What's something cool that you made for your cat instead of buying it?

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it took me a month, but inspired by @Draco I saved my cardboard rolls and made a super awesome cat toy out of them! Mine is particularly cool because of all the classy duct tape. :)

They were unsure at first, but Wiggies got into it eventually. It keeps him busy for a while trying to scoop out the treats.

Pushkin pretty much just sits there and watches. :rolleyes:

I did bit similar one, but only two of my cats got it and most of the others did not even pay much attention, one was just purring and rubbing his head against my knee while kneading the floor, but he did not understood that there was treats, only if I put one into his mouth he understood to eat it and started to rub his head more while purring louder.

He did have about zero brain activity I think, he was just over happy, but could not understand this toy, even saw others using it.

Those that got the toy did not had interest to that very long, not sure why, they do like those treats but maybe they were just bit tired.

Have to see if there is anything left from toy at the morning.

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awesome thread...

Where do you find the carpet for tree and window perches? Neither myself or my husband are handy.
I just asked on a Mesa (AZ) board if anyone made cat tree/shelves ect...

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a few stores I've been to or seen around that sell carpet "scraps", so to speak, very cheaply. They're marketed as carpet remnants. We bought our area rug-type thing and a small roll of rougher carpet to line cardboard boxes for the cats for about $40.

littlelion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow everyone has very cool DIYS! I have made a lot of toys for Happy but here's something I made that I thought was cool:

They are beds like these http://www.petco.com/product/125405/Petco-Restful-Snuggler-Pyramid-Cat-Bed.aspx Happy has one similar to it but he doesn't like it

So I took the hood of a litter box and put a blanket inside! Happy likes it

But I can't get a pic until tomorrow because it's in the barn (I don't feel like putting on my jackets and stuff because it's like 36 degrees and it's dark outside) for when Happy and I go there but if any of you make it please share your pictures for me lol

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
pinkdagger pinkdagger names of stores? Like a craft store? I want to make "the kittens" (all but one are not really kittens now lol) benches now that we will soon be cooling down in AZ.

I caught Wally in the dryer yesterday :( where it is cooler. I keep the house at 70.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Pinkdagger names of stores? Like a craft store? I want to make "the kittens" (all but one are not really kittens now lol) benches now that we will soon be cooling down in AZ.

I caught Wally in the dryer yesterday
where it is cooler. I keep the house at 70.
I don't think I've come across any chains. One of the ones near my hometown is called Wally's Wemnants but this place exists in two locations in Phoenix: http://www.carpetdepotaz.com/ and then http://www.apcarpet.com/Services.html

banjosmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're very talented Norachan & living in the right place to study & be influenced - love everything about them.

The efforts you all do are truly wonderful - just like building cubby houses for our kids, making things for the moggs.

Lovely to see....

I can now see where I can make (or my DO (dear one)) a hammock to suspend from a store bought tree.  Be easy.

Thanks for such great ideas...

atremblay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Reason they lost interest is the bottom is flat.  Try putting a little bit of a slope they using something that you can shape.  Like the look.  Was wondering where you got the idea from?

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this is very cool, but I made it today for the cats from mostly scraps I had in workshop.

I got good laugh at point where I did start to sand wood with sanding pad, all black sanding material came off from pad and wood was mostly untouched, don't you just love cheap stuff made in China? :D

I don't think that it matters to cats that it is not sanded too well, they will probably use board for scratching anyway.

There is many small screws at top, those were kind of screws that has drill tip, so they are not needle sharp, but still have some edges which should work quite well when cat rubs cheek into them and my theory is it should solve tangled fur before it gets tangled.

Height is about height of my largest cat's back.

Immediately when I put that on their floor, there was several cats testing it and clearly enjoying from rubbing cheek, side and top of their heads against the screws. It seem to be staying on place too quite well as they stand on board when rubbing.

Idea for that came when I noticed my cats loving to rub their cheek against regular hair brush, which they seemed to love, it took me quite long to actually get around and build something they could use, I might find some improvements after they have used it for some time.

Cost might of been something around 80 cents and bit of time, didn't really calculate costs of screws, board and support bracket, but I think it will be close to 80 cents even if I would buy everything new.

Support board was attached with wooden pins, just drilled tight holes, hammered pins in and hammered support board to pins, didn't use glue as it is still below freezing in workshop.

Also I might add more screws later, more distance between screws should get deeper, more should be shallower work, that is at least my theory, also bottom row of holes is perhaps too close to edge of cutout so those might not be much use unless I cut out bit more wood. One idea might be to have another area of screws where there is more or less space between screws so cat could choose which level of work he/she wants.

Some more time and supplies might make that even pretty, but I'm too busy for prettiness (of course lack of hand skills has nothing to do with it) :D

Oh and if you want to build something similar, don't round corners of vertical board too much, cats like from those corners a lot.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Immediately when I put that on their floor, there was several cats testing it and clearly enjoying from rubbing cheek, side and top of their heads against the screws.
:bigthumb: Well that's the proof right there! It looks very practical and should survive being outside too. Good job!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:bigthumb: Well that's the proof right there! It looks very practical and should survive being outside too. Good job!
Thanks!

It might look like a medieval torturing device, but if they like from such, what I'm to judge them :D

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

There is many small screws at top, those were kind of screws that has drill tip, so they are not needle sharp, but still have some edges which should work quite well when cat rubs cheek into them and my theory is it should solve tangled fur before it gets tangled.

Height is about height of my largest cat's back.

Immediately when I put that on their floor, there was several cats testing it and clearly enjoying from rubbing cheek, side and top of their heads against the screws. It seem to be staying on place too quite well as they stand on board when rubbing.

Idea for that came when I noticed my cats loving to rub their cheek against regular hair brush, which they seemed to love, it took me quite long to actually get around and build something they could use, I might find some improvements after they have used it for some time.

Cost might of been something around 80 cents and bit of time, didn't really calculate costs of screws, board and support bracket, but I think it will be close to 80 cents even if I would buy everything new.

Support board was attached with wooden pins, just drilled tight holes, hammered pins in and hammered support board to pins, didn't use glue as it is still below freezing in workshop.

Also I might add more screws later, more distance between screws should get deeper, more should be shallower work, that is at least my theory, also bottom row of holes is perhaps too close to edge of cutout so those might not be much use unless I cut out bit more wood. One idea might be to have another area of screws where there is more or less space between screws so cat could choose which level of work he/she wants.

Some more time and supplies might make that even pretty, but I'm too busy for prettiness (of course lack of hand skills has nothing to do with it)

Oh and if you want to build something similar, don't round corners of vertical board too much, cats like from those corners a lot.
I really like this idea, too.  You made your very own 'cat self-groomer and scratching post'.  And it does not look too difficult to make.  Though, I am glad that you worked out the details...so anyone can try making their own.

@JTbo   One question, ...for the top grooming screws....What depth do they have to be?    (I bought some sort of plastic self-groomer "Cat It...Self-groomer"..but only one of my cats liked it.)

Your design...I could possibly just use the top part and attach it to indoor furniture, ...and see how that works.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like this idea, too.  You made your very own 'cat self-groomer and scratching post'.  And it does not look too difficult to make.  Though, I am glad that you worked out the details...so anyone can try making their own.

@JTbo
  One question, ...for the top grooming screws....What depth do they have to be?    (I bought some sort of plastic self-groomer "Cat It...Self-groomer"..but only one of my cats liked it.)
Your design...I could possibly just use the top part and attach it to indoor furniture, ...and see how that works.
I think that depth depends greatly from thickness of the board, I did not have enough long screws so I ended up cutting piece of wood out, they don't need to be sticking out much, also if they stick out a lot and there are only few, then it might be danger to eyes, so you might want to put enough of them screws and not too much sticking out.
Less than half inch perhaps (about 1cm) might be good aim, also I don't think that regular screws will do, too sharp point, those were screws meant to drill trough metal by themselves so point is not so sharp.

You could also use wooden pins to vertical board and glue that, so it might be possible to make to look nicer, but attaching to furniture might work, however I think mine did get interested of it because it was kind of sticking out, cats tend to rub their heads to things that stick out, branches and such, maybe because it is easy for other cats to recognize as scent swapping location.
So when attaching to furniture one might need to put it horizontal so that it sticks out.

Oh and if using regular screws, maybe one could put something to point of screws, so they are not so sharp or file them to be bit round, however filing many screws is quite bit of work.

Drilling those pilot holes helps screws to get started even if one files them and prevents wood from cracking.

padfootandmoony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a cat tree I made for my cats. It's 5 feet tall, very sturdy, and they have a lot of fun with it! It's not the prettiest thing in the world but it does the job nicely. It has 2 carpeted scartching posts and 1 bare wood scratching post, 2 boxes to hide in, scratching carpet and fake grass on the base, 2 carpeted levels and a cat hammock. They often sleep in the hammock together and it holds fine, although it's really only big enough for one cat! There's also a half-platform on the top of that top box so they can go inside it and climb on top of it from there. 

The dorks sleeping in the hammock together. 
How much did it cost to make this? I don't have any tools or anything but I am interested. I got my tree for 45$ on amazon but its only 50" tall so I was just curious! Our apartment lends itself to not allowing holes in the wall so no superhighway for my little one!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that depth depends greatly from thickness of the board, I did not have enough long screws so I ended up cutting piece of wood out, they don't need to be sticking out much, also if they stick out a lot and there are only few, then it might be danger to eyes, so you might want to put enough of them screws and not too much sticking out.
Less than half inch perhaps (about 1cm) might be good aim, also I don't think that regular screws will do, too sharp point, those were screws meant to drill trough metal by themselves so point is not so sharp.

You could also use wooden pins to vertical board and glue that, so it might be possible to make to look nicer, but attaching to furniture might work, however I think mine did get interested of it because it was kind of sticking out, cats tend to rub their heads to things that stick out, branches and such, maybe because it is easy for other cats to recognize as scent swapping location.
So when attaching to furniture one might need to put it horizontal so that it sticks out.

Oh and if using regular screws, maybe one could put something to point of screws, so they are not so sharp or file them to be bit round, however filing many screws is quite bit of work.

Drilling those pilot holes helps screws to get started even if one files them and prevents wood from cracking.
Thanks a lot, @JTbo.  What I will try then is to use sheet metal screws with blunt ends, or metal screws and blunt them with a bench grinder.  Okay, I will put a lot in, as well, and 1cm depth....to avoid eye danger. Drilling pilot holes, first. 

They do sell small wooden dowel pins, too, so yes...maybe I will try both...and see which one the cat likes more.  (I think I might have some wooden pins lying around from old IKEA furniture assembly, because they always seem to give extra.)  Great idea. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Ah ha, so everyone else has been making things for their cats this weekend too, huh? 

This is a joint effort by Mr Husband and me. I designed and painted it, he did anything that could be done with power tools.

A wooden box to keep the litter boxes in. Now we can leave them out on the deck even when it rains and the cat litter stays dry. Also doubles as a sunbathing deck/lookout for the cats

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
A wooden box to keep the litter boxes in. Now we can leave them out on the deck even when it rains and the cat litter stays dry. Also doubles as a sunbathing deck/lookout for the cats
This is such a neat idea.  For indoor or outdoor cats within enclosures, they would have their own outdoor litter box area...and free roaming cats would benefit also...to prevent any from using vegetable, flower gardens or under decks as their personal relief areas.  Very practical, discrete, and pretty.

padfootandmoony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made a cat restraint bag for nail trimming and medicine giving. I don't have someone to help me out by holding her while in a towel or anything so it isn't easy to get either of these things done. She is afraid of nail trimmings because she was an adult when we got her and had never had  her nails done before. Of course, we also managed to cut her quick the second time we got any nails done. So she hates getting them done and has to be restrained or I get scratched a lot. I tried doing the towel trick but she has none of it. luckily she is great when scruffed so I just have to scruff her and place her in this bag if she doesn't just climb in (which she did this time but we will see how well that keeps up lol. 

First photo is just it laying flat, second is the neck hole (with a little clip if I need to use the zipper for her front feet) and the opening down the back, third is the whole thing open how I get her in, and the last is the hole in the back bottom that I can unzip to get to her back legs or give medication or do anything I may need to get to. 

I used iron on fabric adhesive as I have no sewing machine at the moment and hand stitched the rest. Worked like a charm and was cheaper and much cooler looking than anything I could have bought :) I guess this was more for me but I enjoyed making it and it was quite the needed item for getting those nails trimmed and not getting hurt (and her being fairly calm!)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
First photo is just it laying flat, second is the neck hole (with a little clip if I need to use the zipper for her front feet) and the opening down the back, third is the whole thing open how I get her in, and the last is the hole in the back bottom that I can unzip to get to her back legs or give medication or do anything I may need to get to. 

I used iron on fabric adhesive as I have no sewing machine at the moment and hand stitched the rest. Worked like a charm and was cheaper and much cooler looking than anything I could have bought :) I guess this was more for me but I enjoyed making it and it was quite the needed item for getting those nails trimmed and not getting hurt (and her being fairly calm!
Hi @PadfootandMoony   I really like this idea of a cat restraint bag, for when I have to trim my cat's nails, or give him medicine, etc.  The only problem I'm having is trying to visualize my cat inside of one. Are there more than one zippers? in your design.

Can I use an old pillow case, and cut the back off, or top...and then attach some zippers? (I am able to use a towel for my cat and get him wrapped like a taco...but having this bag available would be handy.)