What one food do you detest?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UGH! I have to fix liver for one of my cats. Although I love my cat, liver is not my favorite thing to prepare. I do love the onions though when my mom used to fix liver and onions I could eat all the onions in the pan, just not the liver! Don't worry, I am not fixing onions for my cat! LOL

Just curious what one food you would consider to be the worst thing to eat?

Also when you were growing up, did your parents make you eat everything on your plate, and if you didn't did you get the "starving kids in India" type of lecture?

yola

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peanuts and/or sesame seeds and I have a bad allergy to both and even the smell of peanut causes me to gag.

BTW - I LOVE liver and onion!!!!!

jeeperscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomatoes, but only fresh tomatoes. I eat pasta sauce, tomato ketchup & tinned tomatoes but fresh ones make me gag............... bleurgh

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
EWWWW Tongue

Never tried it, but am sure I wouldn't like it.

The worst for me is peas out of a can. I hate canned veggies anyway, but the peas especially. My parents never made me clear my whole plate, but my aunt would. I didn't get the starving kids lecture but I got, I cook it and your gonna eat it!

jeeperscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Octopus and/or squid. Chewy, nasty tasting Not even if it was the last food on earth!
I love seafood
I've always loved to eat squid and whelks and cockles and prawns............. mmmmmmmmmmm. My boyfriend detests seafood so I don't get to eat it that often, he wouldn't ask me not to eat it but the look on his face is enough

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, Christy, I can tell you've been a victim of poorly prepared squid. I love, love LOVE calimari - fried, or steaks, or rings (appetizer at Olive Garden) but it can put you off if it's not prepared well. I do agree that Octopus sushi is an acquired taste that I have not yet acquired.

I can't stand Liver, though - think about it, it's the part of the animal that filters all the bad stuff out of the blood, and you wanna cook it and EAT it?????

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeepers, I'm with you on that one - my freezer is full of varieties of fish. I love shellfish, too, and I'm praying I don't develop an allergy like my mom did. she grew up on seafood, moved to a landlocked state for 15 years, went home for a visit and out to dinner w/hubby, had fresh oysters on the half-shell and before the entree arrived they were headed for the nearest ER - CHECK PLEASE!! Poor mum, she was so disappointed.

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tomatos! Ick. I have a consistency problem with them. It just seems like they're not "done". (Strangely enough, I love tomato sauce, but it has to be smooth. If there are chunks of tomato I won't eat it.)

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bananas, and onions. Not together of course. But it couldn't be much worse than separate to me. Growing up, just the smell of bananas would make me hurl. Mom put onions in everything...Dad and I hated them. Oh, and canned peas too. Mom wanted to put them in everything too. She settled on heating a can for herself and putting them on just about whatever we were having....

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I like liver if it is in pate or haggis
But by itself, no way!

I don't like fresh tomatoes but if its in salsa, I go crazy!

Whitebait - I HATE it!!!!!
It is a big delicacy in NZ - people cook them in fritters - they cook them with their eyes still in and to this day, I cannot eat it - looking at the eyes makes me want to puke!

2rascalkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never ate liver before, and my stomach probably wouldn't agree with it either. Although I do like squid (tako- hawaiian appetizer), and raw fish (ahi poke, sashimi). Sushi I just love!

The one thing I hated was having to eat Lima (sp?) beans! Oh my Uncle would make a certain meal and add lima beans as a side. My cousins and I had to sit at the table and weren't allowed to leave until we ate everything, especially the lima beans. Yup, got the "there are starving kids in Somalia" too. Haha!

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was one of them who had to eat everything what was on my plate as a child and to this day I am forcing myself to emty my plate
. How ever I have not raised my son this way and think there is no need for that . Yea , I herd the story of the starving kids LOL .
The germans cook a lot of intestens (sp) the insite from animals like liver and kiddney and the other stuff
. I always got sick when it was just cooked at home
I am talking about pig and pig and pig

I do eat liver and onions , but not from a big eww . I also grow up poor and so we had a lot of bread soup to eat and to this day I hate it

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will say, we got off pretty easy as far as what we had to eat as kids. We had to try everything at least once, but if we didn't like it that was fine. Mom got the "Kids starving in China" line when she was growing up and always thought it was stupid. And she got in BIG trouble when she finally told her mother "Fine, then send it to them! I don't want it!"
Dad was forced to eat everything on his plate, including his all time most hated food, brussel sprouts. I never even knew what a brussel sprout looked like until I saw them in college!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissy, I LOVE liver, any kind, but preferrably fried, which is a good thing, 'cause my hub fed it to me every day for about a week after I had surgery last year !

Foods that I hate? I cannot BEAR mushrooms on pizza, or in any form where they are rubbery, but don't mind them raw or prepared correctly. Can't stand olives either.
Nope, I didn' get the "starving kids" lecture, mom never had that problem with me !

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I pretty much agree with several people here. I hate, hate, hate Cilantro. I can't stand liver, and the texture of banana's make me sick. I like the taste of the banana, but about half way thru, the slick slimey texture gags me.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate Tuna Fish.
I also can't stand chunky tomatoes. I love ketchup though!

Lisa & Sash