What to use to clean the litterboxes?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to just use hot water & a scrub brush, but this last time I used my dish soad (Ivory). It's gentle & rinses off easily. I figure if I can use it on dishes I'm going to eat off of, what's the likely hood it would be dangerous in the cat box? I'm glad to see other people used dish soap also.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also use hot water and Ivory dishliquid, or sometimes I will use anti-bacterial soap too.

madpiano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I generally only use hot water, but if the box is very dirty, I will use Domestos Bleach. I can't really see any harm in it. The Chlorine will disappear once the box is dry (here in the UK, Domestos is made with chlorine, not chloramine. Chlorine evaporates fairly quickly), but even if there is some kind of residue, I have never seen my cat lick the litter box ? He digs to china in it and throws the litter into all directions, but he doesn't lick it, so I assume most cleaners are safe.

I wouldn't want to use a strong smelling cleaner like Flash Multipurpose and, unless the box is very dirty, don't see the point of using any soap, as there is no greasy residue in the box ? Soap cuts down grease, everything else should come off with hot water (the last rinse, i fill the box with boiling water from the kettle, just to make sure).

oh, and regarding the citrus smell ? My cat uses tangerines as toys and bats them all around the house, biting into them and attacking them with claws...the whole house semlls of oranges and I sometimes step on them... but he certainly isn't deterred by their smell.