What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are having spaghetti bolognaise tonight. I don't eat the spaghetti but I'll have the sauce with veggies.

I too just cook my chicken wings with olive oil and salt and pepper. It's all about the skin, it's crunchy and it sort of caremalises. Oh yum. ;)

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Boiled potatoes, stir fry white cabbage with some onions caramelized before I put the cabbage in the pan and two slices of home-made meatloaf  from the freezer, one 80 calorie raspberry and chocolate Weight Watchers ice cream bar, just enough to satisfy the sweet tooth, although stir-frying the cabbage makes it sweet anyway with the addition of a just a pinch of salt.

I've picked 10 ears of white corn in  my garden today, gave two away and vacuum packed and froze the others. There will be another 10 or so in about a week, then I'll pull up the stalks and plant some more corn where the leeks and lettuces used to be. I'll leave the "corn field" alone until October when I will plant Mauii onions. No ripe tomatoes as yet but some zucchini and various peppers, cucumbers too, especially the long Japanese ones and loads of green and wax beans. Not bad for a city girl who used to even kill philodendron in a pot.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of these "zong" - sticky rice with beans, eggs, and meats packed and wrapped tightly. My grandmas and mom make a bunch for me all the time.

For dessert, I had a different type of zong, the orange one at the bottom of the Wiki page "jianshui zongzi", which is a smoother version that's soaked in lye water that colours it. Mine had red beans in the middle, and in my family it's commonly served topped with white sugar. Compared to the meals above, I was a totally fatty today. ALL rice!

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thinking of grilled chicken with some vegetables.
Do you grill the vegetables too. I love grilled chicken. We are having pork chops left from our dinner at the restaurant yesterday. I have some fresh string beans I am going to snap and cook with some boiled potato in them.

mrsfpmister

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Left over Chinese delivery [emoji]128563[/emoji]
Darn, I really need to go grocery shipping. I do believe the cat has more food choices than me right now [emoji]128514[/emoji]

By the way, I now know what "Poutine" is thanks to you guys [emoji]128077[/emoji] or should I say "thanks Canada!" Lol

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I guess I'll just scrounge in the fridge to see what I've got: some boiled potatoes, 2 pieces of cooked chicken breast, any number of things to put in salad, cucumber salad already made, I don't think I'll starve. Just got back from my community garden plot where I picked green and yellow wax beans, some small tomatoes, and a zucchini 10 inches long. Gotta figure out what do with that.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chow mein. I've never made it before. The family are bound to screw their faces up about it!!!
Just to update. My eldest daughter came home from school, looked at our dinner in the pot and said she wouldn't eat it. Oh the joys of having children!!!!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Just to update. My eldest daughter came home from school, looked at our dinner in the pot and said she wouldn't eat it. Oh the joys of having children!!!!!
Hey, Rick will come help eat that.....he just loves chow mein and it's something I don't make very often.

Tonight is ham. If it's not raining, we're going to grill it. Probably with some green beans, corn, mushrooms, peppers, and onion.

Somebody asked me if we grilled our sides. Yes, we do. We have two grilling baskets that are perfect for stir-fries and to grill even small vegetables. The baskets come with a lid that fastens on to the basket, so we can shake the food well and not have to worry about it falling through the basket holes or coming out of the basket. The baskets do not clean up all that well, but they're only used on the grill, so we do the best we can. Makes good grilled diced potatoes with chopped onion, for example.

One of these days, I'm going to have to hit the market just for some meat. I managed to use all of the meat out of our freezer during the past few months, except for two whole chickens and a nice big pork shoulder, which will be smoked on the grill. I wanted to get foods used up from the freezer for a good cleaning before the garden stuff got harvested later on this summer. I still have a ton of veggies, but will get them used within the next couple of months. 

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not looking forward to when my kids can say they won't eat things. 

I'm making pork tonight. I'm going to stick it in the slow cooker soon.

editht

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a seafood truck that comes to Madison once a month and sells shrimp and other seafood from Louisiana.  Yesterday I bought crawfish tails which I haven't cooked before.  I found a great recipe by Emeril for crawfish tails in cream served over pasta.  Probably wouldn't be a big hit with kids but I don't have any kids at home to worry about.  The ones I do have would probably have loved it but don't live close enough to join us for dinner.  My husband and I thought it was delicious.  I served it with a simple green salad.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grass fed hot dogs that are cheddar and jalapeño from a local organic farm
I've never heard of grass-fed hotdogs (usually we're lucky to know what's even in them), but that sounds awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.