What Soap/Bathwash do you use???

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

I can't bring myself to recommend Dove, but, that's what most soapmakers used before.

Do you have a health/herb store nearby? They usually carry handmade soap....
I had no idea about the glycerin... it's great that you pointed that out. It's funny but Dove for sensitive skin is the only other soap I can use. I've tried half a dozen local soaps, and they all have some kind of mint in them - very irritating to my skin.

Guess I'll skip the soap-making, and check out some mild hand-made soaps to buy.

Thanks again! And thanks for the treasure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
www.dionissoap.com is really good too! (i use their extra rich hand creams and love them!) they use goats milk in their stuff.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I have a scar around my wrists and up my forearm as testament to the hazards of lye. When I was about 3 yrs old, I stuck my hand into a pot of lye on my grandmother's stove. I was wearing one of those little long-sleeved shirts with the ribbing around the cuffs. Mom didn't know it happened until she went to undress me and my skin peeled off with the ribbing of the shirt. Told ya I was a quiet kid
I didn't freak out until my mom freaked out
Oh no! You must have suffered, lye burns can be third degree! One soapmaker got a splash in her eye, (she was not wearing goggles) she was wearing contacts and it burned through, she had to go to the emergency room and she was lucky she was wearing contacts or she would have lost sight in that eye.

You were shy too, you brougt back a memory when my mother was shutting the electric window in the car and my arm was in it, and the window was almost closed and I didn't say anything, her friend said something.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

Oh no! You must have suffered, lye burns can be third degree! One soapmaker got a splash in her eye, (she was not wearing goggles) she was wearing contacts and it burned through, she had to go to the emergency room and she was lucky she was wearing contacts or she would have lost sight in that eye.

You were shy too, you brougt back a memory when my mother was shutting the electric window in the car and my arm was in it, and the window was almost closed and I didn't say anything, her friend said something.
that is scarry! i'm glad your friend had her conatact in!!!!!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Wow, I looked up some of the chemicals I listed in an earlier post. I knew some of them were bad, but not how bad. Not sure if anyone is that interested though. The chemicals listed are in various Lush products as well as most common soaps.

Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
eye, skin, and respiratory irritant
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/si...+@rn+2235-54-3

Sodium dodecyl sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate
same as above, can cause skin issues and even canker sores
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/si...m+@rn+151-21-3

Sodium Stearate
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/si...m+@rn+822-16-2

Propylene Glycol
lots of stuff on http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/si...rm+@rn+57-55-6

Glycerine - not toxic but...
"On May 4, 2007, the US Food and Drug Administration advised all US makers of medicines to test all batches of glycerine for the toxic diethylene glycol.

This follows an occurance of 100 fatal poisonings in Panama resulting from a Chinese factory deliberately falsifying records in order to export the cheaper diethylene glycol as the more expensive glycerine." Wow, not that anyone would find that too surprising...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerine

Kind of interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._3_carcinogens

Easy to look up chemicals on.
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/

The Dr. Bronner's stuff that sharky linked too looks interesting. I wonder if, depending on ingredients - ie no tea tree oil, some of the soaps would be ok for washing cats too.
First of all, unless you have allergies or specific sensitivities, most of those won't actually hurt you since they're rinsed off almost immediately and have prtty low toxicity. Breathing the air on the street is more likely to give you cancer. Of course, if you know your skin is sensitive or you're allergic, its a different story. Of course, many people are violently allergic to various essential oils, so just using something with essential oils is not necessarily safer or more healthy.

Also, most, if not all, of these chemicals are either naturally occurring or are actually derived from essential and natural oils. A lot of "natural" companies will list these chemicals actually being the oils they were derived from. "coconut oil" by the time it reaches your natural soap has been fashioned into SLS, but they can be sneaky with how they list it. I say call a spade a spade. Plus, arsenic is naturally occurring, but it'll still kill you.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

First of all, unless you have allergies or specific sensitivities, most of those won't actually hurt you since they're rinsed off almost immediately and have prtty low toxicity. Breathing the air on the street is more likely to give you cancer. Of course, if you know your skin is sensitive or you're allergic, its a different story. Of course, many people are violently allergic to various essential oils, so just using something with essential oils is not necessarily safer or more healthy.

Also, most, if not all, of these chemicals are either naturally occurring or are actually derived from essential and natural oils. A lot of "natural" companies will list these chemicals actually being the oils they were derived from. "coconut oil" by the time it reaches your natural soap has been fashioned into SLS, but they can be sneaky with how they list it. I say call a spade a spade. Plus, arsenic is naturally occurring, but it'll still kill you.
very good points allie

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

First of all, unless you have allergies or specific sensitivities, most of those won't actually hurt you since they're rinsed off almost immediately and have prtty low toxicity. Breathing the air on the street is more likely to give you cancer. Of course, if you know your skin is sensitive or you're allergic, its a different story.
As several of the post in this thread have proven, a lot of people do have sensitive skin. While some of them may not be strong enough to actually harm you they can completely strip your hair/skin of natural oils and dry it out.
The list I came across while looking stuff up, it had a lot of really odd common stuff listed so I posted the link, that's all.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since I sell Avon Products, I use their shower gel and my handsoap is their antibacterial gel. I also use Dove face soap.I use all gel fragrances, whatever is on sale. Shampoo is Pantene shampoo and con. in one, or Paul Mitchell. I have real coarse hair and is behaves better if I don't condition too often. Cosmetics should be renewed every 3 months especially eye products, but I don't do it. Maybelline mascara is better than any other IMO.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by deljo

Maybelline mascara is better than any other IMO.
I've tried just about everything and Maybelline is the ONLY mascara i will use anymore- it is sooooooooo amazing!!!!!! In my opinion- it's the best!!!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I've tried just about everything and Maybelline is the ONLY mascara i will use anymore- it is sooooooooo amazing!!!!!! In my opinion- it's the best!!!
I've got an Innoxa mascara which is the only one i use now, it's beautiful, but i suppose products are different on everyone

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

which one is your favorite???? right now i LOVE Glowing Touch!! I have Luxurious Cashmere too but haven't tried it yet (it smells great though!) and the tahitian one smelled yummy too when i smelled it the last time i was in walgreens
I love Caress shower gels- they always smell great and are gentle on my skin
I just noticed that you asked me this...sorry it took so long to notice and to respond! I am not sure which my fav. is. I love how they all smell! Right now I am using Evening Silk but I am almost out so I too bought Luxurious Cashmere!!! That is too funny! I have not used it yet either! I have it for when I run out of the other kind! It smells awesome though doesn't it??!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wesley's Mom

I just noticed that you asked me this...sorry it took so long to notice and to respond! I am not sure which my fav. is. I love how they all smell! Right now I am using Evening Silk but I am almost out so I too bought Luxurious Cashmere!!! That is too funny! I have not used it yet either! I have it for when I run out of the other kind! It smells awesome though doesn't it??!!
It sure does!!! I can't wait to use it (but i'm well stocked so it'll be a while
) Right now i'm using Glowing Touch and other ones in my shower. Out of all my body washes- Glowing Touch (and sexy peel by lush) are my favorites!!!
This is about my 5th bottle of Glowing Touch in the past few months!! The smell is soo yummy!!! The Luxurious Cashmere one smells good too so i can't wait to try it!
Is evening silk good?

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It sure does!!! I can't wait to use it (but i'm well stocked so it'll be a while
) Right now i'm using Glowing Touch and other ones in my shower. Out of all my body washes- Glowing Touch (and sexy peel by lush) are my favorites!!!
This is about my 5th bottle of Glowing Touch in the past few months!! The smell is soo yummy!!! The Luxurious Cashmere one smells good too so i can't wait to try it!
Is evening silk good?
Yes, Evening silk is nice. It is a relaxing smell! It's so hard to choose a favorite though because they all smell so good! I usually just try and get a different one each time I run out of one. Everytime after I shower my husband says "Mmmmmm, you smell so good!"

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wesley's Mom

Yes, Evening silk is nice. It is a relaxing smell! It's so hard to choose a favorite though because they all smell so good! I usually just try and get a different one each time I run out of one. Everytime after I shower my husband says "Mmmmmm, you smell so good!"
that one sounds yummy! i'll have to try it sometime when i run out of my other soaps!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Colin and I went to walmart last night to pick up a few things for around the house....and while i was there i swear i spent a good 15 minutes going up and down the isles just smelling all of the different body washes

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went to Lush yesterday, heehee. Bought some Ocean Salt facial cleanser!

I think I will get that shiny shampoo bar next but I really like the Karma Komba though.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

I went to Lush yesterday, heehee. Bought some Ocean Salt facial cleanser!

I think I will get that shiny shampoo bar next but I really like the Karma Komba though.
ohhhhh!!! if you try the shiny bar let me know if you like it or not!!!!!! I can't wait to place another lush order!!!!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use my own body wash that I make hehe that way I know whats in it. and i can have whatever scent i want..right now i have

Hawaiian Ginger
Amber Romance
Fresh Oranges
Pink Lemonade
and Lemon Sugar

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually Dial "Defend" w/green tea & Vitamin E, but right now I have Dial Mandarin/Mango--more summer-y smell. Also have Bath & Body Works Moonlight Path.