What one food do you detest?

G

ghostuser

Tripe...plain or pickled. It's soo discusting! (Cow stomach)

I hate mushrooms, they're too smelly when they're raw and too slimey when cooked.

Scollops are gross, squid is gross...just about any seafood besides tunafish and haddock.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by grampngram

Fried Okra, or anything that resembles spam in any form.
hehe that made me laugh - fried Okra - only because my girlfriends dog is called Orka - and so you could imagine what images were coming to mind!!!

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think we have time for mine, lol:
onions, tomatoes, celery, all condiments, fish/seafood anything from the ocean, cabbage, any type of lettuce besides just plain lettuce (romaine makes me sick), apples, zuchini, sour cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese, cilantro (even the smell of it makes me sick to my stomach...ok lets just say there are probably over 100 more food items I will never eat. I am a very very very picky eater, I also don't like a lot of meat, I like bread....peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches are my favorite!

vinceneilsgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate...

all meat
all seafood
all dairy
honey
any food that was once an animal or comes from an animal

In other words, I'm vegan. I have been since I was 14 (I'm 27 now) and will be forever. When my fiance and I have kids they will be raised vegan and will know from day one WHY they are vegan.

However, contrary to popular belief vegans don't like all plant foods. I also don't like...

Onions
any kind of Peppers
Iceberg Lettuce
Cucumbers
Avocados (actually, I'm severely allerigc to these...I can go into anaphaltic shock and die if I even touch a counter that one has been sitting on!)

kateang

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
green leafy vegetables... i can never swallow them...
so no veg for me.... otherwise, i basically eat almost everything..

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haggis, mushrooms, liver, horseradish, and tongue.

There are a few others but I won't go into it.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, as I read through this thread I realized just how little there is that I don't like. I don't think anyone mentioned anything that I would have trouble eating -- some that I wouldn't go out of my way to have, but none that would cause me a problem at a strange dinner table.

I'm not that keen on canned vegetables, especially peas, but it's not a big deal.

When we were growing up, the line was that everyone was entitled to their tastes, but they had to be informed tastes. So, any kid who protested that he didn't like something before having tried it, was told point blank, "Don't give me that until you've tried it. If you still don't like it, I'll never ask you to eat it again -- unless you're in somebody else's home and it's a matter of manners."

Liver is one of our favourite things. Thanks for the reminder, Hissy! Barbecue season is upon us, and there's nothing like liver on the BBQ. Major Yum!

bumpy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I realised there are quite a number of you folks who hate mushrooms. Mushrooms is one of my favourite, can consume a whole can or 4 or 5 large fresh mushrooms. mmm. I can be very happy just to have a plate of mushrooms.

Generally I do not like spicy stuff, egg plant or REALLY stinky cheese. No bananas too.

BUT The one food that I really detest is this particular Japanese delicacy that was 'forced' on me, or rather it was difficult/impolite to not eat it when the host proudly brings it up to you claiming it is the delicacy of that place. What is it? It is LIVE fish, not raw but LIVE. They are actually still swimming in the bowl of water and your eating utensil is a small little net. After that experience, even the puffer fish or fugu (Poisonous fish) pales in comparison. Actually, puffer fish is quite nice and crunchy so not really a good comparison.

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love most foods. Even though I was vegetarian for quite a few years, still the thought of meat didn't bother me. When we were kids, we were each allowed one food that we didn't have to eat. Mine was headcheese. In general, meat with jelly just squicks me out, but in headcheese, its just gross. That, and the grainy texture of unknown substances....eeewwww. Otherwise, everything else is pretty much fair game.

My brother's food exclusion was mushrooms, my sister's was rice. And when we had rice for dinner, my dad would quote that wonderful poem

What's the matter with Mary Jane
She's crying with all her might and main
She won't eat her dinner, rice pudding again
oh what is the matter with Mary Jane.

and so on.

It didn't help, my sister still hated rice.