What's for dinner? - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I pulled out a small pork loin from the freezer. I really wanted to replicate on of my mom's easy but, one of my favorite meals.. just a pork loin with roasted potatoes and carrots in the same pan.. I even found one of my mom's old black with spots roaster..

With it being a small pork loin, just over 2 lbs..(boneless), I got some baby red potatoes, cutting them in half, and small chunks of carrots.. 

I guess I misjudged the cooking times on all.. The pork did come out dry.. the veggies cooked very fast.. I took them out. When the pork was cooked, I turned the broiler on, uncovered the pork loin, put the veggies back in, getting a nice brownness; however, the pork was overcooked... drat!!! 

But it is ok.. I will have some tomorrow. I may just roast some more veggies for tomorrow.. and just eat the pork cold.. 

The rest of the pork will be for salads.. and then, depending on how tired I am of it, I will either freeze some or trash it.. 

I do not know what is wrong with me. When my dad was alive, I was always cooking, and it came out really good.. now that it is just me, I have lost my touch... sigh....   buying things for one person does not work.. trying to cut my recipes in 1/3  or 1/4 do not help.. 

My freezer is not large enough to freeze everything I would cook.. I need a small separate freezer.. frost free.. hard to find.. I would not tempt the wiring in this building with that heavy an additional appliance...

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having a salad with ranch dressing. When I run out of the ranch dressing I'm going back to making my own dressing. Vinegar, water and olive oil. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I took two nice pork chops out of the freezer and will serve them with a BBQ sauce made with frozen cranberries. To be served with some vegetable rice and probably some artichoke hearts.

clmgordon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I roasted chix thighs in the oven with large chunks of potatoes, onions, and carrots. Seasoned with extra virgin olive oil, salt&pepper rosemary thyme and garlic.
The chix came out crispy, the veggies succulent and flavorful.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL...tuna salad AGAIN tonight!  I made a big batch of it while I was waiting for my cab to do my monthly shopping.  Yeah, the town that I live in is so small that sometimes ALL of the cabs are on out-of-town runs and you have to wait an hour (unless you call ahead and reserve).  SO, I had this time to use, and I knew I'd be wiped out after the expedition (a month's worth of groceries and personal and cat and household stuff is a LOT of shopping!), so I made things easy on myself!

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to make a chicken salad sandwich (Willow Tree) on dark bread, my favorite, lettuce, tomato, dill relish and cheese!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think tonight will be pork tenderloin with asparagus and green beans.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, I screwed up, so we're having pork chops again tonight. I wasn't thinking straight and somehow I ended up bringing up two packages of pork chops up from the freezer. I think I was thinking there was only one chop per package or something, I don't know. So it's chops again tonight and I'm going to do them in the air fryer. As Dear Richard said, it could be worse, could be chicken twice......then he would not be amused. Not sure about sides, other than something with sweet potatoes....maybe I'll slice them into planks and put them in the upper basket of the fryer.

We are really getting the hang of the air fryer and trying lots of new things!

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hot dogs with onions and cheese!  I went shopping!  
  I have a fridge full of food...pork chops, a loin, stew beef, chicken breasts, veggies to die for, and all I can think about are those hot dogs!  Root beer float for dessert.  

I'm weird about root beer.  I love it hot with a twist of lemon, and I love root beer floats, but I don't care for just a glass of it cold, at all.  Go figure.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm having a hot dog too, with mustard (no bun). also, some macaroni salad (lots of diced fresh veggies in it), a handful of mini pretzels, and a peanut butter brownie.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
DH requested my special pasta casserole with cheese garlic bread.  The house smells wonderful! 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

DH requested my special pasta casserole with cheese garlic bread.  The house smells wonderful! 
Yum

Sausage calzones tonight. I had made calzones a while back and froze some of them. We'll get three out of the freezer and throw them in the oven and I'll make some sauce for dipping. I love calzones. (I should probably try to nuke them and see how that works.)

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having stir fried tofu and kale with olive oil. It's my favorite meal and it's healthy and delicious. 

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had planned a chop with green beans and potatoes in a parm/garlic sauce, but I'm having a preview of vertigo season so I did a hot dot instead.  I can nuke it in 45 seconds which really lessens the chance of my falling over in the floor while cooking...never a good thing.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I had planned a chop with green beans and potatoes in a parm/garlic sauce, but I'm having a preview of vertigo season so I did a hot dot instead.  I can nuke it in 45 seconds which really lessens the chance of my falling over in the floor while cooking...never a good thing.
How do you make your parm/garlic sauce? I love garlic, green beans and potatoes. 

One time I was recovering from a rupture disc in my back and I was cooking dinner. Without any warning I just fell over backwards and landed flat on my back. It's funny but I didn't get hurt at all. I think it was the medication the doctor gave me. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I don't know. I'm really hungry for Chinese. 
 I don't see that happening. Maybe I'll throw together a pasta salad with tuna and fresh veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.