What was your first job?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One wise person has said that no one should be put in any position of authority until they've worked as a wait person for at least a year.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first job was babysitting a family of 4 kids, their parents were seasonal workers in one of large Georgain Bay resorts. The companies actually hired the sitters or zoo-keepers as they sometime joke. It kind of nice because you always got the same kids back each year. I did it for the 5 years I was in high school.

Sadly just this past Christmas Johnny the oldest boy was kill by a drunk driver...such a waste.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did the usual babysitting jobs from age 12 to 16-ish. My first 'real' job (tax paying) was a cashier/waitress at Ponderosa, for $1.65/hour, when I finally turned 16. I wanted contacts SO bad, but my parents wouldn't get them for me, because they thought that $300 was too expensive. (It was!) I worked a lot of hours after school, and on weekends to get them!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first job was dishwasher at a small cafe. I worked there the entire time I was in high school. I quit when I moved away to college.

It may have sucked being a dishwasher, but it was the best job I have ever had. The people were so nice and when it wasn't busy, we just stood around talking.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first jobs at age 12 were babysitting and a 5 a.m. paper route.

My first real job was working as a kitchen aide at a huge sheltered care facility. I did everything there, from running the industrial dishwasher to serving &/or spoon feeding the patients to cleaning the toilets. There were about 10 of us that worked in the kitchen and we all went to high school together. I grew to care about some of the residents very much, especially the ones that didn't have any family to watch out for them.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I had a couple...unofficial jobs, meaning babysitting and paper routes. I also helped do some filing for my dad the summer after grade 9, but my first "real" job was working as a customer service worker (read: cashier) for KFC, in the mall food court. I LOVED that job. I made some excellent friends at work, and we had tonnes of regulars who worked in the mall. I used to "megasize" their combos for free/give them free salads, and got some awesomely sweet deals back in return - once buying a home theatre, the guy gave us the not-included sub woofer for free - certainly worth more than the 2x weekly .50 upgrades I was giving him! Also, all the food court establishments had an unofficial free trade rule, meaning we all gave eachother free food whenever - managers let us all get away with this because they too enjoyed this perk
I kept that pt job for over 4 years, through HS, and even transferred when I started University - but the new store wasnt the same vibe and was open much later, so I eventually quit to work at a dry cleaning pick up location

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Starting babysitting when I was 10.

Did door to door sales at 15, then worked as a short order cook when I was 20, then industrial cleaner untill I was injured

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First paying job was at a local discount store I worked at after high school. My father instilled my work ethic - unless I was dying I went to work and I am still that way today.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first job was babysitting two little girls, ages 5 and 8 when I was 13. The first night they taught me to play poker, and by the time their parents came home I owed the little demons my entire pay! No, I have not played poker again in the last 40 years.

Next I sold carnations on a street corner for a company called The Flower People. Started on weekends when I was 15, and it was such a party and I made so much money that I quit school. I guess I thought it would be 1973 forever.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my first job at 14 working as a receptionist at my church 3 evenings after school and Saturday afternoon. It was ideal...I just answered the phone, either transferred calls to the priests or took messages, answered the door and had time to do my homework in between. They also had a TV and supplies drinks in a little fridge. It was only $2.00/hr under the table but that's a fortune to a 14 year old (or, at least to me!). I worked there all through high school.

The summer between Junior and Senior year I got a job as a shampoo girl at a hair salon as well.

My first "real" (w-2 job) was working in the admissions office of my college doing data entry and mailing. It was considered part of the financial aid package offered, but not enough people applied so they opened up any jobs available to anyone that wanted them, so I didn't have a limit I could make. Over Christmas break, I was there from 8:00-5:00 mon thru fri and made GREAT money. I quit middle of the next semester though because it was too much with my school work (I'm really NOT a morning person!). Then I got a job at Pizza Hut as a night time waitress where I REALLY learned what it's like to work for a living.

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've always been doing the same thing... I'm a classical musician. So, my first work, when I was 15, was for the Salvation Army; they recruited brass ensembles to play next to their collection buckets during the Christmas season. They always liked to find high-school kids that could play well, because at their pay rates (minimum wage) it's hard to find good musicians.

Later on, still in high school, I kept getting hired to play with the band/orchestra at the state university next door.

I've only had one non-music job; worked in the back office of a local non-profit theater organization for two months. But it doesn't really count... they hired me to futz around in the office and do odd jobs, but it turned into me doing IT stuff and resurrecting old computers. They didn't have much for me to do sometimes, so I'd always bring my horn with me and practice in this small theater that they were using for storage... usually got in at least a full hour of practice during my 4-5 hour work day.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Babysitting was my first unofficial job. Then I got a job as a maid when I was in high school. Someday, I will work at Subway. Maybe after my book is published....

musicalbookworm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My first job was as a hotel maid. I took CNA (nurse assistant) training very shortly after I started that job! I then worked as a nurse assistant for two summers during undergrad.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had the weirdest job in the world. I sold cartons of eggs door to door when I was about 8. Dad worked in a grocery store and brought home cases of eggs and empty cartons and sent me out in the neighborhood to earn my keep. So while normal kids had their "paper routes", I had my "egg route". And ironically, I'm allergic to eggs.

By 10 I was babysitting, at 12 sewing clothes for my sisters (paid me $5 per outfit), and at 15 got my first job in a bakery. By 18 I got my first salary job in IT. I've been working too long......