TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Black House by Stephen King trying to get into it,

subee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am currently on the fourth volumne of nine by Robert Jordan of The Wheel Of Time. This one is The Shadow Rising. I have read this whole set once already but it has been a year or more so I started them over. For those who don't know he is a fantasy writer. His books are deliciously thick and detailed. I relate to the characters. Basic good against evil plots.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE the Wheel of Time books! Nice to know there is someone else out there besides me who is crazy enough to read them more than once! I've read them through three times now....

Great minds think alike, Subee. I also describe myself as a "voracious reader"

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oava,
have you read "the talisman" yet?
it's not totally necessary, but it does help "black house" make a bit more sense!!

subee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! You are the first person I have ever met who reads books over and over. I find it very comforting to reread a good one. I have read the Lord of the Rings trilogy at least 10 times and am sure I will read it 10 more. I have yet to see any of the movies. Have you? My name is Sue also! We have so much in common.

oava

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by stormy
oava,
have you read "the talisman" yet?
it's not totally necessary, but it does help "black house" make a bit more sense!!
Yes I did, It was okay, The 2 authors I did'nt like. I could always tell where King started and Straub began.
Don't get me wrong, I'am a big fan of both, read all there books. I just don't think they do well together. What did you think of there team effort?

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oava,
i enjoyed "the talisman" very much, i think i read it about 3 times!!
i too could tell where each author was taking over, but it all fit together well (for me anyway!
)

i am a big stephen king fan, peter straub is good too, but he's not one of my top favs.

mom of 10 cat and subee,

i too will read a book quite a few times if i really enjoy it. i think the one i've read most often is "the stand" by stephen king.
i read that 5 times so far and will probably read it again!!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will read my favourite books over and over - especially "Boy's Life" which is my very favourite book.

oava

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My all time favorite is Salems lot. so well written. My daugther really enjoyed the Tailsman, alot more than I did.She read it in 24 hrs.
I also like the Dead Zone.

suzy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Subee
Wow! You are the first person I have ever met who reads books over and over. I find it very comforting to reread a good one. I have read the Lord of the Rings trilogy at least 10 times and am sure I will read it 10 more. I have yet to see any of the movies. Have you? My name is Sue also! We have so much in common.
I will also read books over and over, which is one reason I buy a lot of books - I know I will read most of them more than once. And my name is Susan....maybe it goes with the name.

I have been too busy to get any reading done for a few weeks - I am going to read The Poisonwood Bible over the holidays for the TCS book club. Then I don't know what next for sure - I have a few reserved at the library, I might wait for one of those, or might just buy myself The DaVince Code for Christmas!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stardust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also read books over and over if they are really good ones.
Like I've read the Clan of the Cave bear series more times
then I can count lol

The Talisman, Black House, Hearts in atlantis and even Salems Lot
go along with the Dark Tower series. They aren't required reading
to understand the Dark Tower books but it fills in some gaps and
makes the story lines a little better.

I'm reading the Wolves of the Calla right now and really like it
so far. Song of Suzanna the 6th book is supposed to come out in
the Spring of 2004 and around Nov. the Last book I heard
was going to come out.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the Clan of the Cave Bear series, too! Jean Auel is supposed to be working on the final book in the series, no word on when it is due for publication. Looking forward to it!

I also like fantasy anthologies, especially the Sword and Sorceress and Catfantastic ones.

subee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I too have read all the Clan series many times.
Have you ever read Wizard and/or Titan?

lynx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now I'm being very undisciplined and I'm reading several books at once. I usually like to read one at a time. The Illuminatus Trilogy just isn't holding me though. It's about conspiracies and secret society etc and it jumps around a lot in an attempt to be quirky or something. I can't recall the name of the authors. It's not sitting well, and it's rather long. But I've thrown so many hours of my life in to this book that I can't NOT finish it.

I'm also reading Foundation by Isaac Asimov. It's my first book by this author who has come highly recommended to me by several people. At first I thought that his writing style was a little bit weak, but the plot is knitting together nicely now and I think that this series may turn out to be quite entertaining.

I'm also finishing off a book of two novelettes by Alastair Reynolds, called Diamond Dogs/Turquoise Days. They were pretty good for a quick read. But I think that Reynolds strength lies in longer more intricate plots. His book Revelation Space was really good and I'd recommend it to any Science Fiction fan. Also the two novels which follow it which make a loosely grouped trilogy, Chasm City and Redemption Ark.

But when I finish off these books I'm going back to my favourite series of all time for a reread. I'm talking (OF COURSE) about Frank Herbert's Dune Chronicles. My introduction to the Dune universe was through the prequels written by Frank Herbert's son, and a co-author. I enjoyed them in a casual, fun kind of way. But I wasn't expecting to be so completely taken by the series proper. Frank Herbert just blows my mind. I have another of the prequel books written by his son which I haven't gotten around to yet. But now they just seem like blasphemy. He's totally trying to cash in on his father's name. Talk about the mediocre riding the coatails of a genius!

suzy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so jealous of everyone - I have had NO time to read in the last several weeks! I still need to read The Poisonwood Bible for the TCS book club - I have it out from the library, but haven't started. Hopefully this holiday I can get it read!

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally finished Blackwood Farm- after reading the last two chapters agonizingly slow to prolong the inevitable
I'm so glad the characters come back in The Blood Canticle (which Santa did NOT bring me for Christmas
)

I'm re-reading Merrick for the time being, to bide my time until I can pick up Blood Canticle. I'll probably re-read Blood and Gold as well. Its my new goal to get all the Vampire Chronicles in hardcover

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am reading The Colour Purple - finally. I finally got to see the movie last week on hbo and I really liked it, so I decided to get the book out.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've recently finished reading "diary" by chuck palahnuik. that was a pretty good book, although it takes a bit to get into it.

now i am almost finished "big bad wolf" by james patterson, it's the latest alex cross novel and good like all of the others in that series!!

fluffy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just finished Girl With A Pearl Earring (*very good read) I'm now reading Good In bed (a novel).

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lynx, I've read the Illuminatus Trilogy. It is confusing at times, but all in all, it's a great yarn.

I am now searching online for the History of Middle Earth books by Tolkien (basically loads of unfinished tales and background info for his works) at decent prices. I cannot afford 12 books in hardcover at full price! Ebay, here I come!