What pets do you have, or have you had, besides cats?

mapo5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 cats
1 great dane
5 axolotls (amphibian) & like 8 babies that survived
2 bichirs, 1 jerk oscar, 1 betta raised from an egg, 1 dojo loach (fish)
Infinite number of rotating foster kittens.

In the past I've had a snake and probably the future.

manx55siamese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had 2 mutts, and a German Shepherd who had pups, I kept two, and a small bird as a child. My sister had a cat that would constantly get in fights, come home looking like he was missing an eye, then it would heal and the eye would be fine. I never felt like a cat person.

As an adult, at 24 I acquired a handicapped Blue and Gold macaw, who is now 31, and has lost his sight due to cataracts within the last 4 yrs. I added 2 military macaws after I got married, but my ex-husband kept them after we divorced. Then I got another blue and gold macaw that passed at 11 yrs old.

Several yrs later, in 2015, I rescued a male Chihuahua, then a yr later, a female Chihuahua (a few months ago). A month ago, I took a Cockatoo in and got my very first cat a week later. I got a male Manx cat to control mice that take residence in winter. The next week, a baby kitten that captivated me with her blue eyes and beautiful markings, she's my biggest obsession.

So just recently, at one time, I had 6 pets. (2 birds, 2 dogs, and 2 cats) The exciting thing was, they all got along. The bird and cat could be inches from each other with no threat, the dogs would nap with the kittens, no one bothers the blind bird, altho, I did discover the baby kitten laying side by side with him.

Ultimately, I decided to downsize so I could give the required attention they needed, and re-homed the new bird and the male Chihuahua, even tho he was never aggressive, and great with all, people, dogs, cats and birds. It was a very difficult decision, but a responsible one.

lady kati

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I currently have 3 cats, 1 dog, 5 chickens , a 12ft fish pond (a mix of fish) and a gecko. I have always been encouraged from a youngster to have animals, so I've had all kinds of rodents, reptiles, cats and dogs of all shapes and sizes (all rescue) and many other.

A home is not a home without a furry, feathered or scaly friend waiting for you.

mountianborn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have six cats (Four outdoor two indoor, they all sleep indoors though): Jum-Jum, Tiger, Texas and Phoenix are outdoor. Princly the Cowarly cat and Ivar-Wilhelm are indoor. Ivar-Wilhelm is my long-haired baby, he goes with me everywhere, travells with me for work and such. He gets to go outdoors on a leash. Princly was a wild so he can't be let outside, he loses it.  
Texas is the only girl of the bunch. We also have three who have crossed the bridge Felix, Mio and Sirius, Sirius was a Cornish Rex.

We have three dogs. Two Nova Scotia duck tolling retrivers, the eternal puppies Max and Pax and a Ridgeback named Lisa.

My mom has three horses Pocohontas, Pikachu and Maya. I've never been much of a horse person myself but having them on the property means I have to help out.

Once upon a time I also had a bunny 

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have had: Dogs, Chipmunk, Squirrel, Sugar Glider.  Those I considered "pets" rather than just something I held captive and took care of.

Currently have: One cat at work.  Three at home.  

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have had many cats over the years but live with one Persian kitty now who is our precious fur baby.
  We had a dog who lived to the ripe old age of 16, and when our children were younger they talked us into getting: snails, crabs, turtles, fish and a hamster.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Childhood, my parents had a few dogs and more cats than I care to count.  I had a goldfish I won at a carnival, it survived a good long time.

First marriage, my ex made me get rid of the couple cats we had.  Grrrr.  And I had to leave the tropical tank behind when I left.

Second marriage, we had a cat we had to rehome, then we started getting hamsters.  That lasted until shortly after the oldest of our current cats adopted us, it kept breaking our hearts how fast they died.  One of the last hamsters was a Russian Dwarf with attitude.  The vet told me something was neurologically wrong with him, he was downright vicious, any chance he got he would bite repeatedly.  I couldn't trim his claws so I would take him to the vet.  One time I warned he was a biter, one tech had him in gloves, the other was trimming.  He was so complacent she got careless and got her thumb a tad too close and he stretched as far as he could and clamped on, she instinctively jerked and he went flying.  Our cat adopted us, and I couldn't figure out what she wanted to eat, I was trying a new food every two days.  At one point she went three days without eating, and then I came home to a smashed hamster cage.  I was in hysterics cleaning up the mess, walked down the hall and there was that little bugger strolling like he owned the place.  We figure he bit the heck out of her when she went after him.

Now it's just the three cats.  We had a goldfish tank, but they grew and then I couldn't keep it clean enough because there was too much fish for the size.  I do want to get another tropical tank though.

wahine01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some really cool sounding pets out there. I ALWAYS wanted a tortoise but we cannot keep them in NZ or Australia (that I know of anyway!).

Growing up on a farm I had lots of odd pets, here's the ones I remember:
  • Weta (a native NZ insect)
  • Countless tadpoles
  • Countless goldfish
  • Maybe a dozen dogs, usually 3 at a time (both pets and working dogs)
  • 2 pigs, one of which my dad caught in the wild when it was a piglet
  • 1 cockatoo
  • 2 house tame chickens
  • 1 duck
  • 1 brushtail possum
  • 3 goats, one of which would help us herd sheep
  • 2 romney sheep
  • 2 hereford cows
  • 1 red deer
  • 1 cockatoo
  • 5 cats (1 current)
  • 5 betta fish (2 current)
  • 8 white cloud mountain minnows (current)
  • 1 freshwater mussel (current)