What's something cool that you made for your cat instead of buying it?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah! I only put in two zippers (one long along a long end attached to the neck hole and one on the opposite corner for feet access) but you could put in even more! I considered putting in 4 for the feet but I really didn't want to spend the money on zippers lol. I considered making it with a pillow case! It is a good option if you have an extra laying around :) I just didn't have one honestly lol. I can get a photo of her in it one of these days, I just don't want her to think of it as a bad thing lol. Honestly, it looks like a cat wrapped in a bag with its head poking out lol. 
Thanks so much.  Yeah, I was hoping I could just pick up some inexpensive zippers from the dollar store, or re-use them from something else.  I'm not the greatest at sewing, so I will probably get my sister to sew it...but 2 zippers should not be too hard. 

You are absolutely right...I'm not sure I would risk taking a photo, of my cat in a bag, either...and him thinking I was prolonging the situation.
  (though, he likes treats...so maybe bribery would work.)

Still it's a very useful idea.  thank you.

padfootandmoony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thanks so much.  Yeah, I was hoping I could just pick up some inexpensive zippers from the dollar store, or re-use them from something else.  I'm not the greatest at sewing, so I will probably get my sister to sew it...but 2 zippers should not be too hard. 

You are absolutely right...I'm not sure I would risk taking a photo, of my cat in a bag, either...and him thinking I was prolonging the situation.
  (though, he likes treats...so maybe bribery would work.)

Still it's a very useful idea.  thank you.

No problem! I wanted a cat bag but couldn't find one that looked like it would work for me or my cat (her neck is TINY) and this was the best way I could think to do it! :)

padfootandmoony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made another thing for my cat! So it was really easy to make but my cat makes a HUGE mess with her litter and I wanted to make it so she had more room for her digging pleasures. I decided to do this instead of buying another box because all the boxes I could find had too low of a side and my cat is good with jumping in this box as she is young and she is small. I made it with a rubbermaid box instead of sterilight as the sterilight didn't fit next to my toilet and this is where we have room for the little box (apartment problems). I also added the carpet to the top for her to land on so she ends up not getting much litter anywhere. RIght now we are in the stage where she uses it without the top and in about a week we will put the top on and hope for the best. If she won't sue the top then I guess I didn't make anything but at least she uses it and we have already cut down on our litter issues by 80%. I also added a command hook for easy storage of the scoop and please excuse my mess of a bathroom. I just traced a plate, cut the hole with a box knife, sanded the edge, and then cut the rug to fit and taped it down with moveable rug tape. The clear base makes her feel like she can see danger and I don't mind being able to see inside the box. I got the little rug and the box at walmart. THe rug was just a simple litter box mat. 

cisforcookie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Simple idea, but still pretty cool.   And  the fact that she loves it is an added bonus.

lemondrop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've made a lot of stuff for my cats! Here is our living room cat tree, from two angles.

I crocheted these toys for them, as well. The green one is meant to go under a door so they can play even if they're separated for some reason. And they're both stuffed with catnip!

Here's the cat tree in my bedroom. I wish both trees had more sisal parts, but gluing the sisal myself takes forever and makes our whole apartment REEK.

And my mom, doting cat grandma that she is, made them this bed just two weeks ago! They took to it immediately, but Mendel loves it best.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooo!  Noodles is jealous of this bed!  She used to have a similar style bed that she loved; but she "soiled" it when I tried to confine her to a bathroom one night to get a urine sample for the vet.  She wasn't having any of that with the special litter pan! 
  That was the end of the bed!  I haven't found her a round, deep and sturdy bed yet! 

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love these i just learned the foundation stitch toaday (basically finger knitting why don't they just say that) i'm hoping to create little owl ones stuffed with paper / wood shavings and cat nip eventually

poison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I've seen this thread and well, even though there is still some stuff to finalize on it, I wanted to share something we did those last few days.

It all started when I decided to get a cat tree a few years ago. I got one but the casings and shelves were too small, the whole thing wasn't stable like at all and fell into pieces pretty soon and the rest was shredded. After my second attempt, with a bigger and more expensive one, failed just as miserably, I've decided: "what's the heck, let's do it ourselves!" Easier said that done, right?

We have 3 cats who are completely different from one another and who like different things. I tried to take this into consideration when I draw the plans of their future condo, so they can each be happy with it. I also wanted something that would fit into my house and not too harsh on the eyes (but I realise now I could have done better with that !), and more importantly that would be easy to move around, wash and clean around or under.  It also would have to be very stable, able to bear the weight of all of them being on it and offer them enough space to lay as they like to do (meaning: spread out).

Here is what I came up with:

I am lucky enough to have a friend who work at a wooden houses factory, and he helped me with this project.

Now, we did put the whole thing on wheels (with brakes) so we can move it easily if we need to, and we left an empty space under so I can vacuum and clean the floor just fine. I also wanted a hammock since I was pretty sure one or two of them cats would enjoy it. I found this hammock on Amazon, it was cheap and is washable, along with the scratching things made in cisal. Carpetting is some "vetbed", which is washable and can be removed any time I want. This was actually the most expensive thing I have bought for this condo, I wanted the good stuff for this so I spend 25€ on it.

Right now, the condo is still missing some toys and stuff and I'm planning on painting  the raw wood, maybe with the same blue color as the hammock and carpeting, not sure yet.

I bought all the materials whenever I could afford it, so I had some stuff for a few months now. Here is what it cost me:

- wood:                            0

- staples, screws:       4
- wheels:                       15

- cisal stuff:                   15

- hammock:                    6
- vetbed:                        25

-----------------------------------
                                        65€

Here it is:

Global view from front:

Left side

Right side: (there is another shelf  under the sisal stuff they can use to sit, climb, scratch)

First floor

Second floor: (there is a shelf behind the hammock they can lay on or use to get to the top floor)

Top floor:

They love it, and I can barely have them down. The two males at least. My old grumpy lady need a little more time to get used to new things, but I've seen her in the casings a few time and grooming herself on the second floor yesterday. I'm pretty happy with my cat's condo

Last edited by a moderator:

onirin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this was mentioned yet...

But I cut toilet paper rolls into rings.  On a hardwood floor my cat bats it around like crazy.  She also pick it up and runs around.

It only lasts about a week before it's destroyed, but hey I got a lot of TP rolls ready for the next one.

I also got some pipecleaner and twisted the ends so the end wont poke and hurt my kitty.  Then I wrap the pipecleaner around my finger to make it springy.  Sometimes I make other shapes. She was tug and pull the shape apart but I can just reform it. I wont leave her alone with it though, in case she tries to eat it.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lemondrop lemondrop and poison poison those are great cat trees! I've always wanted to make my own as the ones you can buy are so flimsy and expensive for what you get. One day, one day...

poison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@pushylady all I can tell you is: It's really worth it!

I did paint the raw wood on mine, I'm pretty satisfied with the final. And my old and grumpy lady Helium adopted it ! Yeah!