What's for dinner? - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But it's not healthy is it. Like boxed mac and cheese. The cheese isn't real cheese. It's all imitation really, not that I wouldn'teat it if I had the chance. Problem is I'd have to make the burger!!!!
Not really but it's quick, easy and most kids love it. it's perfect for a busy weekday dinner. Most people don't eat it all the time. I prefer the Velveeta Ultimate Cheeseburger Mac to the Hamburger Helper but it is good, too. it can be made with ground turkey or ground chicken also if that's your preference. i've made it with ground chicken in the past  and sometimes I add veggies to it like frozen peas, carrots and pearl onions. Yum. 

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Gluten free pasta and marinara sauce & Salad with Italian dressing ;)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really but it's quick, easy and most kids love it. it's perfect for a busy weekday dinner. Most people don't eat it all the time. I prefer the Velveeta Ultimate Cheeseburger Mac to the Hamburger Helper but it is good, too. it can be made with ground turkey or ground chicken also if that's your preference. i've made it with ground chicken in the past  and sometimes I add veggies to it like frozen peas, carrots and pearl onions. Yum. 

I must admit that I've never made a hamburger :-(

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has shrimp and andouille sausage. When my MIL makes it, she doesn't add a lot of spices because the sausage gives it just enough spice/heat to satisfy her. And she makes it good; we all love her recipe. I think you need the andouille sausage to make it the way it should be made.
Oh well. That's that then sigh.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh well. That's that then sigh.
I don't see why you couldn't use a spicy smoked chicken or turkey sausage. i guess it wouldn't be "authentic" but so what? It's not like you'd be entering it in a jambalaya cook off in New Orleans. You're just making it for yourself and it would probably be good. I say GO FOR IT!!!  

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see why you couldn't use a spicy smoked chicken or turkey sausage. i guess it wouldn't be "authentmightbut so what? It's not like you'd be entering it in a jambalaya cook off in New Orleans. You're just making it for yourself and it would probably be good. I say GO FOR IT!!!  :clap:
You will notice that we don't get as much goodies as you do. I shop in a supermarket and have never found.spicy sausage. I suppose if i travelled to a nearer town that has a butcher i might find something but as i don't drive, and have never eaten jambalaya in my 71 years I won't be missing too much if I don't eat it now.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well can't get it here.
Can't get tinned soups either which really pisses me off.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well can't get it here.
Can't get tinned soups either which really pisses me off.
Homemade Hamburger Helper

Print

Author:divas can cook

Recipe type:main, dinner,

Serves:6

Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey (sometimes I use only ½ lb)
  • ½ cup onions, diced
  • 1 tablespoon butter, optional
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup cold water
  • 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
  • ½ teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt or seasoning salt
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
  • ¾ teaspoon oregano
  • ¾ teaspoon parsley
  • ¾ garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

Instructions
  1. Brown ground meat in a skillet over medium heat until almost done.
  2. Add in onions and cook until tender.
  3. Drain meat & onions on paper towels and return to skillet.
  4. Add remaining ingredients except for the cheese.
  5. Stir to combine.
  6. Bring to a boil.
  7. Reduce heat, cover and cook until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
  8. * Do not over cook pasta. I usually taste check it at 9 minutes.
  9. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Sauce may be thin.
  10. Let pasta sit to thicken the sauce, meanwhile adjust seasonings if needed.
  11. Serve and enjoy.

Notes

~TIPS~ Use various cheeses if desired. Add taco seasonings for a chili-mac. Chopped tomatoes are good in this as well. Want veggies? Peas or broccoli works great ! Hot sauce anyone?

If you can't get elbow macaroni, any short pasta will do

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[quokeep sending me the saneame="Kat0121" url="/t/290275/whats-for-dinner-2015/1440#post_3842534"]I don't see why you couldn't use a spicy smoked chicken or turkey sausage. i guess it wouldn't be "authentic" but so what? It's not like you'd be entering it in a jambalaya cook off in New Orleans. You're just making it for yourself and it would probably be good. I say GO FOR IT!!!  :clap:
[/quote]

You keep sending me the same text!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
[quokeep sending me the saneame="Kat0121" url="/t/290275/whats-for-dinner-2015/1440#post_3842534"]I don't see why you couldn't use a spicy smoked chicken or turkey sausage. i guess it wouldn't be "authentic" but so what? It's not like you'd be entering it in a jambalaya cook off in New Orleans. You're just making it for yourself and it would probably be good. I say GO FOR IT!!!  
You keep sending me the same text![/quote]
are you re- reading the same update again? I checked the thread. It's only on there once. The lat thing I posted was a recipe for homemade cheeseburger macaroni

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But it's not healthy is it. Like boxed mac and cheese. The cheese isn't real cheese. It's all imitation really, not that I wouldn'teat it if I had the chance. Problem is I'd have to make the burger!!!!
Lol... no boxed food isn't really healthy any way. I add my own cheese I never use the packet cheese crap. Even in homemade mac & cheese we don't use the packet.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
are you re- reading the same update again? I checked the thread. It's only on there once. The lat thing I posted was a recipe for homemade cheeseburger macaroni
Didn't get it. Just the same message all the time.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol... no boxed food isn't really healthy any way. I add my own cheese I never use the packet cheese crap. Even in homemade mac & cheese we don't use the packet.
About 30 years ago we could get the packet mac and cheese, then they stopped bringing it.
If you've made home made mac and cheese, where does the packet cheese come from?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking of spaghetti tonight. Took some pasta sauce out of the freezer last night to thaw in the fridge.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a turkey cooking right now. Its not for a big turkey dinner, but we will have hot turkey sandwiches tonight and I will make soup with the bones at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.