said, "Noooooo, I did not!" But yeah, I did. Left my keys in the lock of the front door. All night long. Rick was very upset with me that day when I told him. He worries about me being alone at home anyway and knowing that my keys were in the door all night AND, as luck would have it, that was also the night that I never locked the French door in the kitchen, well, dear Richard was not amused to find out that the house was completely open all night long. Now, he calls me every night when he's gone and reminds me to lock the French door and make sure my keys are not in the front door.

Last edited:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is pregnant with my first son I had pregnancy brain and I put my shoes in the freezer one day
And now that I have two kids, both toddlers I've been known to throw garbage in the hamper and dirty laundry in the garbage pail.
Good old pregnancy brain. 
 I almost put my laundry in the garbage and the garbage in the washing machine recently. I know I've done others because I've blamed it on pregnancy brain. That same brain is also making me forget what I did.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I do something like this on a regular basis! :lol3: The latest was putting the toothpaste in the wrong drawer.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
No my shoes were just in the freezer, no bag.

If you were referring that I was the mom that needs more sleep you are right.im 43 and I have a 4 year old and a 17 month old. I feel old and tired lol
Yes, I was referring to you BUT you are NOT old....43 is the new 33....I sure hope so because I am 44.

I don't have kids but have babysat for friends, and boy have I felt exhausted when they left.  I need like a day to recuperate.  They say that kids will keep you YOUNGER, and from what i've seen its true.  Kids see things that we have forgotten and just bring the joy back into life.

.... I walk into rooms all the time and find something new to do
you are not alone on that one. I still love the shoes in the freezer
@Tammat...Thanks for starting this thread.  Whenever i need a smile or laugh, I read through these and it makes my day.   I hope I am not hi jacking your thread by commenting alot, its just that the posts are hilarious.

p.s.  Actually some of the threads are quite useful, like do not forget your keys in door, and make sure you get your own lunch from fridge at work..

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh this thread is giving me some good laughs too. 

I remembered another good one this morning.  When my DD was a baby and holding her own bottle I used to lay her down on a boppy pillow (crescent shaped) on the floor to have her bottle while I poured my coffee and got the rest of her breakfast together.  I used to use some of the formula to make her baby cereal so I'd unscrewed the nipple after I shook it up.  Well....I forgot to screw it back on!  I laid her down and basically poured formula ALL over her!! 
  I can still see the suprised look on her little face!  She was looking at me like "Mommy!!! Why did you make me all wet!!"
  She ended up eating her breakfast wrapped in a dish towel! 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This one happened at my old apartment when we had the trash room just down the hallway.

I bought a camera which came in a box. I was clearing out perishable stuffs from my house, so I had another box to put all the garbage in.

Not much to say, other than I had a brain fart and the $200 brand new camera became part of the garbage. The best part is that I didn't even take what I did until I saw the empty camera box and wondered where the camera was.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MoochnNoodles don't scare a first time Mom to be! 

Keys in door but do that on purpose until I have unloaded everything(husband is known to lock the door mid unload.  No idea why cause he hardly locks door when we are in for night? I tried to close the door and it kept jamming on something...so tried again....and again.

Opened door to see them still dangling.  No harm done.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

MoochnNoodles don't scare a first time Mom to be! 
Aww!  Don't worry; just learn to laugh!  It takes a real sense of humor to be a parent! 

@Fhi09....Did you get the camera back!?  My friend's mother does photography as a hobby and she's done our family pictures, maternity, newborn, etc. quite a few times now.  Last summer she set her camera down and her poodle and my friend's Chihuahua mix started playing and getting riled up.  The next thing they knew the poodle somehow grabbed her camera's long neck strap and took off around the yard with it!  She even snapped a few pictures on her little run...  Luckily; she had insurance on the camera! 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ve been standing in my kitchen waiting for a crumpet to cook. I noticed I hadn't pushed the lever down. Oops! So I did but it still took so long. I looked in the toaster to see how it looked. The toaster was empty. The crumpet was still in the fridge!!!! Please tell me I'm not the only
one who does silly things ;)
Lol of course you're not.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I make up a grocery list and hang it on the front of the fridge with a magnet.  Other people could add to it like my mom and sister so I know what they want.

EVERY time I go to the grocery store, that list sits at home on the fridge.  This happens 8 out of 10 times.  I think I have to start taking photos of that list with my cell phone, because at least then, I would have some list.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops I did it again. Tonight I was waiting for a pot of water to boil to cook pasta. The stove top wasn't turned on. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make up a grocery list and hang it on the front of the fridge with a magnet.  Other people could add to it like my mom and sister so I know what they want.
EVERY time I go to the grocery store, that list sits at home on the fridge.  This happens 8 out of 10 times.  I think I have to start taking photos of that list with my cell phone, because at least then, I would have some list.:deal:  
When I forget my list I come home with plenty of groceries but nothing from the list. Then I have to go back again.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It's gotten to the point that before we leave the house for the grocery store, we go through a mental list:

List and coupons? Check

Grocery Bags? Check

Money? Check

On more than one occasion, we have gone down to the grocery store, run through the store and gotten to the check-out, only for dear Richard to realize that he's forgotten to bring the money with him. Then we have to put it on the credit card. Or as we're walking into the store, Rick will say, "Oh crap." He'll get my keys to drive home for the money while I start shopping. Or we'll have to turn around in somebody's driveway to go back home and get money. We are more than a little scatterbrained. Rick more so than me, but I forget my share of stuff, too.

I think that, at one time or another, we have turned around in everybody's driveway now along our road. We drive by a driveway and it's like, "Oh yeah, we've turned around in that driveway!"

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops I did it again. Tonight I was waiting for a pot of water to boil to cook pasta. The stove top wasn't turned on.
I like your way of doing things in the kitchen. because yes, you may be waiting extra long for a meal, but you do not burn your meals either.  I put pizza in the oven, set my timer, check on it midway.....but those last 10 minutes seem to be crucial in getting the proper bake.  I better stick to microwave.

When I forget my list I come home with plenty of groceries but nothing from the list. Then I have to go back again.
LOL....this has made me feel better all ready.   But then I carry "that LIST" back to the store, like it was the winning lotto ticket, clutched in my hand, and never dropped.....double checked so nothing is missed....again.

Have you ever forgotten where you last parked your car?  I have only done this once, at a shopping mall around Christmas time....and had to wait until the parking lot was emptied, because I knew what store I had parked beside, just forgot which entrance....and there were three entrances.....so I just went and shopped some more.....It was the longest 6 hours ever of shopping. 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

It's gotten to the point that before we leave the house for the grocery store, we go through a mental list:

List and coupons? Check

Grocery Bags? Check

Money? Check

I think that, at one time or another, we have turned around in everybody's driveway now along our road. We drive by a driveway and it's like, "Oh yeah, we've turned around in that driveway!"
I gotta write this one down.....List, bags, money......lol.    That turning around thing.....lol.....What is worse is the reaction from your animals who have just seen you leave.....and  then you are back in less than 10 minutes.  I wonder what they are thinking?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once I was on the phone with my mom and I said oh my gosh mom I can't find my phone I got to find it. My mom was silent for 30 seconds and then just died laughing
I ve been standing in my kitchen waiting
for a crumpet to cook. I noticed I hadn't pushed the lever down. Oops! So I did but it still took so long. I looked in the toaster to see how it looked. The toaster
was empty. The crumpet was still in the fridge!!!! Please tell me I'm not the only
one who does silly things ;)
Lol of course you're not.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep going to push my glasses back on my nose only the glasses b4ddd

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops I did it again. Tonight I was waiting for a pot of water to boil to cook pasta. The stove top wasn't turned on.
 I turned on the wrong burner a couple days ago and was wondering why my pancakes weren't cooking. The butter had melted because I originally was cooking it on a different burner but it was smoking so I turned it off and used a different one.