What work do you do? Is it what you thought you'd do?

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in School becoming a vet tech.......

I never ever dreamed of doing something in animal care.........

untill about 6 months ago i was going to do something in psyche....and i had wanted to do psyche my whole life.....but then one day Johns mom said..."youre so good with animals..why not do something with them"

and bam.....my path changed...sometimes lifes funny like that

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well...I am a receptionist at a real estate office. Just there until I finish school in May...

then I will teach elementary school. I also plan to have my real estate license as well so I can do real estate on the side since I know plenty of it after working there...WOW! 3 years ago today!...I just realized I've been there 3 years!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope..my whole journey has been one big surprise. Swore I'd never be a nurse, if I went into medicine I'd be a doctor, expected after college to do something with my poetry and writing skills or to perhaps finally pursue my love of sculpting. Ended up in nursing school in my late 20's after wandering the country a bit (waitressing, home health care ----> which I loved, waitressing I hated).

Worked 13 years as an RN, 12 of them in high risk labor and delivery, doing antepartum care, labor and delivery, recovery, scrub nurse etc.

Now I have my own business, which I adore, which grew out of my love of cats and the time I spent showing them during my free time during those 13 years of nursing (many of them night shift--->12 hour night shift).

Still want to get back to the sculpting at some point

luvmysphynx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a Loss Prevention/Collections Manager at a Federal Credit Union......there is no way when I was 10, I said "when I grow up I want to be a bill collector and repo peoples cars".
I started working in the industry when I was 17....that was a long time ago!

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently a freelance marketing/PR professional, working with small to midsize arts groups, mostly theatres. Currently client-less since I am in my last year of graduate school and am going to be doing a marketing internship with one of the major theatres here. I'm also going to start working a retail job soon at a cosmetics store for "fun money", since I'm not taking on any freelance work at the moment.
I always knew I would be working in some capacity in the theatre, but I didn't picture myself doing marketing since I didn't really even know what it was until about 5 years ago!

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a Tumour Bank Officer at a Medical Research facility. I collect cancerous tissue and tumour samples to be stored for future medical use. Get to go and see some pretty cool surgeries! The brain ones are always fun.

I always thought I would be a marine biologist!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a free-lance writer and a partner in several websites. I mainly write content for websites at the moment and I love what I do. I also rescue abused animals-

I thought I would grow up and be a veterinarian or a horse rancher

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a Pediatric Nurse. I always wanted to be a Dr. of animals or people, so this isn't very far off. Once I was in nursing, though, I never thought I would go into Pediatrics. I was planning to a be Nurse Midwife. I adore what I do now!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am married to a preacher. No I never thought that when I was growing up.
It is very rewarding, but hard at times.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm an office manager. Well, a bored office manager, but I don't hate it. I was a project manager for insurance repair. I have bartended and waitressed most of my life. I had a love/hate relationship with that. I went to school for Human Services, but found that the red tape was so thick that you could rarely help anyone. I thought when I was a kid I'd work with animals, but didn't know how to go about it. I should have figured it out. If I tried now, it would be a long time before I could match my rate of pay and benefits. Wah! At least I have a job.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a recruiter specializing in search and placement of Executive and Senior Admin Assistants. I handle the entire state of Washington for our company, as we have 7 branches in various cities. I love what I do, being a former EA myself, but I never thought I would end up as a professional recruiter in the staffing industry. Heck no, I wanted to be a Trapeze Girl in the circus since I was about 6.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i am a teacher. i originally planned to be a doctor, but i'm allergic to to many chemicals - formaldehyde [pretty much prevents any dissection] & others - sneezed my way through a chem lab once. so i quit & went to a trade school & was a travel agent for 15 years. then i went back to college & got my degree & have been teaching for 11 years.

amandaofcols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a receptionist for a Home Security company and I HATE hate hate it!!
I stay bored all the time and I feel like my brain is turning to mush because I never have to use it!
I've always wanted to go into something dealing with animals, but never really knew what. I really want to do something with Conservation and rehabilitation, but there's no money in it (that I know of) and i have a house payment to make!! Still trying to look for a way into the animal world though, so any ideas or suggestions, please feel free to send em my way!

erinandseamus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was a soldier, then a waitress, cartographer briefly, and ended up in Kosovo for two years doing surveillance.

Now I don't work and am applying to grad school to get my masters in International Relations.

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved Math in high school, and started first year university as a pure math major. Then fell in love with geography and anthropology, and went on to get a degree in geography, and did a couple of years of graduate work in that field. I was intending to become a geography professor.

Now I am an art dealer, and own my own gallery.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work as staff for a medical association. I work with the volunteer doctors who are the leaders of the organization. My job involves planning meetings and social events, helping keep them on track, training new volunteers, and pretty much doing whatever else needs to get done to help them out. I studied theater and dance in college, so no way did I ever think this was where I'd end up. I love my job, though (usually). My favorite thing is that it changes constantly. Every year the doctors I work with change, and what I'm doing from day to day changes. One day I could be planning a formal dinner for 100 people, the next I'm packing boxes to ship to a meeting, the next I'm writing a strategic plan. I'm fortunate in that most of the doctors and other staff I work with are really, really nice people.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well first I wanted to be an accountant b/c I was good at math. Then I realized, around 9th or 10th grade that it was boring, and I wasn't super good at it. A teacher I respected that year changed my interest to social studies. I then realized I wanted to help people, and around 10th grade decided I wanted to be a social work. I studied psych and soc in HS, and majored in Sociology in college w/ a minor in women's studies. I interned at a women's shelter in a city, and eventually got a job as a case manager, working with elders in need of home care services to remain at home. I loved that job, although it was stressful and didn't pay well. I got used to disgusting homes, death and the sad realities of some people's lives. I also had many rewarding experiences with my clients. After over 3 years, I had the opportunity to get a state job paying twice the money. I now work in the court system, and my job is to recommend to the judge in court how much bail defendants should have, and any conditions of release, as well as monitor those conditions. It's sort of like being a probation officer, but the person is not convicted of the crime yet. I try my best to help the young kids that are starting a life of addiction and crime.

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i always wanted to be an artist, iv'e never been interested in office work, my husband is though

now i'm a pet portrait artist and even have my own website, plus i'm getting a few orders too

felicia

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

I`m a wife, mother (although the kids are grown, have grandkids and am about to become a GREAT grandma) and homemaker......Just what I always really wanted to be. (Unless you count that for awhile when I was a kid I thought I`d like to be a ballernia or a clown.)
I love to wallpaper, sew, flower garden and stamp. Guess I`m a lot like my grandmother when she would say that she was a "Jack of all trades and a master of none"......keeps life intresting rather than getting bored doing the same old thing everyday.I would`nt trade it for anything else!
That's my second job (without the kids) and i love it