What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Vegetable soup .... got it out of the freezer last night. And I also got a round of Tomato Bread out of the freezer while I was at it. (I will often put my bread dough into a round cake pan, instead of a loaf pan, and rise the dough that way. It looks pretty when it's baked and it's a little something different.)

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turkey sausages tonight. I am hoping it stops raining so I can grill them, otherwise they will be fried in a pan.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think substituting the yogurt for the sour cream is a great idea.  It would give that right "tangy" taste too.

Dinner...my stomach is growling.  I think I'm going with a frozen pizza. 
yes, the yogurt has that right tangy taste. i started substituting yogurt for sour cream because i was never be able to finish the whole container of sour cream and it costs more. i love yogurt anyway.

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm thinking of baking a couple more of the banquet pot pies for my dinner tonight. it's a bit cool here today (compared to hot and humid yesterday), so i think a warm dinner will be nice.

i always eat a lighter dinner and a bigger meal for lunch, my thought being that i need more energy earlier in the day than i do towards the end of the day.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Going to my sister's house tonight for food and fireworks: 

BBQ chicken and hamburgers (their fire company did a BBQ chicken fund-raiser last weekend, so she bought a ton of chicken and stuck it in the freezer.)

Macaroni salad

Pineapple Banana Slaw (thanks, Peaches!)

Crock Pot Beans

Cucumber and onion salad

Hot Milk Sponge Cake

Lemon Sponge Cake Cookies and Frosted Peanut Butter Cookies

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

BBQ chicken and hamburgers (their fire company did a BBQ chicken fund-raiser last weekend, so she bought a ton of chicken and stuck it in the freezer.)

Macaroni salad

Crock Pot Beans

Cucumber and onion salad

Hot Milk Sponge Cake

Can I come?
 That all sounds delicious. 

Tonight, I am making the sausages I was going to make last night. We ended up going out for dinner last night, but I wish we hadn't. It was disappointing and I was still hungry after.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, I have yet to go to a real BBQ this summer. The closest I've had is at my friend's studio where they got a teeny tiny little grill so they can cook out on their fire escape platform, lol (so safe!). My dad LOVES BBQ so when I lived at home, I'd get nice smokey meats and delicious baked ribs all the time.

But now I live in an apartment with a vegetarian so I'm just having garlic and parm roasted potatoes with some egg and broccoli. At least, I hope so... if there are any left after lunch. Anyone have tips on how to train a hooman to cook for them?
Mine just feeds himself a bowl of Captain Crunch for dinner and leaves me coming home from work hungry to find nothing prepared.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is removable, but it is AWFUL to clean. Everything sticks to it and I usually have to let it soak for a while and then scrub really hard to get it clean. I want to get an actual Crock Pot brand one. I have a Bravetti slow cooker. We got one as a wedding gift and hated it (it gets too hot and because it's hard to clean). My husband accidentally dropped it and broke the pot inside so we were going to buy a better one. Less than 2 months later at Christmas, my mom bought us a new one...the exact same one we hated. 
That's so sad. Did it give you as much problems as the broken one? More than 7 months has past since Christmas. That should allow you to get an actual crockpot. I don't even know if I can get them here.
Not that I'd know what to do with one if I had one.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now what you do is to get the one you want and then you "accidentally" break the one you hate. Or you can say you had it at a potluck and it disappeared from there. Rival is the original one and mine is ages old, when I broke the liner I actually found a replacement at a thrift shop.
But her mum bought it. Tact is needed. HE dropped it. :D

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Macaroni salad
Crock Pot Beans
Cucumber and onion salad
Hot Milk Sponge Cake
Hot milk sponge cake?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have cookbooks and I've tried to learn to cook, but I honestly just can't cook. Things never turn out right when I try to cook, even following a recipe. I can bake though, I love baking.
try allrecipes.com  - you can search by ingredient or by recipe name and look for the one with the highest rating. you can read the reviews before you try it. I have found so many great recipes there

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mrs. B, you're always more than welcome to have dinner with us! 

Stewball, a hot milk sponge cake is just a cake that includes one cup of hot milk in its ingredients. The batter is poured into and greased and floured 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan, baked and cooled. Then it's topped with a chocolate frosting (and yes, the frosting must be chocolate for a hot milk sponge cake). This recipe is as old as the hills. It was my grandma's recipe and my mother made it all the time. Since Mom passed away, there are times when my sister and I really need this cake. She taught her daughter, my niece, how to make them and my niece actually made the one we ate yesterday. It's really good, but it's a bit of a heavier cake and has a different texture. It's a delicious cake, though.

Kat0121, I love allrecipes.com and have gotten many wonderful recipes from that site. I have one of their cookbooks: All-Recipes Cookbook. There is not a bad recipe in that book; every recipe I have tried is excellent. It's an older cookbook, probably one of their very first ones, 2002. I highly recommend it.

Tonight Rick is making his famous (famous within the family, that is) hamburgers. Well, cheeseburgers. On the grill. I'm not sure what we're having with them yet. We brought home no leftovers to have today, so I'll have to make something. I'm thinking of corn on the cob.

ETA: Well, that changed. Rick's mom's new glasses came in and she wants to pick them up today. If we take her, she said she'd take us out to dinner. So Rick is going to take her down for her glasses and then they're going for dinner. I really don't feel like going along; I want to stay home, so I can get the yard mowed. I'll probably just make a sandwich or something.

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think it'll be a nice bowl of oatmeal with my homemade flavoring mix in it. i'll probably also have some yogurt with homemade granola in it at some point this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.