What to Feed My Muffin Boy - In His Last Days

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pepcid is over the counter.  I've given it to Patches in the past before he started on the steroid.  You want to get the regular strenghth pepcid 10 mg pills.  You don't want the extra strenghth or complete.  I had two different vets emphasize regular pepcid.  The last time I bought it I got a store brand to save some money and Patches was fine with it.
Thanks. What was your purpose in starting it before the steroid

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a number of years of vet hopping before I found one that figured out what was going on with him.  I would take him to a vet with what was actually an IBD flare and they would put him on an antibiotic and tell me I could use the Pepcid.  A couple of times they kept him on an IV.  I think it was because he had the symptoms of anorexia, vomiting vile, constipation and they were used to the more common symptoms that include diarrhea and often don't include anorexia.

michellemurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When My beautiful boy Skippy was at the end of his days, he loved the Friskies shreds in sauce and he would drink the water from tuna packed in water. The pred didnt do much for him, and we were not offered a appetite stimulant, but my boy had a large tumor in his intestines and it had spread to the surrounding tissues :(  Those last weeks were some of the worst of my whole life. I'm glad to read that your kitty is eating well. In the end it helped my family to know that we did everything we could possibly do for him. I remember on his 2nd last day bringing him out to feel the warmth of the sun and to listen to the birds.Hecouldnt walk really anymore, But he lifted his little head.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for all the encouragement. It means a lot. Muffin has some days when he eats better than others. He has never been a lap cat so we struggle when my desire is to just hold him and love him. It has to be his idea. I am going to try to arrange my day so I can sit on the porch with him awhile. I love to get on my sofa out there with a cup of coffee, a good book, a spread on cool days like this and my cats. I fall asleep, wake up with Mattie on my chest and Muffin under my arm. It just doesn't get any better.:lol3:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
............ I love to get on my sofa out there with a cup of coffee, a good book, a spread on cool days like this and my cats. I fall asleep, wake up with Mattie on my chest and Muffin under my arm. It just doesn't get any better.

Now that sounds like the perfect place for all of you to be.  Go for it! 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for all the encouragement. It means a lot. Muffin has some days when he eats better than others. He has never been a lap cat so we struggle when my desire is to just hold him and love him. It has to be his idea. I am going to try to arrange my day so I can sit on the porch with him awhile. I love to get on my sofa out there with a cup of coffee, a good book, a spread on cool days like this and my cats. I fall asleep, wake up with Mattie on my chest and Muffin under my arm. It just doesn't get any better.:lol3:
That sounds wonderful! :clap:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just wanted to post here that Muffin is eating his food. He still is on a roller coaster with it, but I feed him whatever he will swallow. He is getting around good and doesn't act like he hurts. He just is moving slow. Last night I sprinkled catnip on his scratching post which is on the porch. He was frolicking around with that. Made me feel good to see him so playful. Mattie decided she wanted in on the action so she came over and slapped him, hoping he would move. He didn't. I have noticed that the hair is coming out on his belly. I mentioned it to the vet's wife yesterday via phone, but haven't heard back. I am wondering if it is connected with his thyroid issues. He takes a quarter tablet of methamazole every day for that.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It must feel amazing to see him playful and see him responding to the cat nip.  
So happy you are still managing to get him eat something to, long may this continue:-) 

Do get hair loss with thyroid issues so chances are it's related: hope the vet gets back to you soon so you can put your mind at rest and enjoy Muffin's wellness for a change.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a tough kitty Muffin is! All that love is keeping him strong. You're doing a wonderful job.

When Pearl's appetite was going downhill, I fed her basically anything I knew she liked. I had some luck with eggs, sardines, and even the occasional dog treat (she always loved dog food, for some reason). Just anything that made her happy.

The slowness might be related to the liver cancer. As function goes down, more toxins make it to the brain. My kitty didn't have liver cancer, but she had fatty liver as collateral from gallbladder issues, and then her liver got hit again by re-emergent toxoplasmosis, probably caught in kittenhood before I got her and reactivated when her immune system got weak. Both times she developed that "slowness" to her movements.

I also had her on steroids, and this seemed to help. Maybe ask the vet if this could be the issue, and if it's ok to up her dose a little and see if that improves things. Also, adding some kind of liver supporting supplement may help. Milk thistle, lactulose, Denamarin, etc. They can be crushed or come in liquid to be added to food.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a tough kitty Muffin is! All that love is keeping him strong. You're doing a wonderful job.

When Pearl's appetite was going downhill, I fed her basically anything I knew she liked. I had some luck with eggs, sardines, and even the occasional dog treat (she always loved dog food, for some reason). Just anything that made her happy.

The slowness might be related to the liver cancer. As function goes down, more toxins make it to the brain. My kitty didn't have liver cancer, but she had fatty liver as collateral from gallbladder issues, and then her liver got hit again by re-emergent toxoplasmosis, probably caught in kittenhood before I got her and reactivated when her immune system got weak. Both times she developed that "slowness" to her movements.

I also had her on steroids, and this seemed to help. Maybe ask the vet if this could be the issue, and if it's ok to up her dose a little and see if that improves things. Also, adding some kind of liver supporting supplement may help. Milk thistle, lactulose, Denamarin, etc. They can be crushed or come in liquid to be added to food.
He is already taking the steroid two times a day,every day and I doubt it can be increased. We tried the Denamarin and another type of liver supplement. He vomited the whole time he took them. I might check about the lactulose.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is already taking the steroid two times a day,every day and I doubt it can be increased. We tried the Denamarin and another type of liver supplement. He vomited the whole time he took them. I might check about the lactulose.
Ah, ok. Yeah, that's a fair amount of steroids.

I was able to get lactulose in liquid form. It helped Pearl with her fatty liver issues a fair bit.