What to use to clean the litterboxes?

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry I know this has probably been covered a thousand times...

Just wondering if I should use some type of chemical cleaner when I do a full litter change? So far I've just been using vinegar and hot water. I think I've seen people say they use bleach but I'd be afraid I wouldn't get it rinsed well enough and it would harm the kitties?!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very diluted bleach, very diluted
I, personally, just throw the whole thing away litter, pan and all. I don't know what kind of box you use, but I buy the plastic boxes from like wal-mart or petsmart for around 5 dollars. I would rather buy a new box, than to clean the old ones out
But if you have an expensive one, cleaning it out would be more practical, just rinse it a couple more times to be on the safe side

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rinse the litterbox out, then fill it with hot water & a bit of bleach & let it soak for a while (closed in the bathroom out of reach of the cats), then rinse thoroughly.

But if you're nervous about using bleach, another option might be to spray the empty box thoroughly with a pet enzyme cleaner like Simple Solution or other cleaner safe for use around pets, let it dry completely (the enzyme cleaner has to be allowed to dry to remove pet odors), and then wash the box out with water & a non-toxic cleaner like Simple Green, and rinse thoroughly.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
In the past, I've just scrubbed it with dish detergent and water and rinsed... or for less messy situations, I've used those lysol cleansing cloths... but I just recently purchased a steam cleaner from walmart (kinda like the red scunchi ones on the infomercials, but it's cheaper and made by GE - only $25 at walmart) and the last time I did a full clean, I used that and it worked wonderfully!! It cleans and sanitizes with pressurized steam... It's my new favorite toy haha as I've used it recently on the little box, to sterilize a diseased fish tank, and to completely clean my kitchen! It's already paid for itself and I've only had it two weeks!

Just a thought if any of you have those cleaners or was considering getting one, the litter box is another way it can be used!

petkeeper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I asked a vet what to you as a safe disenfectant(sp?) because I use vinegar as well...and they suggested anit-bacterial dishsoap. It seems to work really well.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just use hot water and arm and hammer baking soda.I let it sit for about 15 minutes and then rinse it out really good until the water is clear.
They sell arm&hammer litter box stuff to make the litter smell better.So, I figured it would be o.k. to use just plain baking soda to clean it.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I fill up the box with hot water, add a splash of bleach (I'd guess 1/4 cup) let it sit, and rinse throughly with hot water- making sure any "crud" is washed away. I'm sorry, but buying a new box x 5 every few weeks is too much for me, even with the cheap van ness boxes- not to mention not environmentally friendly.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use antibacterial soap and hot water.

That steam thing sounds cool...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The steam sounds great wonder if it is too late to ask Santa ...

I use hot water and Dr bonners soap it is good as shampoo and many other things and cheap and organic

about 3 to 4 time s a year I soak them with ammonia

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just an idea, maybe you could use the kitty shampoo to clean the litterbox. it probably works like soap and it certainly won't be harmful for ur cat.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use dish soap and a scrub brush for the initial cleaning, then I disinfect with Cherry-256:

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/prod...ProductID=3455

(It also comes in lemon and wintergreen scent, though I would not use lemon scent for litterboxes since cats hate the smell!)

The stuff is super, super concentrated - 4 mL dilutes to make a quart of disinfectant, and the one gallon you purchase makes 256 gallons. So it's very cost effective. And unlike bleach, which requires about 20 minutes of contact time to work, this stuff works pretty much on contact.

sillykitty3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just put the litter box in the tub put in a small amount of bleach or if I have it Petzyme. And fill the box with really HOT water. Let it sit for a bit, dump and fill with hot water again and let it run over for a while and dump and rinse again. In between litter changes I sprinkle a tiny bit of carpet fresh in the bottom of the boxes.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always use a capful of Clorex bleach - the best thing to kill all germs. You dilute the bleach as you wash (maybe a 2-3 cups of water to the capful) and rinse very throughly. If its still a strong bleach smell, rinse some more and air dry in the sun.

I've never had a problem with the cats and using bleach.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've been using a steam cleaner for the past six years - not just on the litter box, but on floors, the bathroom, kitchen counters, the oven, windows, etc.. I love it! Before I got it, I used a cleaner designed for rodent and bird cages to clean the litter box (available at pet stores), and that did the trick.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I always use a capful of Clorex bleach - the best thing to kill all germs. You dilute the bleach as you wash (maybe a 2-3 cups of water to the capful) and rinse very throughly. If its still a strong bleach smell, rinse some more and air dry in the sun.

I've never had a problem with the cats and using bleach.
Bleach is safe but you have to leave it in the litterbox for at least 10 minutes for it to kill germs. If you leave it for less time than that you are not getting any disinfectant activity, though it is a good cleaner.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

I use dish soap and a scrub brush for the initial cleaning, then I disinfect with Cherry-256:

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/prod...ProductID=3455

(It also comes in lemon and wintergreen scent, though I would not use lemon scent for litterboxes since cats hate the smell!)

The stuff is super, super concentrated - 4 mL dilutes to make a quart of disinfectant, and the one gallon you purchase makes 256 gallons. So it's very cost effective. And unlike bleach, which requires about 20 minutes of contact time to work, this stuff works pretty much on contact.
Just to add...this is the same stuff that is used in many vet offices and shelters.