What's for dinner? - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made chicken in a sauce (bbq sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and Italian salad dressing) and we had it on a bun with coleslaw.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are having club sandwiches and Greek salad. We went to the farmers market today and got lots of fresh veggies.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A sort of large savoury thing in flaky pastry with a hard boiled egg and a corn on the cob.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a knish?  something similar to this --

i really like knishes. there are so many fillings that can be used in them.

i'll heat up some of the beef roast with carrots and potatoes for my dinner.
It's been so long i don't really remember what knishes are. I'll have to ask my sister. It was more north African though.
Your meal sounds nice.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been so long i don't really remember what knishes are. I'll have to ask my sister. It was more north African though.
Your meal sounds nice.
that sounds interesting! i've noticed that many countries/cultures have these pastry/dough and filling type recipes.

i have one recipe i make on a regular basis which is really a combination of two recipes, and is for dough and filling things which i call 'runzas'. mine have some cream cheese and butter (real butter) mixed together with cooked, diced/chopped chicken and i add some caraway seeds (i love caraway seeds). i use my bread (making) machine to make a basic bread dough, then split the dough into two balls on a floured surface. i press out/flatten each dough ball into circles (about 8+ inches in diameter), then slice it like i would a pie into six slices each. that gives me 12 triangular shaped pieces of dough. i take each dough triangle and press it out/flatten it a bit before adding the filling to it -- because the bread dough is stretchy and will tend to scrinch back up. i take a good spoonful of filling and plop it on the center of the dough triangle, then grab the three corners of the dough and pull upward and together, so the tips of the corners meet at the top. hold the corners and pinch them together, then (still holding the top) pinch together the edges firmly. i set each runza on a lightly oiled baking sheet as i get them ready. then i use an egg wash, egg white mixed with just a very small amount of water, to brush over the tops and sides of them all -- helps keep the seams from popping open as much and gives them a lovely golden brown color when baked. i sprinkle more caraway seeds over the egg wash on the tops, then bake them. these can be eaten hot, cold, or warmed up again. i save the extra egg yolk (from making the egg wash) and add it to my fried eggs the next morning. you can also use store bought frozen or fresh bread dough.

thank you! i'll have some banana cream pudding for my dessert tonight.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that sounds interesting! i've noticed that many countries/cultures have these pastry/dough and filling type recipes.

i have one recipe i make on a regular basis which is really a combination of two recipes, and is for dough and filling things which i call 'runzas'. mine have some cream cheese and butter (real butter) mixed together with cooked, diced/chopped chicken and i add some caraway seeds (i love caraway seeds). i use my bread (making) machine to make a basic bread dough, then split the dough into two balls on a floured surface. i press out/flatten each dough ball into circles (about 8+ inches in diameter), then slice it like i would a pie into six slices each. that gives me 12 triangular shaped pieces of dough. i take each dough triangle and press it out/flatten it a bit before adding the filling to it -- because the bread dough is stretchy and will tend to scrinch back up. i take a good spoonful of filling and plop it on the center of the dough triangle, then grab the three corners of the dough and pull upward and together, so the tips of the corners meet at the top. hold the corners and pinch them together, then (still holding the top) pinch together the edges firmly. i set each runza on a lightly oiled baking sheet as i get them ready. then i use an egg wash, egg white mixed with just a very small amount of water, to brush over the tops and sides of them all -- helps keep the seams from popping open as much and gives them a lovely golden brown color when baked. i sprinkle more caraway seeds over the egg wash on the tops, then bake them. these can be eaten hot, cold, or warmed up again. i save the extra egg yolk (from making the egg wash) and add it to my fried eggs the next morning. you can also use store bought frozen or fresh bread dough.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I will make something with ground beef tonight but I'm not sure what yet.

Last night, we had chicken picata and scalloped potatoes. It was yummy.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

more beef roast with carrots and potatoes.
Roast beef sounds very delicious now.  I had a pizza under the broiler made on a flaxseed flatbread, sauce, feta cheese, green peppers, mozzarella. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i have one recipe i make on a regular basis which is really a combination of two recipes, and is for dough and filling things which i call 'runzas'. mine have some cream cheese and butter (real butter) mixed together with cooked, diced/chopped chicken and i add some caraway seeds (i love caraway seeds). i use my bread (making) machine to makea basic bread dough, then split the dough into two balls on a floured surface. i press out/flatten each dough ball into circles (about 8+ inches in diameter), then slice it like i would a pie into six slices each. that gives me 12 triangular shaped pieces of dough. i take each dough triangle and press it out/flatten it a bit before adding the filling to it -- because the bread dough is stretchy and will tend to scrinch back up. i take a good spoonful of filling and plop it on the center of the dough triangle, then grab the three corners of the dough and pull upward and together, so the tips of the corners meet at the top. hold the corners and pinch them together, then (still holding the top) pinch together the edges firmly. i set each runza on a lightly oiled baking sheet as i get them ready. then i use an egg wash, egg white mixed with just a very small amount of water, to brush over the tops and sides of them all -- helps keep the seams from popping open as much and gives them a lovely golden brown color when baked. i sprinkle more caraway seeds over the egg wash on the tops, then bake them. these can be eaten hot, cold, or warmed up again. i save the extra egg yolk (from making the egg wash) and add it to my fried eggs the next morning. you can also use store bought frozen or fresh bread dough.

Much to complicated and too much work for lazy old me.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I will make something with ground beef tonight but I'm not sure what yet.

Last night, we had chicken picata and scalloped potatoes. It was yummy.
my daughtertakes minced meat, seasons it etc and rolls

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my daughtertakes minced meat, seasons it etc and rolls
That sounds good. I ended up just making sloppy Joe's and roasted potatoes. Aimee had noodles, Hudson had some noodles, potatoes and a bit of the sloppy Joe meat. My almost 8 month old eats more than my 2.5 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.