What's for dinner? - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night we had Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Macaroni. Yum. It's the only boxed/package meal we ever eat, other than DH's gross obsession with Cup-O-Noodles- all that sodium is going to kill him one day. The HHCM is so tasty. I get a craving for it about twice a month and can think of nothing else untill I eat some. In the past, we tried a couple of the other HH flavors, but found them to be pretty nasty.
Tonight, I am making a whole chicken in the crockpot with gravy, with mashed potatoes and carrots on the side.
That was a friends favorite. He even had it at his informal wedding reception.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's 'chicken, now there's a surprise'.
If you pay attention you'll notice that 97% of the time I eat chicken. Sorry to have bamboozled you.
Chicken is so good and so versatile. Why not eat it a lot? I love a whole roasted chicken. That's my favorite. YUM. 

Maybe some frozen pizza tonight. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Chicken is so good and so versatile. Why not eat it a lot? I love a whole roasted chicken. That's my favorite. YUM. 

Maybe some frozen pizza tonight. 
It really is. We cook boneless, skinless breasts most often, but sometimes I'll roast a whole chicken, just to have it cooked for future meals.

My MIL just called. She and her helper made Jambalaya this morning and she offered us some for dinner. We won't have it tonight, but I will stop and pick it up and we'll have it for dinner on Thursday.

She has a whole chicken in her freezer and it needs to be used before the end of October. She asked me if I'd roast it for her and I can do that. She said she's hungry for BBQ chicken pizza. Well, I have some cooked chicken in the freezer that should be used soon, so I'll get it out Friday night to thaw in the fridge. While I'm at it, I'll get out some barbecue sauce that I made earlier this summer and we can use that, too. She's coming down for dinner on Sunday after church and we're having BBQ chicken pizza. I will try a sourdough pizza crust and see how that turns out. But during the summer, I usually grill my home made pizza, so we'll grill the BBQ chicken pizza on Sunday.Just a simple salad to go with and maybe some cupcakes for a bit of dessert. 

There will be some chicken leftover, so I can throw together two small quick deep-dish chicken pot pies, too, on Sunday. After they're baked and cooled, I can give one to her as well for a quick dinner some night next week. When I roast her whole chicken, there's a recipe that I want to try. I don't remember if it's from Cook's Country or America's Test Kitchen, but it's for a roasted chicken that you just make in a large frying pan on top of the stove. You use Italian bread cubes for a stuffing, lay the cubes in the pan with seasonings and such, and flop the chicken on top of the stuffing in the pan, and cook it that way. It's been on my mind ever since I saw the technique and I'd like to try it. I told her about it and she said it sounds interesting, so we'll use her chicken for that recipe. She's pretty easy-going and she'll eat whatever I make. 

We eat a lot of chicken. 

ETA:  Here's the recipe I want to try....it is from Cook's Country.....

Skillet-­Roasted Chicken and Stuffing  (Cook's Country)

4 ­pound whole chicken, giblets discarded

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 tablespoons minced fresh sage

2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme

Salt and pepper

2 onions, chopped fine

2 celery ribs, minced

7 ounces Italian bread, cut into ½ ­inch cubes (6 cups)

1/3 cup low­ sodium chicken broth

1. Adjust oven rack to lower­ middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in small bowl in microwave, about 45 seconds. Stir in 1 tablespoon sage, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Brush chicken with herb butter.

2. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in 12­inch oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add onions, celery, ½ ­ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add remaining 1 tablespoon sage and remaining 1 tablespoon thyme and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Off heat, place chicken, breast side up, on top of vegetables. Arrange bread cubes around chicken in bottom of skillet.

3. Transfer skillet to oven and roast until breasts register 160 degrees and thighs register 175 degrees, about 1 hour, rotating skillet halfway through roasting.

4. Carefully transfer chicken to plate and tent loosely with aluminum foil. Holding skillet handle with potholder (handle will be hot), stir bread and vegetables to combine, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes.

5. Add broth and any accumulated chicken juice from plate and cavity to skillet and stir to combine. Warm stuffing, uncovered, over low heat until heated through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit while carving chicken. Transfer chicken to carving board, carve, and serve with stuffing.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Probably a slice of mall pizza. We're going to Lowes tonight for more crown moulding, so will probably stop in at the mall for a quick bite.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night we had Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Macaroni. Yum. It's the only boxed/package meal we ever eat, other than DH's gross obsession with Cup-O-Noodles- all that sodium is going to kill him one day. The HHCM is so tasty. I get a craving for it about twice a month and can think of nothing else untill I eat some. In the past, we tried a couple of the other HH flavors, but found them to be pretty nasty.

Tonight, I am making a whole chicken in the crockpot with gravy, with mashed potatoes and carrots on the side.
Hamburger Helper is our dinner tonight. I usually buy 3 cheese manicotti but decided to get the cheeseburger one this time.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken, rice, potatoes and carrots.

Last night I went out with my daughter for mini hamburgers, lovely fries and battered onion rings.
Then we went to an old school friend of hers who was like a second daughter. I had a slice of to die for cream cake, the recipe apparently was mine in the good old days, and a very nice cup of ice coffee. A lovely evening.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well with my husband being in the hospital they do have Subway here if I choose to eat it. That's the good news.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure yet. I'm going to a place called scream park and a masquerade ball tonight and we will pick something up on the way.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Winchester    -- that skillet-roasted chicken and stuffing recipe sounds like it would be great! i'll have to try the recipe.

@dejolane    -- i used to go to subway sometimes. i really liked that you can have them add all the veggies you want (at no extra cost), and i'd tell them to 'load it up' with veggies. i'd end up eating some of the veggies as a side with the sub.

i'll be heating up some pasta with spaghetti sauce for my dinner this evening, will add some grated parmesan cheese over the top.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, brussels, cranberry sauce . Yummy pink grapefruit slices for dessert (good palate cleanser), rice pudding, then a nap, got up at 6 and worked until 3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.