What Meal........

islander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our preferences were always respected but in those post war days of food rationing ( UK 1940s) you ate all that was on your plate. Once sat a few hours in front of five chips (fries) Ashamed to say I obeyed a note from a friend to hide them in my pocket!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Pancakes, oddly enough. It wasn't because I didn't like the taste, but because I always felt very ill after eating them, which my parents thought was just an excuse. It later turned out that I was experiencing reactive hypoglycemia. I still can't eat them.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Our preferences were always respected but in those post war days of food rationing ( UK 1940s) you ate all that was on your plate. Once sat a few hours in front of five chips (fries) Ashamed to say I obeyed a note from a friend to hide them in my pocket!
I remember sitting in front of a plate of cold peas while the rest of the family was in the living room watching TV. I probably ate them because I would never have dared to put them in my pocket. :lol:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Dad used to make this .... Soup?..... Stew?..... Rice?..... I don't know what to call it. It started with a box of jumbalaya mix then he added everything else. It would end up being a large pot of pretty much every style bean (black, red, Pinot, green beans, garbanzo, you name it), seasoning, corn, tomato sauce, tomatoes juice, tomato chunks, basically anything he could find in the pantry. I know that is the spirit of jumbalaya, but this just became a reddish brown soupy mess.

Most dishes at my house suffer from surprise additions or too many additions. Raisins in meatloaf? They rehydrate and become more like grapes if you were curious. Soups and stews like the jumbalaya that suffer from leftovers being added in (acorn squash seems to be a favorite).

Another is my Mom's sloppy joes. Somehow it turns into sloppy soup every year or so and I have to remind her that the goal is to eat it as a sandwich, not a soup. But her and my Dad like to put bread in the bottom of the bowl then put the mix on top. Which, fine that's their thing but it isn't a sloppy joe at that point.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
curried rice...:barf:...instant rice cooked with curry powder, until dry. and frozen 'tv' dinners. :fear: this was way back in the 70's, so they weren't like the frozen meals available today. and that's likely a big part of the reason that i cook my meals as an adult.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I can hardly write this without getting nauseated; liver and onions.
:yeah: My sister and I absolutely detested when our mom would make liver. I used to smother it with ketchup and still could not bring myself to eat it. The mere thought of it makes me want to :barfgreen: :barf:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We didn't eat this as a kid but I absolutely HATE Manwich sauce. It's just a can of ketchup with a few tiny bits of green pepper in it. DH loved it. So does DD so I used to make it for them sometimes. I'd keep some of the meat out of it and just make myself a hamburger.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I can't think of anything that I didn't like then and still don't like now. I didn't care for liver and onions then, but I do love it now. Didn't care for endive or dandelion with a warm bacon dressing, but I like it now (and miss it since my mom died).

Mom basically cooked meat and potatoes because that's what Dad wanted.

I despise La Choy chow mein with a passion. Rick loves the stuff, so we do buy it, but I find something else for my supper. He also loves creamed Spam; his mom made it when he was a kid, so it's a comfort food for him. I'll make creamed Spam for him sometimes when I know he's a bad day and he really enjoys it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spam is good if you slice it thin and pan fry it until it's crispy. DH found a recipe once for a Spam quiche with swiss cheese and onions. I made it for him and he loved it. I haven't made it in ages.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a few people who love Spam. They make kind of like a burger with it and put mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce on it. I haven't had it in years but Winchester Winchester and Kat0121 Kat0121 have made me want to try it again.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's that Spam quiche recipe. When I made it, I browned the Spam cubes and sauteed the onions with it. It's quite good. Even DD ate it and she's not a big egg fan.

Spam Swiss Pie

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Raisins in meatloaf?
something about this made me literally laugh out loud, --it's definitely stretching the "let's add this to the pot" method :lol:

Although Mom didn't like to cook or bake, we lived in the country in South Dakota when I was a kid and those farm and ranch ladies seriously KNEW how to cook. They taught Mom, and Dad and I were the happy eaters of the results :thumbsup: :yummy:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I almost forgot about the canned venison. I grew up in the country where there wasn’t much money but a whole lot of land to garden and to hunt in. And so my parents like most neighbors didn’t buy what they could grow and hunt. Pheasants, ducks and other wildlife were often on the menu and for the most part were delicious. Venison was a different story. Because we didn’t have a large freezer there was only one way to preserve the meat and that was to can it. And as long as we had canned venison, no matter how (very) nasty it tasted, there was no store bought meat. My sister and I hated that venison so much we would sneak down to the basement, take a few jars and roll them far under the large shelving that held all our canned goods, so that we could get rid of it faster.

We were never caught but about forty years later we had to confess when my mom removed the shelving and was mystified why there were so many jars of venison underneath it.

Last edited: