What Weird Things Were You Afraid Of As A Child?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

Ryan! You always come up with the most provactive questions~~

I was scared of tigers in my closet until I was about six. I had a boyfriend at that time - yah, at age 6? and his name was John Cloonis (I hope he isn't on the cat site after all these years!
) and he dragged me in there when we were playing gypsies and pirates. I made him kiss me and then there were no more tigers! I have no clue what the connection was.....no clue.
LOLOLOLOL!!!! That is so funny and cute!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Heidi - you really should see Donnie Darko, its a great movie! I won' tell what its about or what happens so you can find out for yourself.
Now that THREE of you have said my childhood fears are right there in the movie...I don't know if I want to.
Might bring back bad memories....

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clowns, I still don't really care for them, in fact.
it's funny how something made to make kids smile gives them the jeebies instead, i don't think iv'e met one kid who truly thinks clowns are funny

as for movies, i accidently walked in on my parents watching the gremlins, i used to get scared that if mum fed our cat chicken it would turn nasty like the gremlins did on the movie, i can still remember how those gooey pods looked on the stares

felicia

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was, and still am, absolutely terrified of wasps. Those creepy little bodies... those funky little wings.... EHH!

georgiagirl8

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't normally admit this but when I was a child "The Wizard of Oz" terrified me! It gave me nightmares. I like it now and am no longer afraid of it
. Speaking of childhood - embarrassing confession - when I was very little I used to think that there were tiny people inside of the radio and that was where the voices were coming from
. Of course I grew out of that too - thank God!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've thought of another one, when I went up to my Nana's in Taranaki she always used to take me to a swimming pool but I always used to hate going there because there were painted sharks on the bottom and I always thought they were real.
I used to hate going in. Why didn't we tell our Parents all these things? but instead we lived in fear.

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was, and still am, absolutely terrified of wasps. Those creepy little bodies... those funky little wings.... EHH!
i was a little scared of wasps when i was a child but i'm a lot worse now, i can't stand bee's wasps and especially the monsterous hornet

i was collecting firewood with my husband when a huge hornet chased me, i guess it could sense my fear, i swear i nearly passed out from the fear of having it chase me, everyone tells me to stay calm and they won't fly after me anymore....easy enough for them to say, if i see a hornet or wasp i'm out there

i think my worst experience was this one time when i went to hang the washing out, as i went to open the screen door to the laundry i saw about twenty of them just sitting on the screen trying to keep cool from the air con, my whole body went shivery and felt sick

felicia

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand the hornet thing. I'm not worried about wasps or bees, but hornets are just pure evil with wings

shem

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about this and I remember another thing that I was scared of. I used to live near a mine workings (disused) and there was this huge building that used to creak really loudly when the wind was up. Now my mum is a massive Meat Loaf fan and you know the cover of the Bat Out Of Hell album well that really freaked me out. Well as time went on.. I used to think that that very bat used to live in the huge building!! I started to have nightmares every night about this bat living in this building so much so that I was waking up screaming. After a while this building was knocked down and I never had that dream again!!

moxymom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, this isn't necessarily a "weird" fear but considering my current lifestyle and where I'm posting it, I can't help but laugh at it.

My entire life, I have been utterly and completely TERRIFIED of CATS!!!

I know, it's bizarre, heck, I have 5 cats now

The story behind it (though I obviously don't remember)....

My mom and dad had a cat (Nelson) who, as I've been told by multiple people, was about the most miserable cat you'd ever meet. I was born and that just ticked him off to no end. His solution? To jump into my crib when I was about 2 weeks old and claw the living daylights out of me. To this day I have keloid scarring from it and I'm almost 30!

So, you ask, why do I have 5 cats?

We desperately wanted a family pet. Dogs were out of the question for 2 reasons. My son is deathly allergic to...ummm...hairy dogs or furry....I don't know which (poodles are fine, beagles would kill him). Second, a dog needs a lot of space to run around and play or a couple of good walks a day and with our schedules, we didn't feel we'd be able to provide that.

So, *we* (mostly him and the kids) decided on a cat. I figured, what better way to address your fears then to jump in head first LOL.

But then we wound up adopting 2 cats ROFL. And then one of them brought us 3 more ROFL some more.

So I've gone from a screaming, crying, puddling mess around cats to someone who cuddles, plays and dotes on them!

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

We had a vacation house out at the Colorado River, which is the border between California and Arizona. I had no problem with swimming until I saw the weeds that grow from the bottom. I've never liked them and always avoided them. I think deep down, I thought something was going to grab me from inside the weeds. That is why I didn't start skiing until I was about 12-13 years old. To this day, I still don't like seeing weeds in the water, but I deal with it now.
Ooohh I hate going in water that doesnt have a clear sandy bottom!! FREAKS ME OUT!!
Lakes with spongy, weedy bottoms and murky water are worst... I always think I'm stepping on a body or something ever since my cousin told me that there was a dead cow at the bottom of a dam we were swimming in
I remember I was about 9, the bottom of the dam was all spongy with algae and it felt just like I imagined stepping on a dead slimy cow would. He was lying but it scarred me for life!!

It probably doesnt help that I love shows like CSI..

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pandybear

i was a little scared of wasps when i was a child but i'm a lot worse now, i can't stand bee's wasps and especially the monsterous hornet

i was collecting firewood with my husband when a huge hornet chased me, i guess it could sense my fear, i swear i nearly passed out from the fear of having it chase me, everyone tells me to stay calm and they won't fly after me anymore....easy enough for them to say, if i see a hornet or wasp i'm out there

i think my worst experience was this one time when i went to hang the washing out, as i went to open the screen door to the laundry i saw about twenty of them just sitting on the screen trying to keep cool from the air con, my whole body went shivery and felt sick

felicia
Yeah... people tell me that too. But I just can't. They scare me! Don't know why, but they do!
My worst expirience was I was walking back from my aunt's house, next door, and she NEVER mowed her lawn...
..... anyway, I hear this BZZZZZZZZ.... and I looked over, and there's this WOOD WASP the size of a baseball HOVERING up!!! Oooo! I have never ran so fast in my life!

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to REFUSE to sleep at nites until I covered my ears with a blanket then I could sleep!
Meaning only my face would show with everything else wrapped up in blankets!

The reason was I believed if I left my ears bare, that a murderer would sneak into my room, wake me up and make me watch as he slowly cut my ears off while grinning his head off!
I have NO IDEA where I got that weird idea but I couldn't overcome that fear until in my late 20's!

The weird thing is why would I be afraid of losing my ears when I am DEAF!?!

Happy to say that I can sleep now without any blanket covering my ears!