What's for dinner? - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have an enormous pot of spaghetti sauce, semi-homemade, simmering right now.  When it's done, I'll ladle in zip-lock bags in single servings and have about 12 meals ready to go.  I say semi-homemade because I used canned tomato sauce and paste, rather than starting with whole tomatoes.  
might you be willing to share your recipe......? i'd much rather make a homemade or semi-homemade spaghetti sauce, then buy the jar sauce from the grocery store. and, i really like the thought of cooking a large batch, and then freezing it in portions.

two slices of pepperoni pizza, some carrot/celery pieces with salad dressing as a dip, and 3 or 4 vanilla sandwich cookies. possibly a handful of mini pretzels too.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Pasta casserole, I make a lot of casseroles in winter because we always have leftovers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Grilled pork chops done on the indoor grill, with baked sweet potatoes.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

What do you put in your pasta casserole?
It's a recipe from a friend that is easy but tastes soooooooo good - shell or fusilli noodles (depending on your preference), ricotta cheese, 2 sauces (sun dried alfredo and garlic marinara), chopped onion, chopped red and green pepper, topped with parmesan cheese.  You can add crumbled Italian sausage but since I'm vegetarian I use Upton's seitan (also delicious, honestly you'd never know the difference). Goes great with salad and garlic bread. 

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

It's a recipe from a friend that is easy but tastes soooooooo good - shell or fusilli noodles (depending on your preference), ricotta cheese, 2 sauces (sun dried alfredo and garlic marinara), chopped onion, chopped red and green pepper, topped with parmesan cheese.  You can add crumbled Italian sausage but since I'm vegetarian I use Upton's seitan (also delicious, honestly you'd never know the difference). Goes great with salad and garlic bread. 
We're vegetarian too :)  Is this cooked in the oven?  (doesn't seem like a casserole?)  Either way it sounds good.   A great alternative to meat Italian sausage is Tofurkey Italian sausage - they have a pretty good spice mix. 

The thing we call "pasta casserole" (not a casserole lol) is a lot simpler:  PC Pasta sauce + medium shells + cottage cheese + basil & nutmeg - super fast & simple for those nights when you really don't want to cook.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

We're vegetarian too :)  Is this cooked in the oven?  (doesn't seem like a casserole?)  Either way it sounds good.   A great alternative to meat Italian sausage is Tofurkey Italian sausage - they have a pretty good spice mix. 
Yes, it is cooked in the oven either in a Pyrex glass pan or I still have my old CorningWare which has lasted forever.  I have had tofurkey but love 'Upton's Naturals' products especially since they are made right here in Chicago.  If you have a chance you should try their products and check out the website:  http://www.uptonsnaturals.com  Don't know if they have it where you live though.  

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yes, it is cooked in the oven either in a Pyrex glass pan or I still have my old CorningWare which has lasted forever.  I have had tofurkey but love 'Upton's Naturals' products especially since they are made right here in Chicago.  If you have a chance you should try their products and check out the website:  http://www.uptonsnaturals.com  Don't know if they have it where you live though.  
Upton's is just absurdly expensive here - at its cheapest it's almost double the price of Tofurky products ($4.99 496g vs $8.50 300g)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

Upton's is just absurdly expensive here - at its cheapest it's almost double the price of Tofurky products ($4.99 496g vs $8.50 300g)
Wow, I pay $3.99 here.  Come to Chicago! 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

might you be willing to share your recipe......? i'd much rather make a homemade or semi-homemade spaghetti sauce, then buy the jar sauce from the grocery store. and, i really like the thought of cooking a large batch, and then freezing it in portions.

two slices of pepperoni pizza, some carrot/celery pieces with salad dressing as a dip, and 3 or 4 vanilla sandwich cookies. possibly a handful of mini pretzels too.
Sure!  3 large cans of tomato sauce.  It comes in different flavors, so mix and match, if you want!  1 can of tomato paste.  1 onion, roughly chopped, 1 green bell pepper, the same.  I carrot, grated.  2 lbs ground meat.  Doesn't matter what kind, as long as you like it.  THIS time I used pork simply because I had been given a big package of it!  Sautee the onions and pepper in a large pot.  When the onions JUST begin to go translucent, add the carrots.  Continue cooking until onions and peppers are softened and onions are almost clear.  Brown the ground beef in a separate skillet, seasoning as desired. I also add basil, oregano and whatever else seems right at the time!  I use a Jamaican jerk seasoning.  It adds an odd kick to the sauce that I really like.  Drain meat, stir in the tomato paste and mix very well, then add to pot  Add salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste.  Pour in the first can of tomato sauce and stir to combine paste, meat, and veggies, then add the next two, mixing well.  Bring to a gentle simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally and adding small amounts of water as necessary.  Look, you can actually just heat the whole thing up and have it done in 30 minutes, but if you skip the long simmer, you're going to miss the best part, that subtle blending of flavors.

When I'm feeling really ambitious, and I have LOTS of extra money, I make it from fresh, whole tomatoes.  That's a labor of love since you have to dip them in boiling water to get the skins off, add the meat in raw,  simmer it for HOURS and HOURS, then add the veggies in about an hour before it's done.  Depending on how large a stock pot you are using,  it could take 12-16 hours to make.  LOL...used to be you could come to my house and find not one but TWO stockpots, one with tomato sauce, one with tomatoes for ketchup.  I made that at home, too, although I can't remember the recipe for it!

Tonight is a pork loin with green beans and new potatoes in a garlic-Parmesan sauces  I'll do the veggies for one night, but the loin will feed me for three or four!

Last edited:

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just finished making a quiche with black forest ham, swiss cheese, mushrooms and broccoli. Now for the dishes!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Just finished making a quiche with black forest ham, swiss cheese, mushrooms and broccoli. Now for the dishes!
Oh, wow, that sounds good. We love a good quiche.

Rick did those pork chops on the outdoor grill last night. We used Penzey Northwoods Seasoning on the chops and I made an onion-blue cheese sauce for them and they were delicious. It was nice to have something from the outdoor grill, too. It just doesn't taste the same on an indoor grill. (I had some blue cheese leftover from our dinner last weekend when I made those green beans with blue cheese. I
 blue cheese.)

Not sure about tonight. Maybe some chili from the freezer. And a couple of pumpkin crescent rolls, also from the freezer.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Homemade crab cakes done in the air fryer tonight. With some fries, also in the fryer. Dear Richard has been dying for crab cakes now for about a week. Every night when I'm making dinner, he'll ask me about crab cakes. So tonight's the night! Rick is the crab cake maker in the family. We'll pick up some crab at the store tonight and that will make him a happy camper....we usually just buy Phillips crab meat.

He loves crab cakes so much that I bought him a cookbook with nothing but different kinds of crab cakes. Appropriately enough, it's called I Love Crabcakes! 50 Recipes for an American Classic.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm trying to decide between the rest of the leftover pizza with a salad or chicken with brussels sprouts and spinach. I'm feeling lazy, so it may be the pizza.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's almost dinner time, and i'll have to decide between two fried eggs and 3 (small) pancakes with maple syrup, or two fried eggs and two pieces of toast with margarine and lemon jelly. it's gonna be a tough decision for me tonight......

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Veggie burger from the farmer's market with brussel sprouts.  

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Grilled chicken breasts with twice-baked russets. Green beans. 

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm trying to decide between the rest of the leftover pizza with a salad or chicken with brussels sprouts and spinach. I'm feeling lazy, so it may be the pizza.

Pizza was last night. chicken and veggies will be tonight. :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Already know it will be leftovers tonight, it's the end of my pasta casserole.  Will make a salad or vegetable to go with it and, of course, garlic bread.  

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no dinner for me last night; had a large glass of strawberry nesquik, then to bed early.

tonight will be two slices of pepperoni pizza, some mini pretzels, and the last of the vanilla pudding.

Status
Not open for further replies.