What Things Are You Very Cautious About?

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like the title says, what things are you very cautious about? I hate locking myself out of things, as I've done it a few times, so I'm pretty paranoid about that. I haven't locked myself out for years though, so I think I have it down pretty good now. My front door has an automatic lock. I always leave the house with my wallet, which has an extra car key and an extra house key inside just in case I forget my keys. I usually check my pockets more than once before I close the door. I probably do that more than other people, but it works for me.

What kinds of things do you do? -maybe making sure you never leave stuff on the stairs? -maybe you always put your shoes in the closet? What kinds of things?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tripping over animals, I've always got my eyes on my feet.

I also take several trips out to the back yard every day (silly dog won't do his business unless he has company), usually, on nice days, a cat or 4 will go out as well.
I'm always cautious about making sure they've all gone back in the house with me.
We've got a 6 foot privacy fence, pretty cat safe yard, but not escape proof if they put their minds to it.

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When in public, I ALWAYS make sure I can see my son AND that he's within arms reach. He's just too quick, so he gets not slack!! He's also very friendly as talks to everyone so I have NO doubt that he would walk off with a stranger even though I preach to him about strangers.

I am also paronoid of people who knock on my door when my husband isn't home. If I don't know them, they can knock all day long.....I'm not opening the door!

And one more thing......in a resturant, I refuse to sit with my back to an entrance. I have to see who is coming in and if they are acting strange.....I'm outta there!

ash_bct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Locking doors! I am ultra-paranoid of people just walking into my apartment. More than once people have come to our apartment building *hearing* about a party and have tried my door. Also I have an issue with what would I do *if* someone came in? I am on the 3rd floor.... So yes, locked doors!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
-sounds like everyone is into due and reasonable caution so far. That's good.

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ash_bct

Locking doors! I am ultra-paranoid of people just walking into my apartment. More than once people have come to our apartment building *hearing* about a party and have tried my door. Also I have an issue with what would I do *if* someone came in? I am on the 3rd floor.... So yes, locked doors!
Yes, I'm also very cautious about locking my doors. We live in a single family home in a nice neighborhood but that means nothing to me. Crime happens in all neighborhoods. Before I go to bed (I'm always the last one) I check every single door in the house. And the door that we use all the time has a double key dead bolt so that our son can't open it if he hears someone knocking. The other doors have locks at the top to deter him as well.

Oh my, I sound like a paranoid freak who's affraid to venture out!

ash_bct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catherine

Yes, I'm also very cautious about locking my doors. We live in a single family home in a nice neighborhood but that means nothing to me. Crime happens in all neighborhoods. Before I go to bed (I'm always the last one) I check every single door in the house. And the door that we use all the time has a double key dead bolt so that our son can't open it if he hears someone knocking. The other doors have locks at the top to deter him as well.

Oh my, I sound like a paranoid freak whose affraid to venture out!
Nope, you don't! You only sound like someone who cares about herself and her family and wants to keep them safe!

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Nope, you don't! You only sound like someone who cares about herself and her family and wants to keep them safe!
My husband laughs at me. I even lock my car doors the min. I get in. He says, "Who's going to jump in your car while your doing 70 mph on the interstate?" My answer is, "I have to stop at red lights."

I'm glad to know I'm not the only safety cautious person!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spelling! Even on these boards I'm over cautious. Every time I write a post, I preview it for spelling. If I've made any changes, I preview that too. If I'm unsure of how to spell a word, I'll open a new window and check it on dictionary dot com.

Yes, I'm going to preview this one too. Yes, I also notice everyone else's typos, though I judge them much less harshly than my own!

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Spelling!
Yes, I'm going to preview this one too. Yes, I also notice everyone else's typos, though I judge them much less harshly than my own!
I hope so!! I'm the worse speller! I watch it closely on formal documents but not here.

Please don't judge me!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Making sure all electric switches are off before i go to bed or leave the house.

Making sure i have my mobile, money purse and makeup bag.

Make sure Rosie and Sophie are safely in their room before i set the alarm when i leave.

Very cautious of people who i don't know well

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am incredibly cautious about locking doors - so much so, people seem to feel like I have losked them into my flat/house!

I check that i've locked my car about three times before I leave it and will possible go back later to make sure that i've locked it!
I think I forget as it is such a natural reaction to lock my car when I get out!

I always drive with my car doors locked - I worry that people will open my boot and steal my CD multi changer!
Or that someone will jump in with me! (It has happened to a friend of my Dad's, so I'm a little on the cautious side - especially driving through some of the places I do!)

I am also cautious about making sure that the doors between the front door are shut to prevent Tibby and Molly from getting out! When i'm at my parents', I spend most of my time shouting either 'Air Lock' or 'doors!'

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fire hazards! Mainly while cooking though, I hate to leave things cooking without keeping a check on it. A few times I had a burner well catch on fire so it scares me to think of that happening if I'm not there to see it in time!

Also keeping stuff off of the floor that the cats might eat, such as small candy wrappers and other small pieces of plastic...ect...which I have to pick up all too often!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
since i have moved into my appartment at first i used to lock my doors each time we went out, untill my neighbour told me, "i have your key to the appartment because my electricity switch is there.

The other day bf told me why i dont lock the doors anymore and that we should be more of a habbit as we have more valuables now than when we moved in and i said... whats the point? if everyone in this appartment block is related and have our keys... Our door isnt broken, but you can tell that someone has smashed it to get it open..
But i never forget my keys... thats one thing im very cautious about!

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Spelling! Even on these boards I'm over cautious. Every time I write a post, I preview it for spelling. If I've made any changes, I preview that too. If I'm unsure of how to spell a word, I'll open a new window and check it on dictionary dot com.

Also I am super paranoid about computer security and phishing scams. I am very good about spotting them (most of them are really fairly crude, although I have gotten a few that I can only admire the effort they put into them. Just wish it was re-directed to some legitimate enterprise.) And I never open any unsolicited attachment, and usually will not open an unsolicited e-mail. I have been known to call hubby at work and ask him if he's expecting an e-mail from whereever. If not, it's immediately trashed and then the trash is immediately emptied.

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormy

Also keeping stuff off of the floor that the cats might eat, such as small candy wrappers and other small pieces of plastic...ect...which I have to pick up all too often!
Me too... I'm allways nagging my partner about stringy stuff or reminding him to wrap his cooked chicken bones and take them straight out to the outside dumpster. kitty has developed an ability to open the cupboard and dive into the bin if it smells good enough

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm mainly cautious over things that have to do with heat. I leave the house and get to work and then wonder if I left the curling on or the clothes iron. I light a wax tart burner at work in my office and when I get home I worry that maybe I forgot to blow the candle out. I have made many trips home and to the office just to check on these things only to find that it's O.K. I'm also pretty paranoid about my kitty cats and where they are, if they are feeling well, etc.

cazx01

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when i leave the house, i have to have my keys actully in my hand, otherwise, i walk down the street checking i have them in my bag, over and over

Also locking the back door at night, i'm so paranoid about this, even thoguh i know i have locked it, i come down and check that i have

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Locking doors! I am ultra-paranoid of people just walking into my apartment.I have an issue with what would I do *if* someone came in? I am on the 3rd floor.... So yes, locked doors!
SMART CHICK!
I wish everyone were this cautious! (BTW, that is my answer as well, only
my name is Luca....I live on the second floor
... sorry, couldn't resist
)

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hmm, I'm a little paranoid about leaving work or the mall at night
...because you hear such horror stories!!! I get my keys out, hold them between my fingers (you know, so I can poke someone's eye out if they try to attack me!) and then practically run to my car and lock all the doors as soon as I get in.

Oh...and I check under the car, hood and in backseat for evil dwellers...

just kidding!! But I do sometimes walk with a lit cigarette...always nice to have some fire to burn the attacker with.

okay after re-reading this, i sound a little like a paranoid psycho now, don't i?