What Weird Things Were You Afraid Of As A Child?

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid I was totally afraid that one of the baby aliens from the movie Aliens would try to implant something down my throat. I always slept with my covers over my mouth, and apparently I still do this! Speaking of Stephan King, I was also afraid of those monkies with the clanging cymbols. I even had one as a toy that I locked up in my closet at night. I was also afraid that some little gremlin creature would try to steal my breath at night and worry because I didn't have a cat to protect me from it. I can't remember what Stephen King movie/book that was from though- it was a collection of shorts.

My brother and I were also terrified of this one particular bed that apparently everyone in the family had nightmares when they slept in it.

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nuclear war (I only recently got to see the movie "The Day After" because my mother wouldn't let me watch it in the 80's when it aired!)

For a little while I was afraid of ants, after seeing some cheesy 70's giant-ants-take-over-the-world movie

We lived near a semi-main road and the cars going by at night sounded like something outside my window breathing. I was convinced that's what it was, and I was afraid of "it".

And very large spiders. You know, the kind that are big enough you can send them down to the store for a quart of milk. The kind that cast their own shadows. Still am actually -- I've been known to call the exterminator for one darn spider

I was also afraid that some little gremlin creature would try to steal my breath at night and worry because I didn't have a cat to protect me from it. I can't remember what Stephen King movie/book that was from though- it was a collection of shorts.
I think it was in "Night Shift" ? I used to love his stuff

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Valanhb

I think I just had a psychotic imagination as a child.

When I had my bedroom upstairs with the closet, when the lights turned off there were demon bunnies - 6 foot tall demon bunnies! - in the closet. The door had to be shut or I couldn't sleep.

When I had my bedroom downstairs (no closet), I was sure there were snarling, drooling wolves under my bed. When I turned off the light (on the far side of the room of course!) I could make the bed in three leaps.

Oh yeah, and I was quite sure that the mirror in the bathroom was a 2-way mirror. I don't know how the people watching got into the MIDDLE of the house, but they were there.
Sound RIGHT out of Donnie Darko -- it's a movie, and a pretty darn good one! And he finds out what his 6 foot tall demon bunny means (who happens to appear in a two-way mirror at one point)...

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Amy-DHH

You know, the kind that are big enough you can send them down to the store for a quart of milk. ...
Good thing I wasn't drinking anything, Amy -- my monitor and keyboard would have been wearing it!

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything, Amy -- my monitor and keyboard would have been wearing it!
hehehehehe

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I presume most of you have seen Nightmare on Elm Street? There's a part where Johnny Depp dies by being sucked into his bed, must have been about 10 when I saw that and to this day I still can't sleep on my back (just incase I get pulled downwards)!!

So glad I'm not the only person scared of earwigs!

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say, Nightmare on Elm street too!
I always remember the way he looked after being sucked in to that water bed.... so scary! haha I still have dreams about Freddy Krugar now!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about the flying Monkeys in the Wizard of Oz - anybody else get the heebie-jeebies from those?! What really freaked me out was the wicked which who changed her heads.....

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heidi - you really should see Donnie Darko, its a great movie! I won' tell what its about or what happens so you can find out for yourself.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, as for me, I was afraid of our attic as a child.....of course it didn't help that my brothers told me the boogie man lived up there!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Well, as for me, I was afraid of our attic as a child.....of course it didn't help that my brothers told me the boogie man lived up there!
When i was about 6-7, my youngest brother and two of his friends were digging my mum and dads garden, and when i asked what they were doing he said " digging a hole to bury you in once your asleep! "

I was terrified to go to sleep that night

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Poltergeist movie gave me a phobia for Clowns.

I used to be afraid that the clown was under my bed and so when I went to bed, I would make sure my legs and feet were nowhere near the edge of the bed and that my hands were under the covers. I used to cover my thumbs because I thought that the clown would surely grab my thumbs and pull me under. ACK!

Also, for awhile, I was scared of swallowing my tongue in my sleep (i saw a news programme about someone doing that or soimething) so I would hold onto my tongue with my teeth as long as I could before falling asleep..

Ok, I am a weirdo.

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was afraid of the vaccum cleaner... It didnt help that my family thought it was funny and used to chase me with it to make me scream

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that I don't have a brother!

My sister used to tell me all the time that I was adopted. This went on for a few weeks until one point I really believed her and packed my little barbie suitcase to run away from home! Not sure how long I would have survived with my Care Bear and a packet of digestive biscuits, but anyway..... I got as far as the next street corner until my mum & dad came running after me! hehe
My sister got told off... "stop picking on your little sister!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These replies are all so cute!!!!!!
Awwwww....

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We had a vacation house out at the Colorado River, which is the border between California and Arizona. I had no problem with swimming until I saw the weeds that grow from the bottom. I've never liked them and always avoided them. I think deep down, I thought something was going to grab me from inside the weeds. That is why I didn't start skiing until I was about 12-13 years old. To this day, I still don't like seeing weeds in the water, but I deal with it now.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
elevaters...bees...house fires...storms...some weird talking flowers on a girl scout video...a neighbors dog...leaches...rollercoasters...teenage boys who i didnt know...huricanes ( i thought you could get them on a pond...i live in minnesota)... well lets just say i was, and still am a worrier.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ryan! You always come up with the most provactive questions~~

I was scared of tigers in my closet until I was about six. I had a boyfriend at that time - yah, at age 6? and his name was John Cloonis (I hope he isn't on the cat site after all these years!
) and he dragged me in there when we were playing gypsies and pirates. I made him kiss me and then there were no more tigers! I have no clue what the connection was.....no clue.