What to Feed My Muffin Boy - In His Last Days

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nutro Natural Choice Duck stinks to high heaven - its what my cat Boo would eat while her appetite was ruined by Depo-Medrol for a month.  Sometimes the stinkier a food is helps.  Its also relatively high calorie, and comes in soft loaf (pate) - would work in a syringe watered down a bit if you had to go there.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

You can try Whiskas Pate style tray dinners, my boy Mittens who is really picky and doesn't like almost every wet food,  prefers it over Fancy Feast pate. 

And my prayers and support to you and sweet Muffins.  I know how difficult this is to go through.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toby went from classic chicken and liver, to classic beef and liver. Maybe you could look at something that still has liver in it. Does Muffin stick in one single food group, or does he shift food groups totally now and then? Toby would eat X food group type for a while and then totally switch, and we would have to find all new stuff. You might try the soulistic tuna and mackeral in gravy, that was a hit here briefly. 

Toby liked the royal canin baby cat instinctive first stage early start, i think it was described as loaf, definitely not minced. 

I know you said you tried all the fancy feast but we did manage to circle back on a few specific cans now and then where he didn't have a lot of x or y to begin with and then "rediscovered" them, i.e. classic turkey, flaked fish, flaked chicken&tuna brand. He also had a brief love affair with chunky chicken. 

Here is my little boy in mid-march this year, right before everything fell apart :-(. Toby always knew when I was playing with the webcam and wanted to jump up and get his pettings and see what was happening. Sometimes I think, what if he just walked in the room like he was always here. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a recent picture of my boy at the back door begging food.

I haven't heard of some of these brands of cat food suggested, the Best feline Friends and the Nutro Natural Choice Duck. I live in NC. The only pet store I have access to is Pet Smart. I buy mostly at Wal Mart or Target. Marshmallow2013, I bought some of the Whiskas Pate foods yesterday. I opened two of them this morning and Muffin wouldn't even smell of it. I finally persuaded him to eat some canned tuna. I also bought some cans of Friskies Pate last night and I will try some of that tonight.
BarbB, I love Toby. Thank you for posting that picture. What a sweet looking kitty he was. I am still keeping the Fancy Feast because Mattie eats that. The way things are going now, I just keeping opening cans of whatever is in the cabinet until Muffin will eat. I thought the Forti Flora would help, but not always. Sometimes I have to pick up the wet food and just feed it to Muffin with my fingers. Other times he will eat it from a spoon. He is really not eating much food during a days time. I am doing the best I can to keep him eating, but I feel so depressed and discouraged, it is hard to hide those feelings from my cat.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Muffin seems determined to be with you even if he can't manage to eat very much of his food so hang in there. Thank you for posting your recent picture, Muffin still looks like a splendid man-cat to me so he must be a really handsome fluff-ball when he's well. 
   Keep going with the Forti Flora for when it helps, and those fingers and spoons of pate, every calorie helps.  I am now imagining Mattie sitting behind you both, licking his lips and telling Muffin that his fancy food isn't nice so he should just leave it for him...   
for you and your guys.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Muffin still looks pretty good, though all that fluffy hair makes it hard to tell how thin he is. :heart3: :vibes::vibes::vibes: that his appetite picks up. It's always a real downer when you can't get them to eat, and you find yourself celebrating every halfway decent meal they consume.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Muffin seems determined to be with you even if he can't manage to eat very much of his food so hang in there. Thank you for posting your recent picture, Muffin still looks like a splendid man-cat to me so he must be a really handsome fluff-ball when he's well. :nod:    Keep going with the Forti Flora for when it helps, and those fingers and spoons of pate, every calorie helps.  I am now imagining Mattie sitting behind you both, licking his lips and telling Muffin that his fancy food isn't nice so he should just leave it for him...   :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for you and your guys.
Both :yeah: and :lol3:

Muffin really is a handsome boy!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is turning his nose up at foods the second time he gets them, I wonder if he may have some excess stomach acid or nausea? You can ask your vet about this and they may be able to prescribe something if they think that is the case.

When my dog had hemangiosarcoma/tumors on her liver, my holistic vet gave us B12 to inject sub-q at home.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Muffin was really a fluff ball before this situation came about. Three weeks ago my little grandson was on the porch with me and Muffin. He put his hand out to pet Muffin on the back and drew it back. He said Grammy, I feel his bones. That is when I told the vet said Muffin has cancer.

I bought some different brand of Friskies yesterday. I opened one of them this morning. Muffin ate the whole can and then I fed him some kibble. He will eat that if I feed it one piece at the time to him. It has become a game. I drop a piece on the floor and he "kills" it when he pounces. What things we do for these cats.:nod:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He loves the new Friskies I bought. Today he has eaten two cans and part of another. Go, Muffin.:nod:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so happy to hear he is eating. The Friskies seem to entice cats into eating quite often.
The first Friskies I bought the Pate because he had seemed to like that in the Fancy Feast to begin with. But these new ones were shreds in sauce and he loves them. Back to the store today to replenish the supply.:lol3:

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the picture Barb! He still looks beautiful for a sick boy. I know he is not the same outside but he has the same heart and soul inside and I know you love him all the more for hanging in there. It is because of you and your DH that he is still with you and still wanting to be alive and be part of the beautiful sheltering loving world that you have made for him in this life. I am just so happy that he is still eating. I know the hassle you are going through with food too :-(. It is really hard :-(. If you are not giving Muffin pepsid, that might help him. I was giving Toby 1/2 in the morning and at night. I am just so happy that Muffin is still here. I know you are cherishing each day. :-)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
for shredded Friskies in gravy!  Here's hoping he keeps a taste for it so he starts to pad out that snugly fur of his. That would be wonderful!  Here's some vibes to keep him munching. 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep a couple of cans of the shreds in gravy around in case one of mine stops eating, but I feed the pate type daily.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the picture Barb! He still looks beautiful for a sick boy. I know he is not the same outside but he has the same heart and soul inside and I know you love him all the more for hanging in there. It is because of you and your DH that he is still with you and still wanting to be alive and be part of the beautiful sheltering loving world that you have made for him in this life. I am just so happy that he is still eating. I know the hassle you are going through with food too :-(. It is really hard :-(. If you are not giving Muffin pepsid, that might help him. I was giving Toby 1/2 in the morning and at night. I am just so happy that Muffin is still here. I know you are cherishing each day. :-)
Barb is Pepsid something I can buy at the store> Do I need to ask the vet about this.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pepcid is over the counter.  I've given it to Patches in the past before he started on the steroid.  You want to get the regular strenghth pepcid 10 mg pills.  You don't want the extra strenghth or complete.  I had two different vets emphasize regular pepcid.  The last time I bought it I got a store brand to save some money and Patches was fine with it.