What's the best way to keep a cat from spitting out liquid medicine? - more Punky follow-up

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are smart. They learn from previous experiences. Maybe too smart.

Okay, so now I've set it up, how do I get Punky from spitting out the liquid medicine?

It is Day 3 of a 5-day treatment of Flagyl, and I have finally learned to wrap him in a blanket or towel (after suffering major scratches on Day 1). And Punky has figured out the routine.

He is spit out the medicine this afternoon. He's not spitting out all of it - he is having to swallow some. That's good.

But he clinches his jaw so tightly now that it's harder to get the syringe in. And he fights me like a demon. And he has learned to spit.

The good news is the Flagyl is having the desired effect, he isn't having the runny squats. But I need to make sure he swallows the entire dose & it's getting harder to do that.

Your ideas are welcome.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Flagyl just tastes super nasty to cats. I don't think the pill form is any better even if coated with a Pill Pocket or somethng. Maybe try coating the outside of the syringe with tuna juice or something yummy so the cat is more likely to at least open the mouth to taste the syringe? Instead of squirting the entire dose in at all at once, try small amounts and let the cat swallow (and drool) for a bit before squirting a little more in. Holding the head up usually helps keep the medicine from dribbling out too much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Flagyl just tastes super nasty to cats. I don't think the pill form is any better even if coated with a Pill Pocket or somethng. Maybe try coating the outside of the syringe with tuna juice or something yummy so the cat is more likely to at least open the mouth to taste the syringe? Instead of squirting the entire dose in at all at once, try small amounts and let the cat swallow (and drool) for a bit before squirting a little more in. Holding the head up usually helps keep the medicine from dribbling out too much.
Oh, great ideas! I definitely will remember to keep his head up. And I do have tuna juice & Fancy Feast gravy lovers to coat the syringes.

I have prefilled syringes in various rooms of my house just in case I can catch him unaware.

Hopefully, this works. He has been hiding under the bed today - where I cannot reach him easily (quick learner).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Wedgewood Pharmacy compounds metronidazole for dogs and cats.

Metronidazole Medication & Information for Animals

Not guaranteeing this would work in a cat who does not want to take meds in the first place but Flagyl is supposedly one of the worst tasting.

I have used the "always have a pill or syringe ready in every room" as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wedgewood Pharmacy compounds metronidazole for dogs and cats.

Metronidazole Medication & Information for Animals

Not guaranteeing this would work in a cat who does not want to take meds in the first place but Flagyl is supposedly one of the worst tasting.

I have used the "always have a pill or syringe ready in every room" as well.
It is sooooooo depressing. And frustrating. I know he needs the medication to heal, but I cannot do this anymore. And I don't like my cat being afraid of me.

So I have made appointments with the vet tech and they will give him the medication.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try two syringes, one with the medicine and one pre-filled with tuna-can water. As soon as you do the liquid meds (try to get it as far back as possible in his mouth), follow it with the tuna juice so he can’t spit up the medicine. Sometimes if you stroke their throat after giving meds (keep their mouth closed!) they’ll swallow involuntarily. Good luck!