What's for dinner? - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Banquet frozen chicken pot pie

At 89¢, I'm sure it's loaded with more sodium than actual nutrients, but at least it tastes good!
when i was saving for my up-front costs when buying my house (mortgage), i ate a couple banquet pot pies for dinner pretty much every day. my lunches were a bit better/more substantial, but still inexpensive. i put together a hefty sum in a relatively short period of time doing that!

i'll reheat a serving of pork fried rice, and some orange jello for dinner tonight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
There's a recipe for mac and cheese that I want to try for dinner tonight. It really sounds delicious. So that's our dinner. And I'm thinking about some coleslaw to go with it.
That mac and cheese recipe is delicious! It's definitely a keeper. I will post it in The Exchange tomorrow. Definitely worth trying.

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Banquet frozen chicken pot pie

At 89¢, I'm sure it's loaded with more sodium than actual nutrients, but at least it tastes good!
Yeah, ate them way too many times to count! I also was an affciando on Ramen soups. At 29 cents, they were definetly cheap, but had so much salt in them that every time I took a bath, I kept wondering if I was gonna float in the water! LOL

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having a huge sandwich. 

The roast beef from the deli was rare!! my favorite!
I plan on roast beef, cheese, mustard, a few slices of Clausen refrigerator pickles on the sandwich, on a soft bulkie roll, and a bunch of chips....
Yum!

have not had a rare roast beef sandwich for a very long time!
IMG can I come to you for supper
And to see artie and you of course.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ate a cooked meal. Bravo to me. I went to my son and Did for supper.
Home made vegetabe soup.
Roast chicken, roast potatoes and roast sweet potatoes.
Rice.
Salads
And home made Tehina.

All very lovely. And a great change from sodium.

And lovely piece of cheese cake and snotty kiss from my youngest granddaughter.

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, ate them way too many times to count! I also was an affciando on Ramen soups. At 29 cents, they were definetly cheap, but had so much salt in them that every time I took a bath, I kept wondering if I was gonna float in the water! LOL :sunk:
Oh man, I have had so much Ramen lately. Tastes like pure sodium. :lol3:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh man, I have had so much Ramen lately. Tastes like pure sodium.
My trick for ramen? Open package. Remove sodium packet disguised as seasoning. Throw it out. Cook noodles in low sodium broth- chicken, vegetable, beef, etc depending on your preference. Add frozen veggies of your choice while noodles are cooking if you'd like. You can also throw in some leftover cooked meat if you have any or add a beaten egg while it's cooking to make it like an egg drop/noodle soup combo. Super easy, tasty, far less sodium and inexpensive.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My trick for ramen? Open package. Remove sodium packet disguised as seasoning. Throw it out. Cook noodles in low sodium broth- chicken, vegetable, beef, etc depending on your preference. Add frozen veggies of your choice while noodles are cooking if you'd like. You can also throw in some leftover cooked meat if you have any or add a beaten egg while it's cooking to make it like an egg drop/noodle soup combo. Super easy, tasty, far less sodium and inexpensive. :clap:
I like to make it with the egg :nod: I also like it with the sodium packet though :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We're having mac and cheese leftovers for lunch today. I don't know yet about tonight.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm on a bit of a pasta kick these days. I'm contemplating trying to make mac and cheese in my slow cooker, but a little concerned I'll end up with mush and cheese.  So may stick with the old fashioned stovetop/oven method. 

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like to make it with the egg
I also like it with the sodium packet though
I have heard that you can crunch the noodles up when they're dry, stick them in a microwave-safe bowl, put a small ice cube on the microwave dish, and cook the noodles up. You stop the microwave every 30-45 seconds, stir the noodles around, then cook some more. Do this several times until the noodles are to the cooked level that you desire. (the ice cube is for moisture to keep the microwave element from eventually burning up, I guess). I tried this about a week ago, and it's not bad. Sort of crunchy like potato chips. I guess you could put some of the seasoning on it before you cook 'em, most likely it would stay on the noodles as they cook.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I stocked in all kinds of food in anticipation of the storm. Aaron isn't feeling well so it is his choice. He is going with meatballs and sausage in spaghetti sauce over either zucchini noodles or pasta depending on how he feels later.

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have heard that you can crunch the noodles up when they're dry, stick them in a microwave-safe bowl, put a small ice cube on the microwave dish, and cook the noodles up. You stop the microwave every 30-45 seconds, stir the noodles around, then cook some more. Do this several times until the noodles are to the cooked level that you desire. (the ice cube is for moisture to keep the microwave element from eventually burning up, I guess). I tried this about a week ago, and it's not bad. Sort of crunchy like potato chips. I guess you could put some of the seasoning on it before you cook 'em, most likely it would stay on the noodles as they cook.
I always cook them in mug 'cause I'm too lazy to deal with the stove :lol3:
I fill the mug with water though, I don't use ice cubes.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever my husband picks up. We didn't get put to grocery shop today since I didn't feel like going with an eye patch and sore eye. Hopefully we can get out tomorrow.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chopped up some onions, sliced thin sausages. Fried onions then the sausages. Added a tin of crushed tomatoes and a small tomato paste seasoned and let it simmer and had it with spaghetti. Was very tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.